↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fitting Safari Equip Tree Slders to a 110.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Holy hell, that was a challenge! Finally got one side fitted properly.

I ended up having to cut the rearmost mounting bracket to allow it to sit in the right position. It would have have been 10mm or so too far forward otherwise.

Click image to enlarge

The other side should be a lot quicker now I know all the pitfalls.

The full list of challenges as follows that might help someone else

- Needed longer m12 x 200 bulkhead bolts plus spacer washers so I could shim the slider forward or backwards to get the right position within the arches.

- I drilled the outrigger holes slightly oversize at 10mm which greatly aided shuffling everything into position.

- I needed longer bolts for some of the 8mm mountings as the ones supplied aren’t long enough if you need more than one shim. I needed 2 shims on the middle mount.

- I had to cut the rear mounting bracket as shown above as it was fouling the chassis when trying the get the alignment right.

- Had to substantially lengthen the slotted holes in the rear bracket to allow the slider to be adjusted up nice and close to the c-post.

- used foam and the black rtv on all the joints where slider butts up to another panel to stop rubbing, corrosion and neaten the job

- There are m8 tapped holed in either end of the sliders to secure the wheel arch. I needed to use some spacers on the bolt between the arch and slider so that I could tighten the bolt without crushing the wheel arch. Luckily I had some nylon M8 spacer washer left over from a tv wall mount kit which were perect.

- Needed to space the from mud flap down slight to stop it rubbing on the bottom of the tree slider. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS

Last edited by Bluest on 16th Jun 2021 10:31pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #908219 16th Jun 2021 8:52pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
I definitely didn't have to do that much when i fitted ours.

That's surely worthwhile feeding back to equip or at least pointing them to this thread so they can read just how much we're all struggling to fit their products. Would be good for them to see so they can adjust.

They make some lovely kit but that's all kind of pointless if you need an angle grinder to adjust it before you can fit it!!
Post #908236 16th Jun 2021 10:09pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
As far as I remember I just drilled a couple of holes and bolted them on when I fitted mine, I don't even remember using any shims or spacers. I'm amazed that you had so much trouble! What does that say about LR build tolerances?
Post #908243 16th Jun 2021 10:35pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Struggling with it being the defenders fault entirely... If it were that bad the (comparably accurate) overall length of the doors would mean the doors wouldn't fit on half of them surely?

.....edit.

Though admittedly it should be easier to order a length of oblong bar, bend some tube and weld it on and pop some brackets on it in terms of repeatability of manufacturing and tolerance controll than an ally body on a steel frame... Put together with rivets.
Post #908245 16th Jun 2021 10:39pm
Bluest

It probably would have been possible just to do that, but then I’d have had to trim the front arch and had a gap to to rear one which would have irritated the hell out of me. I don’t think the cutting that bracket has actually compromised the strength of the slider that much. The things are well overbuilt.

I’ll put some better pics up when I next get chance to work on the 2nd slider. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #908247 16th Jun 2021 10:41pm
Bluest

Quick pic of the side I’ve done

Click image to enlarge

I think it looks rather smart, it was worth the stress to avoid cutting the arches and have it sit in nice and tight to the body.

The other side is proving much less hassle for some reason, so should be all done tomorrow 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #908461 18th Jun 2021 6:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12