↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear hub removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pannawonica

Australia 
Rear hub removal
Does the rear caliper need too be disconnected to remove the hub/disc assembly? Or is there enough play in the steel brake pipe to allow for clearance. I’m on a quick mission too grease/clean the wheel bearings. Would I be correct in thinking the brake pad indicator plug ( grey and marked Germany) just pulls straight out? It seemed tight so gave it a little spray, to come back later too. Thumbs Up
Post #684699 7th Feb 2018 5:03am
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
If you unclip the metal brake pipe from the clips on the axle you'll be fine Thumbs Up
Post #684706 7th Feb 2018 7:17am
pannawonica

Australia 
Thanks, that’s what I thought however wanted to be sure and hear from someone’s experience! Thumbs Up Very Happy
Post #684714 7th Feb 2018 8:49am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Yes, as WTD says, unclip the brake pipe, carefully move the caliper out of the way, then tie the caliper up on a suitable hangar. I usually insert a flat steel bar between the top of the chassis rail and the bottom of the rear tub to hang the caliper from.

As long as you are fairly careful not to bend the brake pipe you'll have no problems.
Post #684725 7th Feb 2018 9:51am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Can confirm for thrice that it can be done. So much better than bleeding them again!

But yes, it's borderline so be careful not to bend them too far. If I recall I actually undid the t-junction on top of the axle after the flex section to give me a bit of left and right play too.

Tied them up with accessory cord. Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #684747 7th Feb 2018 11:30am
pannawonica

Australia 
Just checked the hubs no detectable play, being a 2011 with 95KKms bit of easy preventable maintenance wont be amiss! Just done my 2ton trailer 5years old grease seals very ordinary. So new corteco seals going in on arrival from Uk. Appreciate your words of wisdom as ever! Thumbs Up Very Happy
Post #684754 7th Feb 2018 12:19pm
mrwoo

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Hi All

I thought I would share my rear hub removal woes for your entertainment and advice.

So, I needed to replace my rear half shafts and all was going well, I successfully replaced the near side then went about the drivers side. This is where my life took a turn for the worse & I snapped one of the bolts holding the flange to the hub Big Cry

I was able to still replace the end flange and insert the half shaft but I needed to remove the snapped bolt in the hub, I tried everything, heat, removal tool etc but to no avail so I went about removing the hub to see if I could get at the bolt from the back, you cant...

Now I'm used to a hub on other models where there is a locking nut and washer but at some point in Land Rover's infinite Wisdom they decided to replace this with a one nut that is locked/squashed down against the stub axle to hold it in place. Now clearly a nut where you bang down a threaded side to it is open to becoming damaged when chiselling open like you would with the locking washer. So I opened the nut up and went about undoing it with a 52mm socket and break bar. This is where the knackerd nut munched it's way through the stub axle threads Big Cry Big Cry

So I now have a hub with a bolt I cant get out and a threaded stub axle.
I've just replaced new parts but I want to know if there is a method for removing the hub nut without the risk of damaging the thread on the stub axle? For ref the hub nut is part number RFD100000. Thumbs Up 1964 Series IIA SWB Truck Cab - gone
1981 Series III SWB Hardtop - gone
1982 Series III SWB Hardtop - gone
1997 300Tdi Defender 90 Hardtop - gone
1983 Series III SWB Station Wagon - gone
1979 Series III SWB Station Wagon - gone
2007 90 CSW - gone
2010 USW XS - gone
2010 110 USW - gone

1959 Series II Truck Cab
1984 Series III CSW
2004 TD5 90 CSW
Post #907752 14th Jun 2021 11:31am