Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
Possible 300 Tdi Head.
Hi all

Please bare with me on this one.

As you might or might not know that Millie had another engine fitted, which was from a Disco and had done around 165,000 miles, i have added another 20,000 miles to that, when my indy fitted it into Millie he checked / replaced all gaskets and all has been good up to now Very Happy

She has just gone and had another 6,000 mile service and to check / find the cause of the water usage, i suspect it's the head but it is a AMC head and he has never had one go on him, so he did a pressure test, both tests were done when the engine was cold and hot, he did a 10 psi and then a 15 psi and found nothing to indicate there was a crack in the head Rolling Eyes so this leaves me back to square one Rolling Eyes

I'm still thinking it's the head as the harder you work Millie the more water she uses, if working her she will use up all a header tank full ( filled to the correct level ) and say when your on the way to work in the morning, once she has warmed up a bit, i get the normal black smoke but if you come to a roundabout, junction or have to stop, when you pull away a load of white smoke / steam comes out and after that the normal black smoke, so is it the head or something else ?

Thank you for reading this and your thoughts Very Happy

P.S. If anyone has a 100% good head or even a turner head that they would like to part with, please let me know, many thanks Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #906952 8th Jun 2021 7:48pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Why the head ? Couldn’t it just be the head gasket ??
Post #906960 8th Jun 2021 8:20pm
L110CDL

England 
My indy is thinking more to the head than a head gasket at the moment as when working her harder the crack would open up more so using more water or would the same apply to the head gasket as well ? 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #906965 8th Jun 2021 8:44pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
My 200Tdi developed symptoms of minor water loss a number of years ago, there were no external leaks or other signs until one day it struggled to turn over - but only ever very rarely and it would go second time as normal. I believe what was happening was the head was cracked between the water jacket and one of the inlet or exhaust ports, and if the engine happened to stop at the right point in the cycle a tiny amount of water would enter the cylinder and then inhibit movement on the next start attempt.

I fitted another head which solved it, I did mean to get the old one tester to confirm the diagnosis but haven’t got round to it yet! No idea if it can even be fixed, but given how rare the heads are getting these days I’ve since acquired another spare.
Post #906967 8th Jun 2021 8:54pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Perhaps the gasket is tested along with the pressure test? Perhaps not I’m not an expert but I’d assume the gasket would be included with the pressure test in situ.
As you probably know, white smoke is normally lean and black smoke rich.
White can include water though as steam as you say.

I’d be inclined to think you may have a slow water leak, but not the in the engine.
Hairline crack in radiator, hose losing pressure, water pump leaking.

Usually you can find traces of coolant somewhere even if dried up, and usually in the most difficult to see places.

The harder she works, the hotter she will be and that as you know builds pressure in the system.
A hairline crack in something could lose pressure, and auxiliary items can still be very hot and the coolant if in small quantities burn off hence you don’t notice an actual leak.

I had this with the water pump, it would not leak at all when cold but once up to temp leak like a sieve.
Which was feather problematic as you can imagine!

I tracked it down to the water pump and even then I only knew due to coolant traces dried on.. it had to be hot and leaking to see it wet at all..

Even when I finally went to replace it, I couldn’t see a problem with it but it was the gasket on it that it was coming from.
So there was a pressure leak there under pressure when hot.

Replaced it with a Borg and Beck one for a good price and NOT Genuine and it’s been perfect ever since. Excellent for such good value as well.

It developed after really cold freezing weather, which we had back in early spring this year.
That maybe something to do with it? It is probably due to extremes of temperature and expansion and contraction due to temperature changes.

I would pressure test the water system, unless this has already been done the whole system?
Heater matrix leaks is possible too but I only have a limited scope of knowledge and don’t profess to be an expert.

Maybe a few ideas to think about though. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #906971 8th Jun 2021 9:00pm
L110CDL

England 
^ ^ ^

Thank you Steve for your thoughts Thumbs Up

I can't find any water leak what so ever, hot or cold but as you mentioned, if the water did leak out from around the water pump, it would hit the block and evaporate so food for thought and i'm not sure if he did a water pressure test, will find out on that one Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #906977 8th Jun 2021 9:19pm
L110CDL

England 
Retroanaconda wrote:
My 200Tdi developed symptoms of minor water loss a number of years ago, there were no external leaks or other signs until one day it struggled to turn over - but only ever very rarely and it would go second time as normal. I believe what was happening was the head was cracked between the water jacket and one of the inlet or exhaust ports, and if the engine happened to stop at the right point in the cycle a tiny amount of water would enter the cylinder and then inhibit movement on the next start attempt.

I fitted another head which solved it, I did mean to get the old one tester to confirm the diagnosis but haven’t got round to it yet! No idea if it can even be fixed, but given how rare the heads are getting these days I’ve since acquired another spare.

Thank you Retroanaconda, that sounds about right but not had any aqua locking yet, had that badly on the last engine head Rolling Eyes 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #906978 8th Jun 2021 9:21pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
I does sound like head or head gasket. The only real way to confirm is substitution. Personally, despite the cost, I'd buy a new head and an Ehlring head gasket and get it fitted. A second hand head may be just the same as the original.
Whilst you save for the head scour every bit of the cooling system for anti freeze residue on a regular basis in the hope that the water loss is a previously undiscovered coolant leak.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #907009 9th Jun 2021 6:58am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
If you’ve got a coolant leak you should be able to smell it burning of the hot engine. Had it a few times on various vehicles. I’d still suspect the head gasket first. More of a common failure, but you won’t know for sure until you split it.
Post #907021 9th Jun 2021 8:49am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
I've got a known good spare head here Clayton... Don't want to part with it but I could loan it to you if you wanted to try swapping it over.

My father had a similar issue on his Shogun and the hairline crack was found in the head with duck oil and confirmed using penetrating fluid (like for testing welds). Think they pressure tested it and didn't notice anything. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #907086 9th Jun 2021 5:46pm
L110CDL

England 
^ ^ ^

Bow down Thank you for the offer Ed but i will decline as the way Millie is going through heads at the moment and i'm not sure you will get it back in the same condition Thumbs Up

Again, thank you so much for the offer Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #907108 9th Jun 2021 7:58pm
L110CDL

England 
Mo Murphy wrote:
I does sound like head or head gasket. The only real way to confirm is substitution. Personally, despite the cost, I'd buy a new head and an Ehlring head gasket and get it fitted. A second hand head may be just the same as the original.
Whilst you save for the head scour every bit of the cooling system for anti freeze residue on a regular basis in the hope that the water loss is a previously undiscovered coolant leak.
Mo

Yes i will start saving for a new head and my indy only uses Ehlring head gaskets Very Happy

I do check on a regular basis under the bonnet for any signs of leaks and smells as i'm filling the header tank up at least once or twice in the day, depending on what work Millie has done Rolling Eyes 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #907109 9th Jun 2021 8:02pm
sako243

What about adding some hydra fluorescein to the header tank and then checking with a UV light. Not sure whether it evaporates off as well though but might be worth a shot.

I assume the head and block have been checked for straightness? Although the head gasket should account for a fair amount. Ed
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #907115 9th Jun 2021 8:10pm
sako243

L110CDL wrote:
^ ^ ^

Bow down Thank you for the offer Ed but i will decline as the way Millie is going through heads at the moment and i'm not sure you will get it back in the same condition Thumbs Up

Again, thank you so much for the offer Thumbs Up

In all likelihood it won't be used as I seem to have cured most of the issues on the 110 now and there's hopefully a V8 not too far off. Could be a you break it you buy it scenario.

Also got a complete block with timing cover etc., but a snapped crank. There's also the short block from another engine (again with a snapped crank). Ed
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #907118 9th Jun 2021 8:12pm
L110CDL

England 
Hopefully when you have got the V8 in the 110, then i could buy the head off of you Question 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #907121 9th Jun 2021 8:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>