↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My New Defender (L663) > My 110 x-Dynamic D300 6 months old.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

There might still be plenty of ICE vehicles around and for sure diesel and petrol,will have plenty of years life BUT there is one thing that could force us all to EVs very quickly - a pollution tax on diesel and petrol that will tax the cars off the road and I’m sure is coming. Until it comes or batteries get significantly more efficient I’ll stick with with my modern hitech diesel but I might have to get rid of my TDi300 and reduce to one Land Rover just to pay the extra taxes on fuel and VED

Don’t knock EV’s, they are getting better and better. As charging rates increase on both the cars and the chargers time to charge us coming down - on the latest superchargers it’s as little as 10-80% charge in 18 minutes now and many 22kw unreliable chargers are being replaced by 350kw chargers. My experience of two years with a PHEV wasn’t great on public chargers on long distance travel - mostly because of “protectionism” by charger networks who either don’t maintain their chargers or make it really really difficult to pay for a charge unless you have their RFID card or app (which also are an enormous let down if the phone/data signal is poor) - contactless is getting there but the roll out is taking forever in less densely populated areas. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #907008 9th Jun 2021 6:57am
Andy S

United Kingdom 
EV's don't have an engine, to me that's the heart of a car and what you become attached to if you in any way a car enthusiast.
They are the work of the devil despite so many positive reviews.
Post #907060 9th Jun 2021 3:39pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
My issue with EVs is personal to my circumstances, which are what dictates my purchasing choices.

I don’t do high mileage but what I do is long range trips, like 550 miles from Heeland Gaff to Gaff Down Sauff. That means a break in the middle of a 10 hour drive that would end up meaning an overnight stay. Plus a sizeable break in day 1 or day 2. I’ve got better things to do than sit in a hotel channel hopping while thinking I should have been home by then. Plus hate to think what battery miles would be like in winter with everything on, like lights, AC, heating , radio, the works. So that means don’t leave Perth heading N until the leckie “tank” is virtually full as there would be nowhere to squeeze juice in between Perth and home. And that’s before the military precision type operation that seems to be needed to undertake any journey that’s not out and back on a full battery. It all assumes it all goes to plan (thinking plans never survive the first contact with the enemy/reality). Compared with 5 minutes to put 600 miles range in my Karoq, EVs are just bonkers.

Well for me anyway. Whistle Whistle
Post #907082 9th Jun 2021 5:30pm
J77

Scotland 
Carry a couple of packs of triple As and you’ll be fine Laughing 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #907094 9th Jun 2021 7:03pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
Could be the answer. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Laughing
Post #907099 9th Jun 2021 7:36pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Andy S wrote:
EV's don't have an engine, to me that's the heart of a car and what you become attached to if you in any way a car enthusiast.
They are the work of the devil despite so many positive reviews.

Crumbs. You got to drive the ID3. 0-40 is stupidly quick and very addictive.

Click image to enlarge
Post #907128 9th Jun 2021 8:45pm
zilch

Australia 
A hard decision in Australia 🇦🇺 due to the distances that you have to cover, I thought
the balance of 395HP coupled with a mild hybrid was a reasonable compromise, and still
gave a nod to reducing my carbon footprint Whistle yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #907727 14th Jun 2021 7:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12