↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Lakes Green Laning trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Lakes Green Laning trip
Or A Grand Day Out 2

On Friday last week I ventured south into the southern Lake District to join a couple of other ND110 owners for a day out on various lanes. Rather than do the round trip all in a single day and end up shattered I booked two nights in a hotel, Friday and Saturday. Even two months in advance the nearest reasonable cost accommodation I could find was at J44 M6 Premier Inn. 35 miles north of Saturday morning start at 0800.
What a day, >20C clear blue skies for the most part and some stunning and quite challenging driving. Rock Crawl was the TR setting if the day with some lanes do-able in GGS. Our leader Nigel Simpson from the All New Defender Off Road Group on FB had done the recc’ing and produced a brilliant gpx file fior electronic maps and a great text file describing the run planned. Unfortunately due to delays by traffic in Windermere and Ambleside we lost an hour in stop start crawling tourist traffic between a couple of the lanes so had to miss out two less exciting tracks to make up the time.
Car performed brilliantly, the clear gloss wrap I have paid for itself as some lanes are only just wide enough for a New Defender and there was a fair bit of overhanging branch and scratchy brambles in places. Also when I went out to the car on Saturday morning the near side roof and bonnet were heavily fouled with seagull poop - the PI at Carlisle gas a roof covered with seagull nests and the car park is under their flight path.

Fuel consumption- stirling Sainsbury forecourt to Carlisle to J38 Truckstops then around the lanes and bye ways back to Carlisle on the motorway and this morning a 2 hour run back to Stirling Sainsburys forecourt - no top ups enroute, arrived Stirling with just a tad over ¼ tank remaining according to the gauge. Fulled to 3rd click of the cut off at the same pump as I filled before leaving on Friday works out at 62.75ltr burned cost £79.63p and according to my Fuelly account 393 miles run at 28.75mpg overall for the trip - cannot complain at that considering all the fun I had. On the motorways I sat on the cruise control set at 70 (yes I’m a boring old fart but I was in no hurry and I pay for my fuel out of my pension…..) I didn’t use the ECO setting of the TR at all but had the eco display showing on the Pivipro. I managed for the first 60-70 miles even at 70 on uphill all the way to maintain 98% efficiency BUT I had to put my foot down to get into in the outside lane and that immediately knocked the effficiency rating to below 85% and never got it back above 92% after that………. I have noticed that one moderate braking also shatters any attempt to stay over 90%

The cars - all 110’s, would have been nice to have had a 90 join in to see how it faired on coil springs. There was the lead cat - a Black 110 D250 HSE with ediff and 18” Duratracs on steel wheels a roof tent, ATPC and TR2
- a Black 110 D250 S on 19” alloys with GY Adventures, no ediff but ATPC and TR2
And my Pangea Green D240 First Edition running 20” Duratracs on alloys, no ediff but I have ATPC and TR2
The HSE and I had rear recovery points and all 3 cars had the front protection plate with exposed front recovery point.

Observations - in Rock Crawl all 3 of us experienced the ECU/ software holding onto 1st gear to absurdly high revs encouraging us to use command shift to change up manually - even at a crawl in low 3rd these engines are at max torque already by 1200rpm in the D250 and 1400 in my D240, there’s no need to have antisocial screaming rpm.
HDC - to be able to use it down control the speed down to 2mph is brilliant especially in a car with an auto gear box
Cameras……. The two wing mirror cams and the clear bonnet view were invaluable and they never stopped working the entire day, even when folded in there’s still enough view to see the side of the car and the high verges.
As it was dry we never inhibited the DSC but on the rocky crawls it was noticeable that the GSE with the ediff had less rear wheel spin but the other two of us didn’t have large amounts of it either without it’s benefit.

A Grand Day Out and the trip up Sadgill as far as the locked access to the Gatescarth Pass brought back memories for me of doing a South/Nortntrip over it in March 2004 in my 90 that then featured in LRM.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

……. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #906642 6th Jun 2021 12:15pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Looks pretty amazing... any chance you can share the gpx file?
Post #906647 6th Jun 2021 12:54pm
Tim in Scotland

I’ve sent you a pm Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #906656 6th Jun 2021 2:27pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Can you make that two sets of files pls. I know some of the Lakes routes but not all as a local lad! 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #906666 6th Jun 2021 4:18pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
The width puts me off taking the RR, did do the Old Coach Road the other week though - no brambles there…
Post #906668 6th Jun 2021 4:29pm
Popski

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Superb day out
Looks like you had a cracking day out. Great readout on how the vehicles fared.
Post #906691 6th Jun 2021 8:13pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Philip wrote:
The width puts me off taking the RR, did do the Old Coach Road the other week though - no brambles there…

Has the bomb hole been filled in I seem to remember somebody telling me a while ago that it had?
Post #906705 6th Jun 2021 9:24pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I heard it was passable, I can find out for you in a week Cool finally home.
Post #906706 6th Jun 2021 9:50pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
You could get a Fiesta over the coach road now, still a nice view though.

Looks a nice day out.
Post #906707 6th Jun 2021 9:56pm
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green

Click image to enlarge

😉😉😉
Post #906719 7th Jun 2021 6:49am
Tim in Scotland

If you ever book into the J44 M6 Carlisle Premier Inn be very careful where you park up for the night………. Don’t park right in front of the building on the reception entrance side, park opposite the building near the trees on the road side of the car park or in the huge car park at the rear of the building (where you cannot see your car!)
Strange recommendation? Well not if you don’t want your car to be a toilet for the hotel’s resident flock of seagulls………this was after a day on the lanes and a 130 mile drive home……. First job after unpacking the car was to hose it down, I had the car clear gloss wrapped with PPF so not a huge concern to get it washed off to avoid paint damage but I pity the motorcycle owner who parked his Harley Tour Glide next to my car overnight and had to wash the seat off before he could drive away….

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Even the hotel windows were covered in bird sh*it Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #906732 7th Jun 2021 9:43am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
First rule of Project Mayhem Tim, we don’t talk about Project Mayhem.

Someone will get that… Laughing
Post #906743 7th Jun 2021 10:17am
Philip

United Kingdom 
defender9 wrote:
Philip wrote:

Has the bomb hole been filled in I seem to remember somebody telling me a while ago that it had?

Yes, a lot of time and effort has gone into repairs - the rocky steps at the western end are the only bit you need any clearance for.
Post #906746 7th Jun 2021 10:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1