↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Grenadier arrives in the US of A
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
@ResGuy68.
What's the view on Wrangler reliability and build quality in the USA? I've got a 2018 JLU Rubicon 2.2 diesel over here in the UK and unfortunately it has been a real lemon. In 2 1/2 years of ownership I have lost count of the number of times it has been into various dealerships to try and get faults fixed. Most times it has taken several visits per fault and I estimate it has now spent over ten weeks off the road. (And that's not in the hills Rolling Eyes ). Such a shame because when it is working it is a great vehicle.
Post #907034 9th Jun 2021 10:28am
ResGuy68

United States 
I'm sorry you've had such a rough experience with your Jeep! We used to joke that the brand stood for "just empty every pocket." The wranglers have generally gotten quite a bit better, but unfortunately, it sounds like there are a few lemons out there still (reasons below).

On a personal note, we've put 90k on a JK and have had zero problems. This jeep has the classic 3.6L V6, and speaking with other users, this is a common positive experience. I'll note that this is a very old power train and it accordingly should be reliable in the same way that 4runners are reliable. Simply never change anything!

I will say that jeep has recently introduced "newer" engine options in US in the form of a 3.0L diesel, a 4-cylinder turbo and (now) a hybrid option. From what I've heard, these options have generally been more problem ridden.

The diesel was taken from the Ram truck offerings where it has been around for about 7 years (now in it's 2nd generation). Users tend to love the engine. However, there are a reasonable number of people who have had issues. And when they've had issues, they have had a TON of issues. Many purchasers of the diesel buy them with the intent of "circumventing" the problem causing emissions systems. And, I believe problem rates would be even higher if we didn't have some of those "backyard garage" mods mixed in. As a general rule, diesel emissions regs in the US are VERY tight. All automakers are struggling to make reliable small diesels here and Jeep's performance isn't different from peers.

The 4-cylinder is quite young but hasn't (to my knowledge) been a big issue. This is impressive in the context of it being a young engine and a turbo.

The hybrid is just getting rolled out and feedback has so far been spotty (some good, some bad).

I'm curious about the 2.2L and where Jeep sourced it from (we don't have a 2.2L in the US). Likewise, I do wonder if they have different transmissions or electronics pairings which could further be causing issues.
Post #907712 13th Jun 2021 11:27pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
The 2.2 diesel is Fiat, used in Alfa Romeos.
Post #907713 13th Jun 2021 11:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12