↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Orders 2022MY (L663) > Wheel and tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
Wheel and tyres
Having just ordered a 110 for delivery later this year, I’ve been on the configurator. With regard to selecting off road tyres, this results not only in additional cost of £255.00 for Goodyear Wrangler All terrain adventure tyres which presumably are factory fitted as the GY Wrangler Duratec tyres are a retailer fit option , but also an uplift of £255.00 for any wheels also. So total cost is £510.00 which would seem to be an expensive way to fit off road tyres. The factory fit all season tyres appear to be Pirelli which are quite long lasting , from previous experience on FFRRs they are good for 25k miles min .
So, what then happens to the Pirelli’s if one goes for off road tyres either dealer or factory fit ? They are worth money to sell on....
The other alternative is to go with the standard Pirelli’s not therefore paying the uplift and then replace with off road tyres 25k down the road...

Also noticing that all paint bar white is now extra which is wasn’t in the past...I guess JLR realised that when they introduced the likes of British racing green and other special colours on RRS SVR models etc and people happily paid £6k for their colour of choice that is was a great wheeze to charge extra for any paint bar white...bit like Henry Ford 100 years ago .
£1800 extra for Carpathian when in the past was a no cost option on a variety of LR models is hard to stomach.
Post #905665 29th May 2021 9:50pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
Adding to my theoretical maths, if the Slovakian factory purchases 5 Pirellis at a large bulk discount to what we would pay over here ..say £100 per tyre = £500. They add on 100pc margin to the consumer price of a new Defender = £1000.00.
They don’t fit them and use the Goodyear tyre instead at probably similar price and charge additional £510.00 . They then use the original Pirellis for another Defender ,so the add profit for one purchaser going for off road tyres could equate to circa £1500.00

Just correcting myself - the total uplift included wheels and tyres is £255.00 as the configurator increases by £255.00 so add margin = circa £1250.00
Post #905669 29th May 2021 10:11pm
Tim in Scotland

I kept my Pirelli’s when I got a good deal on a set of GY Duratracs from KwikFit. There is a For Sale section on the FB Defender group with a few sets of the All Seasons on it but no indictation if they have sold or not, there are also a few sets of the Pirelli’s for sale on eBay - so the market might be a bit flooded with take off 20” Pirelli All Seasons from New Defenders.

The optional more aggressive AT through your dealer is the GY Duratrac, I’ve found them to be pretty good - quiet on road and there hasn’t been any increase in fuel consumption running all the time on them. In 7500 miles with them on I’ve no signs of any wear yet.

Quite a few owners are now fitting BFG’s but these are rare as hen’s teeth here in the U.K. and also are not a tyre that has been approved by LR unlike the Duratracs. Main drawback of the Duratrac is that there are two speed ratings, Q and H - the H ones seem to be impossible to find in the U.K. I queried it with my insurers (NFU) who weren’t worried Q or H rated tyres even though my D240 is capable of 119mph - so far in a mostly locked down year the chances to get to even 70mph in mine have been few and far between! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #905678 30th May 2021 6:50am
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 
@Tim in Scotland
Quote:
Quite a few owners are now fitting BFG’s but these are rare as hen’s teeth here in the U.K. and also are not a tyre that has been approved by LR unlike the Duratracs.

Where can I find the list of recommended tyres by LR? Thx. 22MY Defender 110 (actual) | 10MY Freelander 2 (history) | 15MY Discovery Sport HSE (history)
Post #905709 30th May 2021 10:54am
martinf

United Kingdom 
peanutbob wrote:
Adding to my theoretical maths, if the Slovakian factory purchases 5 Pirellis at a large bulk discount to what we would pay over here ..say £100 per tyre = £500. They add on 100pc margin to the consumer price of a new Defender = £1000.00.
They don’t fit them and use the Goodyear tyre instead at probably similar price and charge additional £510.00 . They then use the original Pirellis for another Defender ,so the add profit for one purchaser going for off road tyres could equate to circa £1500.00

Just correcting myself - the total uplift included wheels and tyres is £255.00 as the configurator increases by £255.00 so add margin = circa £1250.00

I don't agree. Assuming as you propose that the Goodyears cost JLR the same as the Pirellis then the additional profit is £255 which is the amount extra that they charge for the Goodyears
Post #905712 30th May 2021 11:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1