↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Where is this leak coming from?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
KiwiNCFC

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Arles Blue
Where is this leak coming from?
Hi guys, had this little oil leak for a while now and it always appears to form a drip point just under the wading hole on the gearbox.

I degreased the area and left it for a day or two and found this :

Click image to enlarge

It appears to be coming from the rear or the oil sump pan and you can see a few of the oil sump bolt heads covered in oil. I removed the sump a year ago on a service and scraped the old sealant off and applied new rtv. Do you think the leak is coming from the oil sump here?

I think I might be answering my own question but just a bit disappointed of my repair if so!

I have heard of a cork gasket for the sump has anyone had any experiences with this?

Thanks!!
Post #905431 28th May 2021 7:01am
donmacn

It does certainly look as if it's the sump doesn't it.

I did mine not too long ago, and was quite surprised to find how many of the bolts were loose. I think it's those where the threads are 'open' outside the block casting, so any oil or whatever can run down the block, into the threads, and I guess loosen them over time.

I can't remember if the one at the back was one of those (certainly not 'open' up the side of the block).

I thought the cork gasket was 'discontinued' for newer engines? All I've done is RTV silicone.

I did read something (on a P38 forum) about putting a bead of sealant on the sump, and then importantly leaving it for 10/15 minutes to begin to cure - so that it has some solidity when fitted, rather than just squishing out so that the only seal is a thin smear of silicone. I'd probably do that myself next time around. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #905466 28th May 2021 10:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1