↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Nato 12 pin to civvy 7 pin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
WhiskyDisco

Nato 12 pin to civvy 7 pin
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice as to how to tow and wire up my trailer to my ex-forces 110. I appear to have the 12 pin NATO style, which is likely outputting 24v. My trailer is a 7 pin, with 12v lights.

Can I buy an adaptor, both for the pins and voltage?

Or can I buy a new 24v 12 pin trailer board to attach to the trailer/NATO socket?

Surpisingly the results from searching aren't easy to arrive at on this subject.

The second part to my question is what is thebest way to lower the tow bar? Can I just buy a Dixon-Bate slider, or do I have to also install stabilising bars to the chassis?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

For the stabilising bars - where do they bolt to on a 110? - there is a fuel tank hanging in the rear.

Click image to enlarge

?
Post #905154 26th May 2021 5:52pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Design and Development Engineering make an adapter from civvy 7 pin to NATO 12 pin (at not inconsiderable cost) but haven't seen one the other way around. I suspect you'll have to make up a conversion lead, much as if you were towing a new caravan with an old car. You'll have to change the bulbs in your trailer for 24v versions, though.

If you're going to fit a Dixon Bate then you really should fit the bracing bars. They attach to the same bolts that the lashing eyes are fixed with. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #905159 26th May 2021 6:08pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You have several options:

1. Sell the trailer and buy an ex-military trailer such as a Penman. Only an option if your trailer is broadly similar, of course.

2. Obtain a NATO 12-pin plug and lead, usually available from ebay and ex-mil surplus dealers, and either fit it to your trailer or fit a civvy 7-pin socket to the end, so that the lead adapts your vehicle socket to the trailer plug. You would also need to fit 24-volt bulbs to your trailer, if the Defender really is a 24-volt vehicle.

Re. the coupling, the best option is to buy a DB coupling kit complete, which includes the "ladder" for the rear crossmember together with the reinforcing piece that bolts to the bottom of the crossmember and the braces whcih run from the bottom of the "ladder" to the chassis (which use the same bolt-holes as the tie down rings, one of which is visible in your last photo). If you buy an additional "slider" you can use one for the civvy-type 50mm towball and (if you need to) fit the NATO pintle to another.

Edit: my post crossed with the one above. I'd forgotten the adaptors!
Post #905160 26th May 2021 6:12pm
WhiskyDisco

Cheers fellas. One of my trailers is a trailer tent, and I borrow my mates ifor williams quite a bit too. So adaptors is the way to go.

Good tip about attaching the stabilising bars to the tie-down bolt.
Post #905163 26th May 2021 6:18pm
blackwolf

You could of course wire in an additional civvy socket on a bracket under the crossmember, but there's no easy fix for the 24V issue, you'll need to change bulbs every time.or use a trailer board where legal.
Post #905167 26th May 2021 6:49pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Buy this,https://buyexmilitarysurplus.co.uk/Jumper-...9-773-9871

Cut the cable in half and sell the socket plus half cable for £45 on here as I’m sure someone with a penman is trying to make the reverse lead to you. You then have the 12 pin nato plug plus cable to add a 7 or 13 pin socket to, and they have 12 pin nato socket to add a 7 or 13 pin plug to.

So you both end up with a conversion lead for circa £50.which is not too bad given the costs and availability of nato plugs, sockets and quality cable.

Maybe canvas on here on who would be interested before you buy and strike a deal up front.

Just a thought. Very Happy

Ps you could integrate something like this https://recovery-equipment.co.uk/product/2...ar-socket/ within the lead that steps down the 24v from defender to 12v to trailer, but it’s pricey compared to bulb changing.
Post #905168 26th May 2021 6:49pm
v8bob

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
So, your tow hitch doesn’t have the newer plate with the safety cable rings. That makes me think you don’t have a newer Ex Mil Defender.
The older vehicles only ran 24v for the radio gear. The newer ones were total 24v systems.
You need to determine if you are running 12v lighting. Easiest way will be to check what is written on a couple of bulbs.
On my 12v Ex mil I just added an additional standard trailer 7 pin socket.
Post #905176 26th May 2021 7:17pm
WhiskyDisco

I'll have a look at the bulbs and see if they are 12v. I thought it was 24v throughout. I'd be happier if it was only 24v for the radio.
Post #905181 26th May 2021 7:44pm
WhiskyDisco

Ianh wrote:

Cut the cable in half and sell the socket plus half cable for £45 on here as I’m sure someone with a penman is trying to make the reverse lead to you. You then have the 12 pin nato plug plus cable to add a 7 or 13 pin socket to, and they have 12 pin nato socket to add a 7 or 13 pin plug to.

So you both end up with a conversion lead for circa £50.which is not too bad given the costs and availability of nato plugs, sockets and quality cable.

Ps you could integrate something like this https://recovery-equipment.co.uk/product/2...ar-socket/ within the lead that steps down the 24v from defender to 12v to trailer, but it’s pricey compared to bulb changing.

Great idea - thank you.
Post #905182 26th May 2021 7:47pm
WhiskyDisco

I checked a side light, 24v
Post #905184 26th May 2021 7:56pm
blackwolf

Ianh wrote:

Maybe canvas on here on who would be interested before you buy and strike a deal up front.

Just a thought. Very Happy

See my point 2 above! Thumbs Up

Ianh wrote:

To make this work you'd have to fit an HGV 24N (ISO 1185) connector to the back of the Defender, this device won't fit a standard trailer socket.

Since the Defender uses an earth return wiring system (not two-pole wiring) there is no easy way to run a 12V trailer from a 24V vehicle, so a bulb change is really the only option. You might be able to do it if the trailer uses a wired return by raising the trailer return (earth) wire potential to 6V in the trailer socket on the Defender, but there will be sparks if you ever plug a trailer with a chassis that is connected to the trailer earth pin in this case. It would actually be easier (and safer) to fit a 24N socket and use the device mentioned above than to try this, I think.
Post #905185 26th May 2021 8:04pm
v8bob

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Is that a Santana? What year is it?
Post #905191 26th May 2021 8:49pm
WhiskyDisco

It's ex-Singapore Armed Forces, manufactured in Solihull in 1986.

Is that a Santana?
Post #905194 26th May 2021 8:57pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
A number of suppliers now provide LED bulbs that will run on 12v or 24v.

These guys do a nice adapter but its the opposite to what you need Sad https://www.designdevelopmenteng.co.uk/sto...p123811002 
Post #905196 26th May 2021 9:04pm
WhiskyDisco

great video on Santana
Post #905199 26th May 2021 9:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>