↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Energy costs - any savings out there?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LiftedDisco

Energy costs - any savings out there?
OK, apologies - this is so far off-topic but I'm hoping there might be some pearls of wisdom out there that will help...

We have had our power and gas from Pure Planet for several years - their service and billing has always been spot on, pricing has also been keen whenever I have looked and we are now coming up to the end of a 12-month fix with the options to look at things afresh.

It would seem that there was a price cap which stopped in Q1, meaning that everyone is putting costs up - my understanding is that the price cap was equivalent to £100 per property but the potential increases are far, far higher than this...

Our 'old' fixed price deal equated to costs of £1,435 per annum with lower DD in the summer and slightly higher in the winter.

The proposed fixed price deal (subject to consumption) is looking like £1,993 per annum, an increase of nearly £560 per year or 38% on last years costs!

There is an option to take a variable priced deal at 'just £1,703' but this leaves us at risk of short-term changes and is still nearly £270 up on last year...

Looking at the various comparison sites, it seems we are still on one of the very best deals - is it me, or has everything gone bonkers? In our work life, hot rolled steel (and all the cold rolled elements) has gone up by 50% this year with a further (similar) increase anticipated before the end of 2021...

Does anyone have any thoughts on potential energy suppliers?
Post #904642 24th May 2021 9:06am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Can thoroughly recommend Octopus Energy (not just because we get some extra credit for recommending Whistle ). We are on their odd variable price tariff where out price changes every 30mins based on wholesale prices. Works well for us with minimal peak time usage and we have managed to average around 16-18p/KWh since the prices went mental earlier in the year.

Worth a look at least for their fixed tariffs,
Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #904644 24th May 2021 9:11am
DAZ110

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
I'm about to change from Bulb Energy to Zebra Power after Bulb have put the their prices up 3 times recently.
So might be worth you having a look at Zebra Power:

https://www.zebrapower.co.uk/#/

Last edited by DAZ110 on 24th May 2021 9:43am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #904647 24th May 2021 9:40am
camelman

United Kingdom 
The 'standard variable' rates change twice a year on April1st and October 1st. This is what is referred to as the 'price cap' and the maximum rates are set by the government. These 'standard' products are the ones you will default onto if you don't renew onto any specific when your fixed term deal comes to an end.
The level of the cap rarely changes by more than £100/year but this is for a customer with 'average usage'. If you use more than average, the increase will be higher.

Energy companies can charge what they like for other products but then risk becoming uncompetitive.
The spread of prices is much tighter now however since the price cap was introduced a couple of years back as they no longer have the flexibility to adjust their pricing models much. As a result, the difference between fixed term offerings and the default 'standard' tariff is no longer as big as it used to be.

I'd try one of the switching sites such as uswitch / money supermarket. 
Post #904648 24th May 2021 9:41am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
All our utility bills seem to have gone up in that last year or two despite doing a fair bit of shopping around where possible. We’ve now got a young child in the house so I dread to think what that’ll do to our bills Shocked

Incidentally, for gas and electricity I find the Martin Lewis comparison site the best. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #904653 24th May 2021 10:04am
LiftedDisco

Many thanks so far...

I'd heard good things about Octopus, but they seem to be more expensive than Pure Planet and likewise Zebra (hadn't heard of them before, thanks..!) who are also more expensive!

I've tried various of the comparison sites which then suggest we have a 'good deal' but it's irksome to find the current levels of increase being applied...

I suspect it's going to be a case of paying the rate... the only cheaper option I seem to have come across is 'Outfox the Market' but their website doesn't inspire.
Post #904668 24th May 2021 10:54am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I joined some group thing arranged by our local council (East Riding). They had a good deal from Octopus who were already our supplier. Quick call to Octopus and we were able to switch to the council's lower tariff.
They've not always been good deals but worth checking to see if your council does one.
Post #904675 24th May 2021 11:41am
DAZ110

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
Scottish Power was the cheapest option for me, but the reviews for them are pretty poor so decided again it.
Post #904686 24th May 2021 12:02pm
Bluest

Does anyone know, has deregulation of the energy industry resulted in cheaper bills than would otherwise have been the case? Just wondering if all the hassle of swapping suppliers every few years has been worth it. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #904702 24th May 2021 1:19pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
It's hard to compare against a nationalised industry where the price doesn't necessarily reflect the true underlying costs.

If you compare to other countries however, the UK price of electricity is c 25% cheaper than Germany but c60% more expensive than the states.

Click image to enlarge

Post #904707 24th May 2021 1:54pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
Also worth considering that the same energy supplier will charge a different rate based on where you are in the country.
So although Scottish Power or 'xyz' may be the cheapest in a certain area, that won't hold true for all areas of the country. 
Post #904712 24th May 2021 2:08pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Imagine what is likely to happen to electricity pricing when we are all pushed into buying electric vehicles and gas/oil boliers are no longer available for our homes? We all know what happens when competition is eliminated Sad I bet the major electricity energy providers are already dancing with joy.

As a heavy user of off peak Economy 7 electricity I am looking at the Octopus Go and Go Faster tariffs. They are only available if you have a smart meter with 30 minute reporting. With 4 or 5 hours off peak at £0.05 per kWh and a peak rate of £0.154 at other times for our region, it is currently looking like the best deal by far for us.
Post #904720 24th May 2021 2:26pm
Bluest

Lohr - I think the answer to that is what they are calling “demand management”. People will be priced out of using energy at certain times to ensure there is enough to go around. It’s the hidden reason that smart meters are being pushed so heavily, as that gives the energy companies access to the data they need to vary pricing by hour and day. I have been on a little one-man resistance campaign to having a smart meter for that reason. Not that it’ll make difference as I’m sure you’ll only be able to get the competitive tariffs with a smart meter soon. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #904731 24th May 2021 3:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1