↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Extended test drive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
camelman

United Kingdom 
Extended test drive
So I filled the form on line for the 'Extended' test drive.
Played telephone ping pong with the sales guy for a couple of days and eventually got through to him this morning/

I asked about the availability for an Extended test drive of a new 110 and was told "yes sir, that's no problem, we've extended our test drive from 30 minutes to 1 hour". Laughing

Explained I was looking for a longer period (e.g. 24 hrs) but was told, 'Oh no sir, we can't do that...'.

Ho hum. 
Post #904639 24th May 2021 8:52am
TamarBlue11

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue
I took one for an hour drive yesterday, like yourself when I orginally saw extended test I was hoping for 24 hours. Was very impressed though with the car! Shame I didnt have a chance to take it off road, but not sure they would of appreciated that Laughing
Post #904643 24th May 2021 9:08am
Tim in Scotland

If you want an off-road test drive why not sign up for an LRE full day? If you have a decent dealership they will foot the >£300 bill for the voucher if they might get a sale from it.

I just don’t understand LR over this , you would think that they would be trying to get the owners of the “classic” Landy who have doubts about the new one to go for a proper test drive with off-road if wanted and try to change their views. To any other car maker an “extended” test drive is 48 hours or longer not an hour instead of 30 minutes....... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #904645 24th May 2021 9:18am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I don't think they're interested in owners of the 'Classic' Landy. Their original marketing took the Censored . The service I've received for my Defender from 2 local dealers has made it pretty clear they'd rather not see me again.
Post #904687 24th May 2021 12:04pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Re: Extended test drive
camelman wrote:
I asked about the availability for an Extended test drive of a new 110 and was told "yes sir, that's no problem, we've extended our test drive from 30 minutes to 1 hour". Laughing

Banging Head Thud
Post #904738 24th May 2021 3:46pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Our dealer gave us the car for 24hrs...just asked me to top up the diesel.
I handed it back without any pressures.

In fact they never ever contacted me afterwards at all Rolling with laughter
I bought an X3

Clemmo Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #904759 24th May 2021 5:03pm
mf7480

To be honest, you know if a car is suitable for your needs or not in 15 minutes. A 24 hour test drive is completely unnecessary.
Post #912874 18th Jul 2021 8:52am
G&T

United Kingdom 
I don’t mind 15 minutes on the first test, but I’d expect a good few hours on the 2nd and I’d expect that to be the decent thing by the dealership. If not, it tells you more about the relationship the dealers wants with you than you with them.
Post #912880 18th Jul 2021 9:15am
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
I was originally offered a 1 hour test drive but then said I could have it for two hours, this wasn't any good for me so I pressured them a bit more and ended up with a 4 day test drive.

mf7480 wrote:
To be honest, you know if a car is suitable for your needs or not in 15 minutes. A 24 hour test drive is completely unnecessary.

I would respectfully disagree with that, if I only had the car for the two hours I probably wouldn't have bought one as I couldn't get a comfortable position for the seat and steering wheel. However the longer test drive gave me a chance to play about and find a good seating position that I was very comfortable with. YMMV Confused Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #912904 18th Jul 2021 10:56am
rtm89

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Galway Green
Being honest and I can only go off our circumstance here but we only have 1 Defender demonstrator available to us.
It is in use almost constantly on test drives as well as being our dealer principals vehicle as we simply can't get any stock.

We have been trying to look after all customers fairly and try and allow a good go in it but if we lend it out for days at a time others miss out and our head of business has to find another car to go home in.
Post #912923 18th Jul 2021 1:23pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
"our head of business has to find another car to go home in" - isn't that the sort of problem the head of business should see as a positive?
Post #913021 19th Jul 2021 8:51am
G&T

United Kingdom 
I was thinking just that, especially when he/she has a choice of everything on the forecourt Whistle
Post #913046 19th Jul 2021 10:49am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I was thinking that it's really not the customer's problem how the salesmen get home.
That said, if they can't make enough, this is a good way to ration them.
Post #913061 19th Jul 2021 11:59am
rtm89

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Galway Green
G&T wrote:
I was thinking just that, especially when he/she has a choice of everything on the forecourt Whistle

If only it was the case at the moment. We simply don't have enough cars to sell or to drive. LR are only building sold orders at the moment (and 90% of them are being held up through shortages of components) so we cannot get any additional vehicles to bolster what we have.

We have 1/4 of the used stock we would usually carry but like most people we do like a car to go home in. Even salesmen are humans (just about!) Very Happy
Post #913101 19th Jul 2021 3:41pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
mf7480 wrote:

Until it cannot clear the local height barrier or you find that you can’t exit the vehicle once parked in a multi-storey car park.

Whistle

Our local, Guildford is awful. Pull out onto a busy road, work your way round then head to the A3, 70 mph for 15 minutes heading north, 15 minutes heading south at 70 mph, then crawl back to the dealership.

Wow, my TD5 90 can do 90, is more engaging, with no ABS, muds, lift you hope no one does anything silly and of cause I have the Reaper sitting on my shoulder asking if I ever envisaged that cornflakes would be my last meal……. Whistle

The June extending drive turned out to be a joke bearing in mind how many LR’s wifey has had as the sales man said we could not have it for the weekend in case someone else wanted to book it out on the weekend……..go figure.

I even said that my wife had changed her last three Lane Rovers after two years, and guess what we are at two years……how may hints or opportunities can you give someone that (allegedly) uses the title ‘Salesman’………

Stepping off my soap box…….
Post #913109 19th Jul 2021 4:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>