Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
trailbear

United Kingdom 
Pin Switch Loom
Ladies / Gents

I am considering fitting one of these

https://www.landroverdefendersecurity.com/...r-defender

To further improve the levels of security on my vehicle.

It mentions that there will have to be a little drilling. I am not normally one for drilling holes in my
Vehicle if I can help it but has anyone actually fitted one of these and perhaps can show me photographs
Of their install to see exactly what needs to be drilled etc. I am aware that it is only a pin switch and will be behind
The headlamp panel ( whole point of it ) but as I said not a great fan of drilling into the vehicle.

I am aware members may be unwilling to share this on their vehicles so I am happy to accept pm’s if that is more acceptable.

Any advice is greatly received.
Post #904328 21st May 2021 5:58pm
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
I was thinking of getting one of these and assumed it is just for drilling the four holes for the mounting rivets?
Post #904336 21st May 2021 6:26pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Just relocate the horn/alarm unit? Rgds.

Chris
Post #904338 21st May 2021 6:39pm
trailbear

United Kingdom 
Yes, I know it sounds silly that’s what I thought.

It’s been a long time since I have had the headlamp trims off to confirm but I am sure there is already a hole through which
The plunger can protrude and then just a case of the 4 rivet holes to drill.
Post #904339 21st May 2021 6:42pm
trailbear

United Kingdom 
Yep, done that, this is to give them a surprise when they take the trim off expecting to do their attempted thievery
Post #904340 21st May 2021 6:47pm
nitram17

Re: Pin Switch Loom
[quote="trailbear"]Ladies / Gents

I am considering fitting one of these

https://www.landroverdefendersecurity.com/...r-defender

To further improve the levels of security on my vehicle.

It mentions that there will have to be a little drilling. I am not normally one for drilling holes in my
Vehicle if I can help it but has anyone actually fitted one of these and perhaps can show me photographs
Of their install to see exactly what needs to be drilled etc. I am aware that it is only a pin switch and will be behind
The headlamp panel ( whole point of it ) but as I said not a great fan of drilling into the vehicle.

I am aware members may be unwilling to share this on their vehicles so I am happy to accept pm’s if that is more acceptable.

Like lots of things on the landrover security site site that they sell are taken from ideas from posters on here. They have taken members ideas and made a commercial product(allegedly).The sad thing is the more they sell the less effective they will be.........if you have a good security idea keep it to yourself and you might hold onto your truck!The pin cable was first outlined on here, also the inertia switch and the cigarette switch.

Last edited by nitram17 on 22nd May 2021 3:22am. Edited 5 times in total
Post #904363 21st May 2021 9:36pm
trailbear

United Kingdom 
I’m not really sure what that is meant to be?
Post #904365 21st May 2021 9:41pm
nitram17

Try the edit /\
Post #904372 22nd May 2021 3:18am
trailbear

United Kingdom 
So first of all, the last part was not on your original edit of my post which is why I stated I was none the wiser!

Secondly, the very subject I have asked about here pops up on my searches regularly
( although for the life of me I can’t quite find it which was why I asked the question ) where the picture of the switch is in situ.

I am aware that these are subjects that should normally be kept to oneself which is why I asked for pm’s if potential responders didn’t want to post publicly and if people don’t agree with my request then simply ignore it.

If the potential thief is intelligent enough to join and lurk on forums in an effort to learn the tricks and secrets of Landrover ownership then I am sure that they are probably intelligent enough to find the commercially available security products that are widely available on the web.

To be clear my post was not asking everyone to join in and discuss all the security devices and locations in which they have
Placed them in their vehicles just in an effort for someone to point me in the direction of the original post that I have already mentioned.
Post #904391 22nd May 2021 8:36am
nitram17

I fella i wasn't getting at you and i apologize if you took it that way ... I was just lamenting the fact that lrs have allegedly taken security ideas from here and made a commercial product and created a sort of catch 22. where they make money from selling the product but by doing so probably make the less safe.....as in the case of the pin extension. that idea was from here and thieves will work on the assumption its there and get around it like they do for the pin on the bonnet...

A few years ago somebody pmd me with an idea for an inertia switch cut off they had made..i thought it was a great idea given that most cut offs were usually done to the starter and the fuel pump............... somebody on here posted it and now if i was a thief and i had bypassed the alarm and the car did not start the first place i would look would be the inertia switch.

I an sure some of the old timers on here have come up with novel security measures to protect their trucks as i know have and most will keep it to themselves as the less widespread they are the more effective they will be.

I suppose its about layers and time to overcome them and in the case of the pin extension i would move the bbus first then fit the pin alarm . along with a starter, fuel pump and driving lights cut off switch.

I guess lrs are protecting more defenders from the casual opportunist thief and that's a great thing and experienced thieves will overcome anything you put i their way so good luck to them but i will be keeping any security ideas i have to myself from now on.
Post #904421 22nd May 2021 12:44pm
trailbear

United Kingdom 
Yes, I totally get where you are coming from.

There was a bit of a Head, Brain, Mouth disconnect going on on my part.
Post #904432 22nd May 2021 2:30pm
nitram17

Thumbs Up
Post #904468 22nd May 2021 7:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1