Home > Td5 > Noise when downshifting. TD5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LeonC

Netherlands 2000 Defender 110 Td5 HT Coniston Green
Noise when downshifting. TD5
Hi all,

I was looking for an active forum on defenders, seems like I found one Very Happy .

I've had my Defender 110 TD5 for about 9 month now but have run in to some issues. This weekend I changed the oil and the filters (both oil filters, fuel filter and air filter), all according to the workshop manual. After doing this, the car made a new sound which I've never heard before. It is like a screeching noise which occurs mostly when I downshift to second or third gear, but can also sometimes occur when I accelerate in second or third. For the rest of the gears, I haven't heard the sound yet. It also doesn't occur 100% of the time. When I hear the sound, and I press the clutch pedal and let the engine fall back to idle, the sound disappears. I've added a link at the bottom (I hope this is allowed, couldn't seem to get it on YouTube so used another website, if it's not allowed please let me know how I can share the mp3) which is a sound recording a friend made with a phone out of the window, so excuse the wind noise. But at the end of the recording the sound I'm referring to is clearly audible.

If anyone has any idea, I'd love to hear it!

link: https://sndup.net/6bkw

Cheers,
Leon

Last edited by LeonC on 17th May 2021 7:36pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #903583 17th May 2021 5:08pm
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
Difficult to say, however it does not seem to be related to your filter changes. Have you checked and greased your prop shaft u-joints? Check those... 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #903587 17th May 2021 5:20pm
Lionel

Australia 
Re: Noise when downshifting. TD5
LeonC wrote:
Hi all,

I was looking for an active forum on defenders, seems like I found one Very Happy .

I've had my Defender 110 TD5 for about 9 month now but have run in to some issues. This weekend I changed the oil and the filters (both oil filters, fuel filter and air filter), all according to the workshop manual. After doing this, the car made a new sound which I've never heard before. It is like a screeching noise which occurs mostly when I downshift to second or third gear, but can also sometimes occur when I accelerate in second or third. For the rest of the gears, I haven't heard the sound yet. It also doesn't occur 100% of the time.

A long shot, but exhaust manifold leaks can make some strange screechy noises at times. Worth having a look for soot marks around the interface between the engine & exhaust manifold. A significant leak should show up, though a small one may not.

Cheers,

Lionel
Post #904080 20th May 2021 1:36pm
LeonC

Netherlands 2000 Defender 110 Td5 HT Coniston Green
Checked all of the above, doesnt seem to change anything really. Good to put some grease on u-joints for sure though.

Noise is still audible sometimes, now change to the fifth gear, and no longer in second or third.
Post #907198 10th Jun 2021 11:51am
jmccmick

Canada 
might just be unfortunate timing, but id go back to double check everything you touched when changing the filters first. It sounds as though it only occurs under power, and only when clutch is engaged? Can you provoke the same sound when coasting? I cant listen to the sound, and would defer to anyone else who can interpret it, but screeching noises make me think belts, and oil changes make me think oil on other parts ... like belts...
Post #907715 14th Jun 2021 3:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1