↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Fitting new front seats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nobbyclark

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Fitting new front seats
I've bought a pair of Exmoor trim front seats but am having trouble removing the existing ones! The current two are a pair of vinyl seats that look like they are from a commercial Defender - same size and shape as my new Techno seats, but trimmed in (torn and worn) vinyl. The runners are held on with 4 bolts and I can remove the 2 bolts nearest to the door, but the other 2 just turn and won't come out. Is there a nut underneath that I need to secure in order to get the bolt out? Or do I need to try some darker arts like heating the bolt or even drilling it out?
Post #903562 17th May 2021 2:59pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Earlier vehicles have a nut welded on to a plate and the plate is held by a small aluminum rivet. Unsure if it is the same on Td5, if yes, possible that the rivet has disintegrated and the plate/nut is spinning with the bolt. Should be easy to see from below. If working alone, then you need to remove the inspection hatch under the cubby/middle seat. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #903566 17th May 2021 3:15pm
Beero

England 
I had this with the two inboard bolts on each seat on my TD5. The ones in the boxes under the seats don't get rusty and seize up like the others. Because the thread is exposed and gets rusty it won't easily screw through the rivnuts so you have to either access the rivnuts from underneath or take out the central access lid. I held the rivnuts with Mole grips, some call them Vice grips. Refit with new bolts and the rivnuts should tighten up again.
Post #903654 17th May 2021 10:29pm
nobbyclark

Thanks for the suggestions - will have another go at the weekend!
Post #903706 18th May 2021 12:06pm
nobbyclark

Quick update: I used mole grips to hold the nut under the car body and managed to extract the 2 bolts on the inner side of the passenger seat. Re-attaching them to the new seat frame was a bit tricky as the mole grips kept falling off. So I gripped the bolt inside the car instead and fastened the nut from below using a 13mm socket.

And to enormous surprise and delight, the 4 bolts for the driver's seat were all threaded through the body and don't have a nut at the end. Took 15 mins to change the seat vs about 90 for the passenger side.

I've now discovered that the torn/worn vinyl seats were mounted on extended runners as I'm sitting closer to the wheel than before. A job for another day to re-use the extended runners and also wire up the heating elements. Hopefully won't need that capability for a few months...
Post #904633 24th May 2021 9:18am
Beero

England 
Good. Glad you got sorted
Post #904798 24th May 2021 7:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1