↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma video build
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Ianh

United Kingdom 
from What I’ve been reading it seems to be an ongoing issue with some vehicles, with some unlucky owners changing out the shaft more than once. So unless they have been very unlucky and replaced a poor manufactured shaft with another poor manufactured shaft it’s likely to be as blackwolf has deduced.
Post #903377 16th May 2021 11:33am
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Sorry to continue taking this thread off topic.

The quality of the adapter shaft is remarkably consistent. How else could you explain 4 failures in the same vehicle, all at around 25,000 mile intervals?
The owner would have been very unlucky to get 4 bad shafts in a row, over a 7 year period. During that time shafts have been running in other vehicles for over 100,000 miles, sometimes well past that.

Variable shaft quality would result in large variance of failure intervals in the same vehicle. This is not seen in the forum survey on the topic. The survey does show that if you continue fitting standard shafts, without changing anything else, then they all fail at roughly the same milage interval in a vehicle that has the problem.

Back on topic.
Thanks to Nigel for continuing to post his every interesting and informative videos on the comprehensive rebuild of his 90. Thumbs Up
Post #903386 16th May 2021 12:53pm
Gloucesternige

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Back onto the subject,

I am just uploading the 4th part of the engine reassembly with the fitting of Piston cooling jets and the gallery filter below No1 main bearing, neither of which are mentioned in the build sequence in the manual?
We also get the crank in and I discuss the need for stoning of mating surfaces during assembly.

I will make a new video regarding the alignment of transfer case to MT82 today. Nige

Check out my You Tube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/Defender90KeswickNigelsLandRoverchannel
Post #903388 16th May 2021 12:57pm
Gloucesternige

blackwolf wrote:
Nige, I was intrigued by your insistence that there cannot be alignment issues between the MT82 output and the LT230 input when you were talking about the LOF one-piece adaptor shaft in your video. Being mindful of the strength of your feelings, what do you think would account for the huge variations in spline wear on notionally identical vehicles built on the same line at the same time using notionally identical parts, if not a tolerance/alignment issue?

I have since altered my opinion on this matter and will make a video discussing this later today. Nige

Post #903390 16th May 2021 12:59pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
I’m famous!! I’m famous!!

Just watched the latest vid nige, thanks for the shout out!
Post #903408 16th May 2021 3:58pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Interesting video, what you describe is exactly the conclusion I came to. It is going to be extraordinarily difficult to measure though.

Incidentally the reason I don't comment on your videos on YouTube (or anyone else's for that matter) is that you cannot comment unless you have a YouTube account. I don't, and don't want one.

I am also of the view, and I say this with the greatest respect and no intended criticism, that if someone promotes their videos on the Internet's best Defender forum, it is only to be expected that comments are made and discussions take place about said videos on the forum.

Last edited by blackwolf on 17th May 2021 8:33am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #903478 16th May 2021 11:41pm
nitram17

DSC-off wrote:

The quality of the adapter shaft is remarkably consistent. How else could you explain 4 failures in the same vehicle, all at around 25,000 mile intervals?
The owner would have been very unlucky to get 4 bad shafts in a row, over a 7 year period. During that time shafts have been running in other vehicles for over 100,000 miles, sometimes well past that.

Variable shaft quality would result in large variance of failure intervals in the same vehicle. This is not seen in the forum survey on the topic. The survey does show that if you continue fitting standard shafts, without changing anything else, then they all fail at roughly the same milage interval in a vehicle that has the problem.

Back on topic.
Thanks to Nigel for continuing to post his every interesting and informative videos on the comprehensive rebuild of his 90. Thumbs Up

I only put forward the quality of manufacture as a question and its obviously not that so if its alignment issues do people think the lof one piece solution will end up with more expensive gearbox problems down the line..i really dont know how you would be able to separate normal gearbox failure from lof induced failure........
Post #903480 17th May 2021 1:37am
Co1

Latest video is great Nige. “Health and safety wise it’s a no no, so don’t tell anybody I told you!” Rolling with laughter
Post #904183 21st May 2021 5:15am
Gloucesternige

Why is it a H+S No no? Nige

Post #904263 21st May 2021 11:43am
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
DSC-off wrote:

Back on topic.

I think a lot is down to driving styles causing this. Especially the way individuals change gear. The difference in fully pressing the clutch down and pausing after you engage the next gear to allow everything to torque back up at low revs before gradually introducing the power vs quick gear changes with a partially depressed clutch and pushing the accelerator instantly back down as many do in modern cars. My style is akin to driving classic and vintage cars.

Not intentional abuse but over thousands of gear changes the spinning up of the play in the drive chain I'm guessing adds up.

I may be toitally wrong....
Post #904287 21st May 2021 1:30pm
Co1

Gloucesternige wrote:
Why is it a H+S No no?

I was you that said it was on the vid! You were talking about the virtues of using a screw driver to the ear to check for tappets knocking with the engine running and rocker cover removed.
Post #904305 21st May 2021 3:38pm
Gloucesternige

Hahaha Co1.

I forgot that part.. I thought you might be referring to my lashed up engine stand? Nige

Post #904316 21st May 2021 5:28pm
nitram17

[quote="DSC-off"]Sorry to continue taking this thread off topic.

It would of been interesting if a lof one piece was put into that sort of truck you mention to see what happened! perhaps somebody on here has done that?
Post #904354 21st May 2021 8:54pm
lonewolf

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
I think a lot is down to driving styles causing this. Especially the way individuals change gear. The difference in fully pressing the clutch down and pausing after you engage the next gear to allow everything to torque back up at low revs before gradually introducing the power vs quick gear changes with a partially depressed clutch and pushing the accelerator instantly back down as many do in modern cars. My style is akin to driving classic and vintage cars.

Not intentional abuse but over thousands of gear changes the spinning up of the play in the drive chain I'm guessing adds up.

I may be toitally wrong....[/quote]

I’m with you on that one. /\ /\
Post #904799 24th May 2021 7:56pm
SJM2018

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
Nice to see your truck coming together Nige Thumbs Up 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #918155 21st Aug 2021 10:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>