↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Puma tow bar bolts spinning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Bundy

United Kingdom 
So a bit of an update...
Tow bar is off with the assistance of the angle grinder and breaker bar.
The bolts through the chassis rails sheared with only a spanner, however the rusty bolts pulled out easily which was a welcome relief!
The bolts for the angle up into the crossmember came out with unwinding and winding and plenty of WD.
I cut the stuck bolts from the crossmember then cut underneath the crossmember, round the centre captive nut for the angle iron bracket, only to find that there is a thicker internal bit of metal with the captive nut welded to it...
So made the cutout a rectangle then cut the inner piece on 3 sides and a slot on the other end so I could bend it down and hopefully keeps it’s position for the captive nut when bent back and welded.
This allowed the removal of the remains of the captive nuts and the bar that used to be welded into the crossmember.
There is quite a bit of bolt sticking out of the nuts so plenty to corrode without being able to see it.
The inner section is deeper front to back at the bottom for the larger bolts, so theoretically if you spray something through the smaller upper holes it may/should drip onto the larger bolts below...not that it helped me!
I’ll be ordering the 2” receiver next week when the credit card clears and then start making up a new plate and captive nuts.
If that doesn’t work I may resort to massive washers and nylocks...tighten first, then weld it back up...obviously not ideal as it would mean cutting to remove or tighten ion the future, so hopefully I can sort it captively!
Anyway, some pics to help with the waffle...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

All in reverse order for some reason, sorry!
Cheers
Al
Post #902770 12th May 2021 9:34pm
mata

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I took the Factory fitted Dixon bate Kit off my 2009 utility a few weeks ago to fit the Safariequip 2” receiver and now realise how fortunate I was that the old one came off with minimal resistance!!
Post #902800 13th May 2021 7:25am
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Based on this definitely worth removing these and cleaning/greasing every couple of year when I treat the underside and clean up the cross member.
Post #902807 13th May 2021 8:45am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
mata wrote:
I took the Factory fitted Dixon bate Kit off my 2009 utility a few weeks ago to fit the Safariequip 2” receiver and now realise how fortunate I was that the old one came off with minimal resistance!!

I did exactly the same about 18 months ago and it seems that I was lucky too. I did have to sacrifice my favourite socket ratchet in the process, though Crying or Very sad Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #902813 13th May 2021 9:11am
Bundy

United Kingdom 
I reckon the best thing anyone can do is make sure the 4 smaller bolt holes have bolts in. That way water and crud will find it hard to get in there. Make sure you spray a load of wax or something in there first though Wink
Post #902815 13th May 2021 9:23am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Bundy, have you thought of cutting a rectangle piece of 18mm thick steel to fit snuggly into the crossmember recess. Drilling and tapping the threads in the correct places and then welding it in place ? That way even if the welds go the plate would jam and not rotate when trying to remove a stuck bolt , and you could choose the right thickness of plate to ensure the bolts don’t protrude out of it and therefore corrode and jam. I’m really surprised landrover did not build the crossmember that way in the first place. But then again perhaps I’m not as that would have been thoughtful engineering!

As per your suggestion I’m removing bolts, greasing up, injecting cavity wax and fitting some plastic bungs into the two threaded holes not occupying towbar bolts. Also looking to cut bolt ends so they are then flush with the nuts when tight, leaving no thread exposed to corrosion.

Last edited by Ianh on 13th May 2021 4:54pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #902841 13th May 2021 12:37pm
Bundy

United Kingdom 
I like that idea Ian...
Not sure I’d get much weld depth on something that thick onto what is remarkably thin metal on the crossmember, but I suppose it ain’t going anywhere once in there!
Drilling and tapping those large holes would be a complete nightmare to do in something that thick though...plus the cost of a tap that big.
I’ve manage to sneak the order in for the tow bar, so may get to play at the weekend.
I’ll let you all know the outcome Wink
Post #902851 13th May 2021 2:14pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
You need to be careful of the strength of the threads if you just tap them into a piece of mild steel plate.

For context:
A piece of 20mm thick plate would probably be either S275 or S355 with a yield strength of 275 or 355MPa accordingly.
An M16 nut is 14mm thick and even a generic grade 8 nut will have a yield strength of 640MPa.

You don't want to take that chance with towbars especially!

I would get a bit of plate cut and drilled to suit and weld on some grade 10 nuts to it. No point trying to use nyloc nuts and weld them.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #902856 13th May 2021 2:39pm
Bundy

United Kingdom 
Hi Steve, the plate and non-nylocks is the route I’m aiming for and your thoughts on strength would certainly put me off the tapped plate option.
Cheers
Al
Post #902858 13th May 2021 3:02pm
Bundy

United Kingdom 
Just a little update to complete this saga...
I had some spare angle lying about and made this...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Welded it into the crossmember and welded it all back up. With a skin of filler to make it neater and some paint it looks much better...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Tow bar arrived from 4x4 Overlander missing a few bits, but as per usual Brendan sorted very quickly...many thanks Brendan! I opted to spray the mating surfaces of the tow bar with some rubberised anti-rust under seal paint and then bolt it all up while wet. This allowed most of it to squish out the edges and provide a nice seal and hopefully prevent water ingress.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Really pleased with the look and the clearance I now have and glad I got the handy billet recovery attachment Thumbs Up
I moved my electrics while at it too, which has neatened it all up. I also sprayed copious amounts of cavity wax in through the the holes before fitting the tow bar, so all being well it should last a while now!
Just need to finish renovating the original tow ball and it’s hopefully job done.
Cheers
Al
Post #903883 19th May 2021 11:41am
mata

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254685240395

I fitted a couple of these 2” receiver hitch bungs to mine to keep the Censored out.
Post #904443 22nd May 2021 4:44pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Neat job, good outcome, and probably stronger than when new. Thumbs Up

The receiver hitch is a really useful and versatile option on the Defender, I've never regretted fitting mine. I also have one on the front, which is handy.
Post #904447 22nd May 2021 4:56pm
Bundy

United Kingdom 
mata wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254685240395

I fitted a couple of these 2” receiver hitch bungs to mine to keep the Censored out.

Nice one. Think I’ll be getting some of them, thanks Thumbs Up
Post #904464 22nd May 2021 6:56pm
Bundy

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
Neat job, good outcome, and probably stronger than when new. Thumbs Up

The receiver hitch is a really useful and versatile option on the Defender, I've never regretted fitting mine. I also have one on the front, which is handy.

Thanks Blackwolf.
Might be tempted with the front bumper that contains one at some point. Can then get a winch tray with the 2” so you can use it front or back and leave it off for day to day
Post #904465 22nd May 2021 6:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12