↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Tips for renewing the windscreen frame seals?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Tips for renewing the windscreen frame seals?
The top seal is perished in one corner and I’m not convinced the bottom seal (to the bulkhead) is water tight either. Any tips for renewal and are genuine seals the way to go, or is there an improved aftermarket option?

Headlining out, top bolts out, window blocks off and then the whole frame lifts out? Simple as that or am I missing something?

Cheers
Col
Post #902169 9th May 2021 3:28pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
You'll need to lift the roof a bit Col so you may need to undo the roof further back but that's essentially it.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #902172 9th May 2021 3:43pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Cheers Mo.
Post #902179 9th May 2021 3:57pm
MichaelE

England 
I renewed the screen frame to bulkhead seal last year after welding the bulkhead top corners. It was one mother of a job to get the bolts back in to the blocks. To get the last but one bolt in, I had to grind a bit of a taper on to the end to help get it in and started. Trying to remember, I think I put the top bolt in loosely, then used a rod in the second hole down to lever the block down and frame down and compress the seal, being careful not to damage threads, then getting the tapered bolt in the bottom hole. The last bolt went in ok-ish. Being on my own didn't help but I managed.

I don't recall where the seal came from. Probably Paddock or Bearmach. Bought too many parts to find the email order. But it wasn't a genuine one.
Post #902199 9th May 2021 5:53pm
Plump Donkey

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Hi Col, sorry this info might have reached you too late,

I removed the window frame the other month to remove and treat the corrosion on my TDCI. Definitely a bigger job than I thought (only a couple of bolts, how hard can it be?)

I decided while it was out to replace all the seals which was one of my biggest regrets..

To get the frame out you need to loosen all the bolts on the roof really, The frame needs to slide over two tapered spigots that are about 35mm long.

I replaced the two seals between the roof and the window frame and although a little fiddly, in the whole easy but the seal between the frame and the bulkhead caused issues. That bottom seal I fitted was aftermarket and may not have compressed as easy as an OEM one so I had to connect ratchet straps between the lightening holes in the roof panel and my rock sliders to compress the whole assembly to fit the window block bolts without cross threading them. The straps were under A LOT of tension.

If I was to do it again I'd leave the window frame to bulkhead seal and just seal it externally with a decent silicone or PRC.
Post #963832 2nd Sep 2022 11:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1