↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Fuel starvation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Fuel starvation
I'm having an issue with the Puma at the moment.

Short history, I removed the head and had it refurbished, replaced the water pump, clutch and did a few other maintenance jobs whilst the engine was out.

After putting it all back together, it ran with a few oil drips from the front timing cover and one from the rear of the new water pump.

After running fine for a few days the vacuum pump gave up the ghost one morning and after a journey of several miles I was recovered home.

A new one was ordered and I replaced that as well as refitted the old water pump as the new one wouldn't seal to the block and was weeping oil.

New vacuum pump fitted including pipe to the brake servo and then the next issue arose and it's got me stumped.

When the truck gets to temperature, the fuel rail pressure becomes erratic and the truck will die of fuel starvation.

I have some PDF's taken from the IDT tool, not sure how to post them on here though, if anyone wants to view them I can email them over.

I've replaced the VCV with a quality unit as that was the first thought.

My thought process is a possible faulty CHT sensor, fuel pump temperature sensor or worst case, fuel pump.

Any thoughts or ideas of where to look?

Cheers
Post #899746 23rd Apr 2021 8:33pm
Badger110

A few bits done but still it hasn't changed much.

I replaced the VCV as well as the Pressure release valve which although wasn't noisy, was a precautionary decision.

I de tuned the engine back to stock and did a pump and pilot relearn.

The issue isn't as prominent anymore but I believe that's because without the tune the engine isn't working as hard through the gears, however when hot and fuel pressure hitting 140k+ it'll starve itself but not cut out unless I lift off the revs ( makes for a rocking ride though! )

I've checked the fuel lines from the filter ( changed ) and no signs of damage. I was going to blow the lines through just to check for any contamination when the engine was out of the truck but I'll have to leave that for another day. I've also checked the loom for any signs of damage and none present.

My other thought is timing may be off and whether this could be causing an issue...however it wasn't doing any of this before hand so I'm not totally convinced.

I am wondering if I could fit a clear fuel line somewhere to monitor fuel flowing to the pump when under load and if there is signs of air before it reaches the hp pump. If I take the feed from the fuel cooler into the cab and back out to the the bleed valve that would eliminate the issue being before the pump.
Post #899940 25th Apr 2021 1:09pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Is it possible that you have air in the fuel system?
Post #900007 26th Apr 2021 5:33am
Badger110

It is possible Hardcharger;

I've rigged up a diesel tank in the passenger side and eliminated the issue

Click image to enlarge

Now to replace the fuel lines working back from the engine Thumbs Up
Post #901807 6th May 2021 10:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1