↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > JLR worker stole £82k-worth of parts to sell on
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
JLR worker stole £82k-worth of parts to sell on
Some may question who the biggest robber was in this case and why there's such an apparent high demand for cameras:

"A Jaguar Land Rover worker stole more than £82,000-worth of parts to sell on.

Patrick McCusker admitted taking the items between October 23 and November 26 last year.

The 51-year-old, of Rylstone Road, Quinton, pleaded guilty to one charge of theft by employee at Birmingham Magistrates' Court on Wednesday, February 25."

Robert Skinner, prosecuting, gave a brief outline of the facts and said: "The defendant was at the time working at Jaguar Land Rover. While there he stole a number of items, mainly cameras.

"The cost to Jaguar Land Rover of the parts was around £10,000 as they were bought in bulk. But the total retail value of those was £82,166. It is high value and involves a breach of trust.

"He was full and frank about the fact he was selling those items off in Harborne at a much-reduced cost, so it is not suggested he was making anything like the retail value."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midl...e-19907186

Anyone know the retail price for any of the various cameras scattered around the Defender? I know Powerful UK has had issues with a wade sensing one; and there has been an issue of "zebra striping" on others.
Post #887651 25th Feb 2021 8:24am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Well I calculate that as a 720% mark up. Whistle Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #887663 25th Feb 2021 9:29am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I doubt that £82k buys you many parts at current prices, perhaps 40 cameras, or 10 headlamps.
Post #887674 25th Feb 2021 10:08am
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Do you think he has anything left, could do with some stock.. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #887720 25th Feb 2021 12:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
discomog wrote:
Well I calculate that as a 720% mark up. Whistle

I guess it won't be quite that, since the "retail value" will include the cost of distribution etc. I suspect that it is still a hefty margin though, and we all know who pays for it! Big Cry
Post #887726 25th Feb 2021 1:23pm
SN

New Defender camera is a £700 option - so theft could be 110 camera's . . . Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #887762 25th Feb 2021 3:52pm
Supacat

How many cameras is that for?
Post #887766 25th Feb 2021 4:03pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Not the first time. Roger Simister who worked for a well-known dealership parts dept in the nineties had a fiddle going on with the repair part of the dealership where he would order parts for damaged vehicles that either did not exist or the damaged part was repaired and not replaced. The parts were then sold on. This went on for eighteen months until Simister and his associates were caught, prosecuted and jailed. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #887784 25th Feb 2021 5:03pm
Supacat

This was the biggie one though, or at least to date:

"A Jaguar Land Rover employee who stole car parts with a retail value of up to �2 MILLION has been told to expect �a lengthy custodial sentence�.

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic36982.html?highlight=theft

I'm excluding Ralph Speth, took over £18 million and drove the company into a ditch... Rolling Eyes
Post #887791 25th Feb 2021 5:41pm
Supacat

Back to the original story.

"A Jaguar Land Rover worker who stole £82,000 in parts to support his grieving family has been spared jail after a judge branded the case 'tragic'.

Patrick McCusker, 51, was considered to be a 'loyal' servant of the car manufacturer for 17 years.

But after the death of his brother, he promised to support his sibling's family financially, even buying Christmas presents for the children.

The 51-year-old, from Quinton, pocketed more than 150 rear reversing cameras to sell on to a person in the pub offering them £20 each in order to make extra cash.

The thefts were also driven by his spiralling alcohol and gambling addictions, which he had turned to as coping mechanisms, Birmingham Live reports.

McCusker's bosses confronted him after watching him pocket the equipment at work.

When he was arrested he told officers he had been trying to raise enough money to buy gifts for his late brother's children.

Prosecutor Andrew Tucker said: "It was noticed by staff at JLR that company property was going missing, in particular some rear car reversing cameras.

"The following day Mr McCusker was seen by members of management putting cameras in his pocket.

"He was confronted and he admitted possession of 18 cameras he had on him at the time. He said it was a one-off to support his family.

"He was arrested and told police he wanted to provide his brother's children with Christmas presents."

The court heard McCusker had previous offences for theft including stealing post whilst working for Royal Mail at a much younger age.

Passing sentence, Judge Sarah Buckingham described the case as "tragic" and noted McCusker has been struggling to find work since.

Judge Buckingham said: "In this tragic case you have shown genuine remorse and the consequences are going to follow you. At the age of 51 you are finding it hard to get work and you are doing everything to put things right.

"There's nothing to be gained by imposing what would inevitably be a relatively short prison sentence. It is better that it is hanging over your head as a warning."

McCusker, of Birmingham, admitted theft by an employee.

He was sentenced to six and a half months imprisonment suspended for six months and must carry out 30 days of rehabilitation activity and complete 100 hours of unpaid work."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jagu...e-24018029
Post #900970 2nd May 2021 6:37am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
What a load of bo!!ocks. "presents for kids... drinking and gambling"....

Just excuses that his brief thought up for him.
Post #901073 2nd May 2021 5:41pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Must have had those troubles for years if his previous convictions are anything to go by.......
Post #901095 2nd May 2021 7:57pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
this sort of thing happened at nissan,

One team leader was found to be selling the tyres, The police put a tracker on a set of tyres, which then ended up at the Team leaders house, The police raided the place, and found that he had tyres everywhere, back garden and garage was like a tyre bay!

Another one was a group Two Team leaders and a couple of workers, they were selling the car batteries. One pallet would go on the back of a van, and the other would go on line.
Also another team leader and two other workers, were breaking Nissan cars, the three of them took three new cars off the site, which were not registered yet. They were found parked out side the Team leaders house.

Nissans security are questionable, one lad had his motor bike keys nicked, He got his mate to pick the bike up. His pal just drove straight through security picked the bike up and went straight back out.
My mate who did car park security around there, said the gate security are useless. They did challenge me and the quality control from work, on who we are. But never bothered to check us on what we had in the car going back out Laughing Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #901112 2nd May 2021 9:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1