↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > strange starting issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
doruk1981

Switzerland 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
strange starting issues
I need your advice as this is a riddle I cant solve somehow.

When we turn on the ignition on my 110 (td5, 15p) the fuel pump kicks in (whiningly) and the engine goes into iddle. However we do not have any throttle power until about 30-60seconds later. You can press and press nothing moves. Usually the availability of throttle power is captured by a click in one of the relay under the passenger seats. I think its the R102 unit? Sometimes the check engine light goes into disco mode when we press the throttle pedal too but its not consistent.

Mechanically,
We checked the fuel lines if they got mixed up during the rebuild but the plugging is right.
Diesel Pump - got a new unit laying ready but I'm not sure if that might be the culprit - although the top area of the fuel cell looks wet ... so the connectors might be also not the most tight ones by now.
Diesel filter - gets kind of warm but its a new unit, but also right connected
Engine
Fuel Pressure regulator - When I refurbished my engine, I replaced the unit.
Alternator original unit

Throttle Pedal is still original unit

I have a nanocom but interestingly the device does not show any major faults. Only the usual AC, Gearbox, ABS errors that are as I understand ignorable. Fun enough, we were running the starting process while the nanocom was plugged in but no errors were captured when the check engine light came up.

We did the defined check controls to see if any of the items would flag the error but unfortunately nothing.

So yeah - I'd much appreciate your insights on this strange issue. Td5 110 Station
Post #1006501 4th Sep 2023 8:06pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Interesting... You have a nanocom... How are the throttle voltages? You should have a three track throttle.

Whilst you are there take all of your relays out, open them up and check the contacts inside for wear. These can cause a host of problems.
Post #1006510 4th Sep 2023 8:57pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
So normal throttle response is restored after you hear a relay click? Can you hear a relay click with s Td5 idling?

I don't know of any relay which could do that. Can you check and trace the wiring of that relay?
Post #1006523 5th Sep 2023 5:54am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
For the click look on glow plug relay. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1006524 5th Sep 2023 6:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1