↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Confused!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
churchy

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Hopefully I won't be paying anything as its under warranty still!!!!!

Booked in for 08.30 so fingers x for a quick solution and a quieter trundle home tomorrow pm!
Post #84817 17th Aug 2011 12:17pm
Defendit

Australia 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
churchy wrote:

- a very annoying metallic rattle when going over minor bumps and holes in the road at low and higher speeds (done plenty of searching on here so I have my ideas as to what it could be!)

Have you checked your bonnet hinges? See my post below.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic7800.html

I suspect many cars may have this issue.
Post #85314 19th Aug 2011 11:03pm
shrekman

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
churchy wrote:
Thanks for advice - removed cubby box & accessed top of gearbox through hatch - reconnected loose white swicth that had come off its mount and replaced wires back in their cover sheaths.

Still no reversing light but found a big thick black cable bolted at one end seemingly to gearbox assembly and hanging free at the other - looks at though it has melted at the free end. Any ideas where this should be attached too??????????!!!!!!!!! (Have taken pics but can't work out how to add them?)

Thinking a call to the dealer and a trip back to enquire about this and the whistle / whine and the rattle!!!!!

cheers
Churchy

sounds like the gearbox to chassis earth lead ..... ???? could the exhaust have melted it ???? Big Cry spent 20 years fixing them ... the dealers just wont listen !!!!
Post #85321 20th Aug 2011 12:43am
churchy

Hi all,

Well the rattle was traced to a heat shield - apparently fixed but rattling again within hours. I believe its the issue with the rear brake calipers as I seem to be able to move the pins if I poke my finger through the wheel. It also does not rattle if I go over a bump in the road whilst braking.

Secondly it's still whining - mainly at 50-70mph but also regularly at lower speeds - thinking the common gasket issue.

I have pointed the dealer in the direction of both the above, they're coming to collect the car this morning so it's back to the dealer for the third time.............

Feel like a fussy customer and I accept it's not all going to be 100% for a 2nd hand car but part of me also thinks I shouldn't put up with it or do the hard work for them........

On the plus side they did fix the reverse light issue and replace an oil seal so not all bad!

Fingers x!
Post #86771 31st Aug 2011 9:50am
churchy

A few back & forth phone calls later and a lot of internal decision making @ Land Rover and finally I have my wagon back with a new turbo!

It seems they finally relented and agreed that the whistling and whining was a knackered turbo and a fault rather than a feature (as I had previosly been told!!!!!!)

All currently seems well but they could not fix the rattle..........I am convinced it's the brake pad / caliper issue as I am sure its not correct to be able to push the pins in the brake pads assembly about with your fingers through the back wheels............
Post #87919 6th Sep 2011 5:55pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The pad retention pins are designed to be a loose fit to allow the pads to move freely, so what you are finding is entirely normal.

The rattle is (imho) really down to penny-pinching on the design of the "anti-rattle" ( Laughing ) springs, which are simple coils around the pins between the pads and almost completely useless. If your springs are deteriorated, it might be worth fitting new ones, but it may not make the slightest difference.

It would not be difficult to design a spring which actually does the job, but I don't know of any available off the shelf.
Post #88030 7th Sep 2011 12:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12