↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > CV Joint (Puma)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
From Landrover the front TDCi CV joints are now only available complete with the shaft. (The snap ring, collar and inner shaft are shown on the diagram as separate parts but marked NLA)
Part numbers and prices (incl vat)
LH TDB500290 £290
RH TDB500280 £342
Genuine GKN ones can be found for slightly less if you search online. Pattern ones can be found for less than a fifth this price but are likely made from cheese.

If you want to fit Ashcroft CV joints then you also need to fit their shafts as the inner splines on their CV joints are different, the notes on their website explain it quite well. This would cost around £864

If, as is likely (I've not had to change a front shaft on a late Defender so don't have first hand experience) that Landrover used a square section snap ring to lock the shaft to the CV joint then it will be all but impossible to separate them.

The basic Defender design may not have changed in 30 years but many individual parts have, to the extent that they are not compatible across the model years without needing to change (possibly many) other parts as well.
Post #899907 25th Apr 2021 7:09am
dorsetsmith

Silver110 wrote:
So seems like this maybe just another thread without a definitive answer!

Dorsetsmith, what CV joints have you purchased and used in the past. and do they come with the ring? I’ve never done it before but I’m pretty certain this can be done. After all we are talking about a defender whose design hasn’t changed in 30 years.

Oldowner, what makes you so adamant that it can’t be done when Dorsetsmith has said he’s already done it? What part do you think is not doable? Not having a dig just curious?

Thank you both for your help.

Work puma CV replacement 110 and 90 in Nigeria in 2014 working for FCO both 2007 builds defender's and we need then back on the road to get main work started when its part arrived from UK

both had round type snap ring parts and number from Nigeria so no use to you
Post #899934 25th Apr 2021 11:22am
Silver110

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zermatt Silver
blackwolf wrote:
I have a pair of original Puma front shafts/CVs which I took out to replace with Ashcroft HD items. If I can find them I'll see if they can be split in the traditional way - it was my understanding that they can but I haven't bothered to try before.

Would be good if we can find this out. As I have just phone 3 garages and 2 parts sellers and again all conflicting advise.

There seems to be so many threads and info on this but none that show any evidence! Would be good to put this to bed.
Post #900073 26th Apr 2021 12:57pm
Silver110

So are we saying that the only difference is that it’s a “square” snap ring instead of a round one. So will just be hard work separating.

Are we saying that the CV joint and the HS are the same products as of old? So if you can get apart with out damaging the HS then a old CV joint will fit on the shaft with a “round” snap ring?
Post #900075 26th Apr 2021 12:59pm
Silver110

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This is a 2008 2.4tdci 110. I have taken out half shaft. Didn’t have a vice so just held halfshaft and gave it a whack with a club hammer. Didn’t want to budge so ended up smashing the ball cage. Which left me with the cog and a round spring circlip. (If that’s what it’s called.)

I tried to hit the “cog” off with the clip in place but wasn’t budging. I actually used a aggressive jig saw blade to hook
Out one end of the clip and it popped off.

So now going to order a CV joint and see if we can get it back on, see what happens.

Does this look like a replaceable CV anyone that’s done this?
Post #901063 2nd May 2021 1:48pm
Silver110

Also passenger side looks like it’s been done recently (I’ve only had vehicle a year) they both are GKN CV joints.

Is GKN what Landrover put in or are these both aftermarkets? Also how do I find the part number for the GKN CV.

TIA

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #901066 2nd May 2021 2:37pm
dorsetsmith

Have seen your haft shaft with no spacer ring so updated shaft JLR use GKN CV,
The driver side CV bad way look like rust on part that go in to Front Stub Axle roller bearing

Click image to enlarge
Post #901086 2nd May 2021 6:14pm
Silver110

Hi,
Yeah I’ve ordered a new CV and a new stub axle and bearing. So hopefully be all good when goes back together.

Couldn’t get hold of a GKN CV joint so had to get a bearmach which is made by ODM.
Post #901389 4th May 2021 8:26pm
Silver110

So finally new TD5 CV joint arrived. I can now confirm that it doesn’t fit the Puma shaft.

The opening into the CV joint is a lot smaller than the Puma shaft.

I am now just going to order a TD5 halfshaft so I can replace seperately in the future.

Pics below.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #902651 12th May 2021 9:45am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Very interesting, thanks for posting. Thumbs Up
Post #902659 12th May 2021 11:06am
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
Oldowner wrote:

and pre 2007 ones don’t fit as the Puma shaft uses roll formed larger diameter splines as opposed to the pre 2007 cut splines.

I did say two weeks ago that the Puma shaft was larger so won’t fit but no-one listened!
Post #903328 16th May 2021 5:32am
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Sometimes you got to let them learn it for themselves
Post #903341 16th May 2021 7:48am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I read somewhere that britpart cv joint are not too bad.. actually they were praised. Family member using one piece half shafts on the rear with no complaints.
Given that the complete Puma cv joint and shaft assy from BP is not expensive, is it not worth going for that?
Since the puma shaft is thicker, is the outside diameter of the puma cv joint also bigger, or something else is smaller to get to same overall diameter? 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #903352 16th May 2021 8:39am
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
The cv joint / shaft assembly was reworked as with the 300tdi / td5 the front half shaft was the weakest point, snapping at the reduced diameter where it entered the CV joint. The TDCi with the extra low end torque required the shaft to be uprated, hence the larger diameter shafts. The physical dimensions of the actual CV joint are the same, I think that just the centre was reworked to accommodate the larger shafts

What you find now is that as the TDCI is fourteen years old you get unknowledgable garages and home mechanics buying replacement older type CV joints and thinking they can save a few pounds over the one piece TDCI shafts then finding that they don’t fit, so having already paid out on a set of CV joints then buy a set of older shafts but in doing so are downgrading the front axle by putting back one of the weak points that Land Rover did manage to engineer out for the TDCI.

So Silver110, I was so adamant it can’t be done because as you have found out, it can’t.
Post #903375 16th May 2021 10:15am
dorsetsmith

weak points that Land Rover did manage to engineer out for the TDCI. Rolling with laughter gearbox output shaft - front axle post 07 with a bolt on parts as a fix - engine bay wiring short cut too save 20p per loom
Post #903410 16th May 2021 3:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>