↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Opnions on Gulf oil for use in Td5?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MalteseRover

Malta 
Opnions on Gulf oil for use in Td5?
hello
I have been away for quite a while.

I am considering buying a 208 litre drum of engine oil for the td5. I have been offered a Gulf Superfleet XLE at 10W40 .

I know that 10W40 is highly questioned among some people. I have been using Texaco Havoline 10w40 for the past few years. it is hot here in Malta.

It has ACEA E6 and E7,

opinions?

joseph
Post #899334 21st Apr 2021 2:57pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
As long as the specs are the same then there should be no problem at all.

The 10w40 vs. 5w30w is a matter of opinion and dependant upon your local conditions. I have run with 40 here in the UK when required and anyway the fact that it retains its lubrication properties at 40degC as opposed to 30degC is neither here nor there IMHO. Obviously the cold temperature performance of 10w wouldn't be ideal hear in North Wales, but when in a pinch.... Besides there is an argument that if you have re-mapped your TD5 and the result is that the engine now runs at a higher average temperature the choice of 10w40 is a wise one to make. Plus you live in Malta as you say... Wink

The only thing I will say is that 208L drum is ALOT of oil and you should check whether it degrades with time. It is also worth thinking about your storage facilities as well because condensation within the barrel can accumulate quite a lot of water over time.
Post #899338 21st Apr 2021 3:35pm
MalteseRover

Malta 
Hi yes.. remapped to 190/180hp by PO. The issue is usage is regular but drives are short 10s of miles. But i do tow every now and then.

I am used to buying drums I am on the second one for my series 3 2.25 diesel. They are stored indoors in a garage and elevated from the ground. The only issue would be whether the additives degrade? the Drums are kept closed too.

i am used to changing oils once a year in the td5 including filters in spring. Last time I opened it (seal replacement) the top had lots of dark deposits compared to the tidy and nearly clean heads seen on youtube. So i thought i could do the drain at a shorter time interval.

Thanks.
Post #899371 21st Apr 2021 7:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1