↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > How to clean alloys?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
johnnyd

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Thanks for all the recommends.......before i order one of them, what do you think of this, I only mention it because its half price currently and i can pick one up today?

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-clea...hgreferral 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #898358 15th Apr 2021 7:45am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Hello johnnyd, from Aussie.
The fronts will always create more dust because that is where the majority of the braking retardation occurs.
Your front wheels have a more solid residue because it is obviously some time since the wheels have been cleaned properly & the dust has been allowed to become somewhat embedded.
So, you will need to use a good wheel cleaner, obey the instructions & after it's started to work, "aggravate" it with a toothbrush to really get the cleaner into the dust. You'll probably have to do it a few times, but if you are persistent, it will give gradually be removed, albeit with maybe a bit of "pitting" in the paint finish.
Make sure you give the wheels & brakes a good drenching with water afterwards to avoid any residue on your brake surfaces & wheels.
Pickles.
Post #898550 15th Apr 2021 10:56pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
johnnyd wrote:
Thanks for all the recommends.......before i order one of them, what do you think of this, I only mention it because its half price currently and i can pick one up today?

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-clea...hgreferral

This original wonderwheels is quite acidic, so you have to be very careful with it . The bilt hamber wheel cleaner, and those that have attempted to copy it perform the same or better but with much reduced risk of damage to the wheel coating.
Post #898588 16th Apr 2021 8:49am
Pace

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
markb110 wrote:
The great man, he says use oven cleaner.....

Not watched it as I personally cannot stand the bloke, but from the title alone I can tell you that oven cleaner is too aggressive.

In answer to the original question, I wouldn't put anything that wasn't designed for cleaning alloy wheels near anything you remotely hold value to. Many products are just too acidic, so a neutral PH is important as others have stated. Even standard TFRs are known to corrode wheel nuts and were subsequently banned from the detailing bay of many a dealership. If you have the slightest nick in your lacquer, you will soon have flakes coming off as the harsher chemicals will continue to track underneath long after you think you washed them away.

Any product by Bilt Hamber is a good bet for its intended purpose, other than that Autoglym is usually a novice-proof range.
Post #898742 17th Apr 2021 9:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12