↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Repairs advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TXH90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue
Repairs advice
Hi all, just after some seasoned opinions...

Wagon went into the shop today ( a day early) as brake line offside corroded out and leaking fluid so brakes out... I think when I was pressure washing out debris in wheel arch etc has finally seen it off. It will have offside and near side replaced.. mechanic reckons it is better to sort rear brake lines if/when cross member is seen to.

This leads me to the problem it was going in for... trying to jack the vehicle near side rear jacking point the jack took off the suspension but as soon as it was dealing with vehicle load the bar (?) wasn’t stay parallel with ground... cross member was deforming south... corroded out.

I went in hoping to get that seen to but hadn’t appreciated the costs involved due to labour as it is quite an involved job. Mechanic, who is great and really upfront says it is a three zero job (i.e. 1000-1500) 1/4 chassis repair, which knocked me for six a little bit. The alternative is to ‘patch’ it now and weld repair, which he thinks will give her a couple more years life ( time to save Crying or Very sad , learn how to weld Laughing or win the lottery Rolling with laughter ) before it needs more systematic repair.

At the moment my thinking is go with the patch repair, all brake lines sorted and any other advisories he thinks should have attention.. I want to do right by the vehicle and give it some longevity.

Concerns around the corrosion were well-founded it seems then.. so I also asked about under sealing and dinitrol treatment fair play he said there is little point unless the vehicle is treated factory new it simply seals in existing corrosion.

Interested in your thoughts on any of it Bow down

Ta,
Tom
Post #898324 14th Apr 2021 10:54pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
I guess it comes down to budget and how long you intend to keep the car. There is nothing wrong with having it patched by someone that is competent, as long as it passes the MOT. Learning to weld is an option, most of the chassis repair work is relatively accessible so getting some welding experience or doing a MIG training course would set you up pretty well.
Post #898337 15th Apr 2021 6:12am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
if you want to keep it long term, patch and save for a chassis replacement.

if you are selling it is a toss up as a rusty chassis is the first thing any buyer should be looking for. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #898339 15th Apr 2021 6:41am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
double post!! DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #898340 15th Apr 2021 6:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1