↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Shipping container
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jim4244

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Shipping container
Anyone here using a shipping container for extra storage? I need to free up space in my garage for an upcoming project.

Thinking of buying a 20’ one and cladding the outside with wood so that it looks half decent, putting in a side door and hooking it up to the electric. I have checked with the local council and they don’t appear to have a problem with it.

Any experience of what I am thinking of doing?

Jim
Post #897892 13th Apr 2021 8:44am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I used to use one at work, it was really bad for condensation on the ceiling dripping everywhere. We put a tube heater in but it didn’t seem to help much. Some sort of ventilation would probably help. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #897894 13th Apr 2021 8:47am
stew 46

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
Vents and thermal paint is the answer Thumbs Up
Post #897895 13th Apr 2021 8:48am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Our local planning authority are not keen on shipping containers and always insist on a planning application. In the few cases that are granted it is always conditional on three years use.

I would suggest that before you go ahead you get confirmation in writing from your local planning department rather than just a verbal from some junior at the council. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #897901 13th Apr 2021 9:07am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Cladding may help the condensation problem.

We also used to use them at work. You need to choose your supplier carefully as conditions vary - although you can buy new. We got some beautiful straight hardly marked ones but some looked like they had been bounced or had big dents in them. Frustrating if you are putting in shelves or lining the inside.

The other thing to think about is security because the standard container padlock latches are useless. I speak from bitter experience. Containers seem to be a magnet for thieves. The local building company near where I used to work got so fed up with break ins they gave up securing theirs and just left low value bits in it. Obviously location will play a big part io it’s security.

Useful bit of kit. Wish I had one for storage.
Post #897904 13th Apr 2021 9:16am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I currently use two for storage in different parts of the country. One is an old one, which had a big condensation problem that was massively reduced when (with the permission of the owner) I cut a significant number of 2" diameter holes in the sides and fixed end just below roof level. This allows good airflow and has helped a lot.

The other is a brand new container which doesn't seem to have anything like the same condensation issue, although I really don't know why not.

A couple of other points to bear in mind. Firstly, as noted above, they attract thieves like a cowpat attracts flies. The standard container locks are a joke, and even a standard lock box won't slow a thief down for more than a few seconds (they cut the lock off with a cordless grinder or Stihl saw). For this reason site you container where it cannot be attacked without someone raising the alarm.

Secondly old ropey bent damaged ones are not (generally) cheap and can be a lot of hassle. If it is a long-term solution, consider buying (or renting on your site) a new one, they are less expensive than you may think (they are only really expensive if you rent one on site from a storage provider, if you can get one from a container supplier on your own property they are much better value).

With imagination you can get two SI 80" vehicles in a 20' container, provided that one is dismantled.
Post #897909 13th Apr 2021 9:28am
bigdave

United Kingdom 
Id suggest currently they would be quite expensive.

Since the pandemic started airfreight capacity collapsed by about 85%.

Most of this cargo has gone sea freight and hence container prices may have gone somewhat north.

Agree with the comments on condensation too.

Best of luck.

Dave

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Shipping is my thing.
If we cant shift it, to anywhere, it cant be shifted!! md.couriers@virgin.net
Post #897913 13th Apr 2021 9:38am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Was going to post the same as BigDave above.

I’m working for a chap who normally buys a couple each summer uses them for his business then sells them at the end of the summer. This year is no go. He can’t get hold of them, unless paying silly money.
Post #897915 13th Apr 2021 9:49am
s55shh

United Kingdom 
bury it with a little shed/staircase above.
Post #897922 13th Apr 2021 9:55am
Tim in Scotland

Condensation can be hugely reduced by buying containers that used to be used for shipping fresh fruit and veg in but not a temperature/atmosphere controlled one. There are units that have a “ventaxia” style domestic electric fan in the end opposite the doors that sucks air out that is replaced by incoming air through the 20 vent holes in each corner of the container. We used them for carrying fresh onions from Tasmania to Tilbury via Cape Horn........ they are known at sea as Fantainers, the fan connects to a 13amp socket but be careful as they are 110v for safety reasons Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #897931 13th Apr 2021 10:31am
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
Just to echo the comments above, if budget allows buy a new/"one trip" container. The old ropey containers can be more hassle than they are worth.
I have two standard 20ft containers, one old and one new - the new one doesn't suffer with any condensation at all, the old one is awful in the winter.

My usual supplier is selling green 20ft "one trip" containers at £3720inc VAT + delivery at the moment which is significantly more than I paid 18 months ago due to the reasons mentioned above by Big Dave. BORG - Bucks & Oxon 4x4 Response Group
Post #897933 13th Apr 2021 10:42am
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I have 5 40ft and 4 20ft used for storage, nothing special, no issues at all with condensation they have vents and that's been good enough.

got our first one probably 10 years ago and not had any issues.

In my opinion buying nearly new ones is a waste. we paid about £12-1400 per 40ft.

Have also placed them side by side and bulit a roof ontop with doors at either end for extra storage...

don't have any pics to hand but here is google earth

Click image to enlarge
Post #897953 13th Apr 2021 12:27pm
jim4244

So here is an example of what I am thinking of getting

Click image to enlarge

It will be positioned on the inside of an “L” in my fence so that it becomes an infill. Then it will be painted the same colour as the fence so that it blends in nicely.

As for condensation, it with have 40mm of insulation and then lined with plywood. Ventilation will be installed to ensure good air flow. A side door will also be installed at the end furthest from the cargo doors.

Jim
Post #897959 13th Apr 2021 12:42pm
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
My 90 has been stored in a container for the last 5 years (long term storage), condensation wasn't bad but as some experiences but the condition of the container much affects this. When the container was moved under a barn roof the condensation disappeared totally. At work we use them for sea freight to Africa and then storage on construction sites with over 80% humidity and once again, a secondary roof a couple of feet above helps with both condensation and temperature control, even if it is just wrinkly tin on a timber frame.

Purchase wise for a 2nd hand unit, inspect it first if you have a chance, get someone to close the doors with you inside and check for daylight coming through the roof, walls and door seals, then put a hosepipe over it also and check inside for leaks inside. Single use is more cost effective than a new container but many suppliers will offer cheaper B or C grade containers with a 'water tight warranty'.

Given how expensive they have become of late a shed might be a more practical solution however? 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles

Last edited by Harry.O on 13th Apr 2021 1:38pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #897964 13th Apr 2021 12:48pm
jim4244

Hmmmm...... yes the prices have jumped. Maybe the way ahead is a well built steel shed?

I need something 8’ wide and either 15’ long or 20’ long. This is why a high cube 20’ shipping container looked good.

Jim
Post #897968 13th Apr 2021 1:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>