↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Dust extractors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SJM2018

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
Dust extractors
I've been renovating a Victorian terrace over the last two years and been getting by with cheap shop vac's like the £50 Titan jobbies from Screwfix.

I opened the fireplace at the weekend, ready to get someone to fit a log burner (don't tell Greta!) and despite being really careful (full face respirator (3M 6000), shop vac, sealing the room, sealing the rubble bags, wiping down the walls, mopping the floor, stripping off and dumping my clothes in the washing machine, jumping straight into the shower and so on....); I had horrible back snot and all three of us were sneezing for a couple of days after.

I'm pretty sure its the shop vac that has been blasting fine particles all over the house (the exhaust port is really dirty), so I've decided to spend a reasonable amount on a proper commercial grade dust extractor.

I've still got a few more rooms to do and will likely renovate our next house; so was thinking of one of these:

https://dustarrest.com/products/starmix-sa...gIglPD_BwE [the manufacturer of the Mafell / Metabo extractors]

https://www.averncleaningsupplies.com/ATTI...gKe4fD_BwE [the manufacturer of the Mirka / Flex extractors]

https://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/vtuf-hclass-mid...gIMKPD_BwE [never heard of them before]

The nasties I tend to encounter are: MDF, treated timber, brick / concrete dust, plaster / jointing compound, old paint (unlikely to be lead as re-done in the last 25 years) and general Censored .

I was thinking of going for class H as the premium over class M isn't a huge percentage more (the Starmix is their 'SafePlus' model which apparently is almost a H).

Does anyone have any experience of the above models? Is it worth going for class H? 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #897509 11th Apr 2021 5:16pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
I think as long as it is hepa filtered it should do the job. I’m a big Festool fan having their routers and track saw, so if I was going down the dust extractor route I’d start there.
Post #897515 11th Apr 2021 5:47pm
SJM2018

The first machine I properly looked at was the CTM 26 E AC, but people on the forums reckon they don't like silica dust.

Given my usage I'm sure it would be fine, but (and it sounds silly) they're almost too nice for the abuse I'd given them.

If I was on the Festool system and I did almost solely woodwork it would be a no brainer. I've got the dewalt track saw and wished I'd paid the extra to get the TS55, so I had the option to run a router on the rails too. 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #897517 11th Apr 2021 6:25pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
I must admit to doing similar sorts of jobs and have always had good results with the Titan type - although I do use the std paper filter with the foam sock duct taped on and then the paper bag.

One thing we found also useful (but if you're in a terrace may not be suitable) is windows open and an electric Stilh garden vac sat in the fireplace pointed up the chimney, adds a bit of boosted ventilation.

HTH Keith
Post #897518 11th Apr 2021 6:32pm
SJM2018

I saw a video on Youtube of this American guy sanding drywall. He did something similar by effectively pressurizing the room with a big fan / sealing the door / ventilation points and then letting all the dust go out of a window. Suspect my neighbors would be less than impressed if I had a go at that Rolling with laughter

The only thing with the titan style vacs is that from the (albeit limited) research I've done over the weekend, they're not even really suitable for softwood dust. I think it's pretty poor that Screwfix sell them, without flagging that they don't even meet the minimum dust extraction requirements set out by the HSE.

But then I guess they're aimed at DIYERs, not professionals, so does it make that big a difference if you're only exposed to the dust every now and again. 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #897550 11th Apr 2021 8:01pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
I've got the festool - https://www.festool.co.uk/products/dust-ex...-i-gb-240v

Amazing bit of kit, like the rest of their range superior to anything on the market. Highly recommend and especially good with the really fine dust.
Post #897563 11th Apr 2021 8:30pm
SJM2018

I think I'm going to go for the Festool.

My mitre saw is 1800 watts and the machines I was looking at are 1400; so will be pushing the limit of a 13amp socket. Where as the Festools are only 1200, so will be fine.

Also, on the Festool their class L and class M have the same level of dust extraction (the M comes with an audible alert if it becomes blocked, which makes it a M).

Cheers for the help! 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #897584 11th Apr 2021 9:20pm
Co1

I’m not a professional but enjoy woodwork and making furniture. I wouldnt go anywhere other than Festool for my woodworking tools, the quality is incredible and the thoughtful design features make them a pleasure to use.
Post #897634 12th Apr 2021 7:38am
SJM2018

The biggest issue with the Festool stuff is that it is very slippery slope... I'm already looking at their little palm sander, the hand sanding block and the drilling dust nozzle Laughing

Cheapest I've found the unit is £470 on FFX:

https://www.ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Festool-...gILs_D_BwE

I've tired a couple of tool suppliers who don't tend to appear on the google searches with no luck. 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #897655 12th Apr 2021 8:34am
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
SJM2018 wrote:
I think I'm going to go for the Festool.

My mitre saw is 1800 watts and the machines I was looking at are 1400; so will be pushing the limit of a 13amp socket. Where as the Festools are only 1200, so will be fine.

Also, on the Festool their class L and class M have the same level of dust extraction (the M comes with an audible alert if it becomes blocked, which makes it a M).

Cheers for the help!

Don't bother with the one with the audible alarm, it's obvious when the bag gets full as it gets really heavy. Also, get the little blue tooth on and off switch that connects to the end of the extraction hose. save you constantly having to keep going back to the unit to turn on and off. Worth its weight in gold.

FFX is my go to suppler. I've got their mitre saw and plunge saw, both superb.
Post #897664 12th Apr 2021 9:22am
Co1

SJM2018 wrote:
The biggest issue with the Festool stuff is that it is very slippery slope... I'm already looking at their little palm sander, the hand sanding block and the drilling dust nozzle Laughing

Cheapest I've found the unit is £470 on FFX:

https://www.ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Festool-...gILs_D_BwE

I've tired a couple of tool suppliers who don't tend to appear on the google searches with no luck.

It is a slippery slope, and I’ve got a local main dealer about 6 miles away! Just round the corner from Twisted... another slippery slope!
Post #897665 12th Apr 2021 9:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1