↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tubed Tyre inc Tube on Tubeless wheel ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Tubed Tyre inc Tube on Tubeless wheel ?
As a spare wheel for my penman trailer I have an unused Avon range master 7.50 r16 Tubed Tyre. I now need to acquire a steel rim on which to fit it. Either a standard rim or a wider wolf rim. The latter being my preference.

The Question in my mind.

Can I fit a Tubed tyre including inner tube onto a Tubeless rim ?
I’m aware that I will need an inner tube with a wider diameter valve, or a valve adapter to make it wider. Also that the inner surface of the tyre needs be very clean and smooth, including the removal of any labels and adhesive residue, and that a Michelin inner tube is the best tube to use.

So can a Tubed tyre with an inner tube safely and legally be used on a Tubeless steel rim ?
I would prefer using a Tubeless rim as I can then use a Tubeless tyre at a later date.

Expert views appreciated
Post #897381 11th Apr 2021 10:38am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
That should be fine, the only difficulty you may have is that the lip in the rim for seating the bead of a tubeless tyre makes it harder to fit or remove.
Post #897406 11th Apr 2021 12:13pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I have that setup on another vehicle as it was prone to the beads coming off the rims and totally deflating the tyres when running at low pressures.

Only issue is the opposite ~ getting the beads to seat when inflating the tubes!
Post #897493 11th Apr 2021 4:38pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Thanks Blackwolf , I was hoping that would be the answer. Now to find a wolf rim and the right Michelin tube Very Happy

Supacat, it’s good to know that someone else has this setup, and where I live we have a lot of tractors and farmers with machinery that needs tubes so I will pick one of the tyre services that deal with them and hopefully they should have the knack to fitting them.
Post #897521 11th Apr 2021 6:35pm
v8bob

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
You can get genuine tubed type wolf rims.
Post #897535 11th Apr 2021 7:09pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I would have gone Tubed rim if using a tubeless rim was not possible, but prefer to go for tubeless rim as I will use for subsequent tubeless tyres and you should not use a tubeless tyre on a Tubed rim.
Post #897548 11th Apr 2021 7:54pm
Supacat

Ianh wrote:
Supacat, it’s good to know that someone else has this setup, and where I live we have a lot of tractors and farmers with machinery that needs tubes so I will pick one of the tyre services that deal with them and hopefully they should have the knack to fitting them.

Watch how they do it and let me know if there's a trick. Tried alsorts including ratchet straps around the circumference but not really got a foolproof method.

Was thinking some sort of bead blaster might be the way to go?

Click image to enlarge
Post #897621 12th Apr 2021 6:47am
blackwolf

Supacat wrote:
... Only issue is the opposite ~ getting the beads to seat when inflating the tubes!

Personally I have never found this to be a problem, bead lubricant and pressure have always done it for me.
Post #897636 12th Apr 2021 7:39am
Supacat

Is that fitting tubes in wheels designed for tubes? My issue, I think, is in having tubes in tubeless rims and getting the beads to seat.
Post #897644 12th Apr 2021 7:59am
blackwolf

Both or either. Over the years I have used tubes in both tube-type and tubeless carcasses, and on tube-type and tubeless Land-Rover steel rims, and haven't had trouble seating the bead. I haven't done any of this on alloy rims however. It is, of course, harder to get the bead to seat on a tubeless rim, but lubricant and pressure have always worked for me.

As far as I know the only combination that you must not use is a tubeless configuration on a tube-type rim, since (a) it will almost certainly leak because the rims are not air tight, and (b) the bead of the tyre is not sufficiently secure on the rim, allowing it to roll off into the well and deflate. So you must use a tube on a tube-type rim.

If using a tube in a tubeless carcase you need to check for roughness or blemishes that may puncture or wear through the tube, and you should also check the rim for similar defects. It is possible to use a sleeve between the rim and the tube (as is done on old-fashined HGV rims) if this is a problem (sleeves are also generally used if you are fitting a tyre and tube to an old-fahsioned split-rim wheel).

Incidentally I have never had any trouble with the inner tube valve stem with tubeless rims either.
Post #897660 12th Apr 2021 8:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1