↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Orders 2022MY (L663) > How long after placing order did you...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 20 <123 45 ... 181920>
Print this entire topic · 
Kubrick1978

United Kingdom 
I got an update today. Alas my Defender was not built on the 4th of June as originally announced. Apparently it has been put back one week to the 11th of June. This (I've been told) is good news, as some orders have had their build slot completely removed and are still awaiting dates. Let's see what happens on the 11th. The dealership is also adding on side-steps, cross bars and classic front and rear mud flaps for me.
Post #906766 7th Jun 2021 12:18pm
Og250

My dealer told me last Thursday that the car had now been built but not yet released.
Build date was 21st May and a week after that was still being built (which sounds normal).

Should I be hopeful of a delivery in 2 to 3 weeks? Confused
Post #906796 7th Jun 2021 2:08pm
Ryderoo

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Does it really take a week to build a new Defender on a modern production line?

I would have thought a week for the old defender, all those rivets!

Surely 20 to 30 man hours at best and some paint drying time say 3 days maybe. Cheers Simon

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you

2015 Urban Truck 90 XS Santorini Black Hard Top - Reluctantly gone
2020 Discovery 5 Eiger Grey 3.0 SE
2021 Defender S D250 Santorini Black 110 Hard Top on the drive
Post #906824 7th Jun 2021 5:31pm
rhausserman

United States 
Picked up my 2022 yesterday. First one in PDX. XDynamic HSE Carpathian Grey. Ordered in Feb.
Post #907156 10th Jun 2021 6:31am
rhausserman

United States 
Picked up my 2022 yesterday. First one in PDX. XDynamic HSE Carpathian Grey. Ordered in Feb.
Post #907157 10th Jun 2021 6:31am
Kubrick1978

United Kingdom 
Nice! I'm hoping mine gets built tomorrow - but yesterday I received a letter in the post from JLR reminding me about supply shortages in computer chips - basically warming me up to more delays (which is a little odd, as the same messaging is all over their website, so it seemed like a bit of a waste of paper to me).

I've gone for Carpathian Grey too. I really think it is the smartest colour for the Defender from the current palette.
Post #907204 10th Jun 2021 12:20pm
Al_Ra

England 
Mine is due to be built tomorrow too, but I've had no letters about shortages and no changes in dates since order was accepted, so maybe I'm due a slight disappointment.

We shall see...
Post #907212 10th Jun 2021 12:30pm
Ajay(UK)

England 
I think if your build is locked in and committed it should be built on time without any lengthy delays but if your order is in the "holding pool" then its anyones guess as to when you will get a confirmed build slot. Rolling Eyes

I agree with Ryderoo that it probably doesn't take a full week to build but I have also been told that there are transportation issues at Nitra with the factory churning out more cars than they can ship which may account for a lag between build completion and onward shipping to the dealer. Thumbs Up

Andy. 22MY Defender 110 X Dynamic HSE D250, Gondwana Stone with too many options!
Gone: 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.
Gone: 2014 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Firenze Red
Post #907223 10th Jun 2021 1:14pm
Al_Ra

England 
Not sure that's the case? I think Kubrick's build was locked in and committed but then slipped (even if only by a week). Hope I'm wrong.

And on that note - just checked today's post and I did in fact receive the dreaded semi-conductor shortage letter from LR.

ho-hum.
Post #907256 10th Jun 2021 3:44pm
Ajay(UK)

England 
Ours was first scheduled for build week ending 9th July, it then came forward to 18th June and then finally last month (just before last date for spec change) it shifted back to 25th June, probably as a result of the short factory shut down. My dealer has confirmed that it went committed to build on 1st June so hopefully it's still on track for this month Rolling Eyes

Al-Ra if your build date is tomorrow there is every chance it has already been built as they don't all roll out on a Friday Thumbs Up

Andy. 22MY Defender 110 X Dynamic HSE D250, Gondwana Stone with too many options!
Gone: 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.
Gone: 2014 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Firenze Red
Post #907262 10th Jun 2021 4:25pm
Al_Ra

England 
Ajay - I love your optimism! Hope you're right. Have chased dealer and will hopefully find out tomorrow.
Post #907280 10th Jun 2021 6:26pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I wonder if JLR follow a similar production model to Tesla.

This is from a Tesla forum:

"The issue is that it takes a month for cars to get from Fremont or Shanghai into the hands of customers, and Tesla don't want cars in-transit at the end of the quarter. They want every car that they build in a quarter, delivered in that quarter. As a result, the last month of a quarter (June) is about local (US/China) production as that way there's little to no transport time and they can get them delivered in the quarter.

International production restarts in the new quarter (July), but then you've got a month for the cars to travel, meaning they reach customers in month 2 of the quarter (August)"

So might be why orders are getting bumped around depending on the distance from Nitra?
Post #907291 10th Jun 2021 7:11pm
4B4B

United Kingdom 
I’m guessing there must also be an element of waiting until there are enough vehicles of a particular type / spec to group together on a line for production efficiency. Defender 90 HSE 250D 2022MY - Gave up after two failed orders
Post #907294 10th Jun 2021 7:22pm
Ryderoo

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Ajay(UK) wrote:
I think if your build is locked in and committed it should be built on time without any lengthy delays but if your order is in the "holding pool" then its anyones guess as to when you will get a confirmed build slot. Rolling Eyes

I agree with Ryderoo that it probably doesn't take a full week to build but I have also been told that there are transportation issues at Nitra with the factory churning out more cars than they can ship which may account for a lag between build completion and onward shipping to the dealer. Thumbs Up

Andy.

My timeline was - ordered 16th March - Holding pool 31st March- 13th April dealer contact for build and delivery dates - build 8th June - delivery 29th June - Spec locked early May (can’t for life on me remember the date).

No letters or emails received from JLR since ordering just contact with my dealer, which I have been happy with. So my thinking is the same, my Defender has probably been built now, or very close to. Cheers Simon

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you

2015 Urban Truck 90 XS Santorini Black Hard Top - Reluctantly gone
2020 Discovery 5 Eiger Grey 3.0 SE
2021 Defender S D250 Santorini Black 110 Hard Top on the drive
Post #907357 11th Jun 2021 8:44am
TRGRichie

United Kingdom 
Well when I started this thread I didn’t think I’d still be waiting for a date, but here I am still in the holding pool.

Pretty poor communication is the worst bit, if Land Rover we’re just up front and said when it was likely to be it would not be do bad, and seeing people ordering now and knowing full well the dealers are lying about delivery times… well it sours the whole thing a bit, oh well I’m sure it will be worth the wait….
Post #907452 11th Jun 2021 7:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 20 <123 45 ... 181920>