↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Driving in Germany post Brexit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Driving in Germany post Brexit
With the latest news looking like we can travel abroad this summer, I need to visit a friend and pick up a few items from him.

When I got into the EU in January it was completely bonkers the questions I was asked and documents I had to produce... this is the real Brexit.. I arrived on Ferry and watched customs completely tear apart all the vehicles arriving from the UK

One thing was they will impound my car now and crush it (bit dramatic) if I stay in EU for more then 90 days...

I recall from other posts about everything needing TUV approval in Germany, if I take my modified defender to Germany am I just going to have a load of aggravation ? I can just imagine every copper pulling me as they aren't too happy about Brexit. (lived in Germany for 6 weeks earlier this year but had a hire car)

What do I need other than the basics, first aid kit, triangle, hi vis, (do JW speaker evo2 need the beam pattern altered for EU driving)?

Car isn't standard at all and will have a Pelican 1770 case and roof tent strapped on top so will stick out a lot.

My plan was NCL - Ijmuiden ferry and drive down (he is almost on the Swiss border) But thinking it's maybe best to just take the bog standard Audi and get a hotel rather than camping?

I remember from years ago we needed a little sticker to drive in germany on the window? what is that is it still ongoing?

Kind regards, Liam
Post #896909 9th Apr 2021 11:45am
RoadForce

Netherlands 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Coniston Green
You mean the sticker indicating how environmentally (un)friendly your car is? That's still the case, but only needed when driving in a Unwelt Zone. These are typically found in city centres and not motorways, but be sure to check your route upfront to avoid a ticket. Defender 130 HCPU Td5 MY2000
Post #896917 9th Apr 2021 12:16pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Is there no information on the German Embassy web site or at least an email to message someone.

The last thing you need is for some official to say ‘For you, zee cooler’.

Might be worth packing a base ball and glove for just in case reasons. Whistle
Post #896921 9th Apr 2021 12:34pm
Likeomg

There's little post Brexit information.

Even tho I was travelling for work I had to open my internet banking and show proof of funds, it was an hour interrogation before being permitted in... hence taking a highly modified defender is putting me off. this was in the Netherlands before I even got close to the German border.

I did want to swing by Chamonix / Argentière on the way back and stay at a friends Lodge / do some camping.

The RS4 would be fun on the autobahn... shame what I need to collect is too big for the V12S.
Post #896924 9th Apr 2021 12:55pm
Likeomg

I believe i need the following

Umweltzone - Emissions sticker.
GB Sticker - near license plate.
Warning triangle
First aid kit
reflective jacket

Documents
Full, valid UK driving licence
Proof of ID (passport)
Motor insurance certificate
V5 registration document

The Vienna Convention allows my car albeit modified to still drive in Germany?

Cheers.
Post #896929 9th Apr 2021 1:37pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
You’ll need to speak to your insurance about a green card. You can no longer just take you uk policy cert. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #896931 9th Apr 2021 1:43pm
Likeomg

Perfect - just applied for one.
Post #896935 9th Apr 2021 1:59pm
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
Some countries require Hi vis vests 1 for each occupant and must be in reach of each occupant at all times
France - breath alcohol detector x 2 I think
France - No speed camera warnings on devices like sat nav etc

Even before Brexit NL was a nightmare to work in as a contractor, lots of protectionism 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #896942 9th Apr 2021 2:26pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I thought the breath test for France died a death before it actually came into force.

I have two memories of being stopped on the Continent ~ one in Switzerland where a jodhpur wearing policeman walked out into the middle of a dual carriageway to wave a ping pong bat at me. I had not put my lights on for a 20 metre tunnel ~ cost me a number of Euros; and once where a Gendarme flagged me down and summoned me to drive off the road up a kerb for what I thought was a routine stop in a busy town. The kerb height was too tall for the front splitter on the vehicle and as much as he waved his hands to summon me forward, I pointed to the kerb and shouted "c'est impossible". The traffic built up behind me with the inevitable touting of horns, and with a very Gallic gesture I was told to Censored right off and continue on my way.

I love driving on the Continent.
Post #896988 9th Apr 2021 5:06pm
Likeomg

We used to do it quite frequently - tow a boat down to Annecy, Garda for summer hols but haven't done it in over 10 years now.

Seen some things. Highlight was Gotthard pass can't believe car made it with 3.5 ton of boat (probably more once loaded)
Post #896992 9th Apr 2021 5:13pm
Hendrix

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
You only need the umwelt sticker if you plan on driving into the centre of cities.
As a tourist your vehicle only needs to be legal in the country of origin. Plenty of non europeans have been bringing their overland vehicles to europe to tour without problems other than issues around the 90 day thing.
On the yellow vests note that they have to be accesible without getting out of the car in a number of countries, its one some police like for picking up spot fines.
Also dont forget no meat or dairy when you enter EU.
A lot of early problems are due to anti Brexit sentiment. Andy

1996 300TDI 110 SW
2013 TDCI 110 Utility
Post #897198 10th Apr 2021 12:28pm
Likeomg

Hi Andy,

this was my concern, the early issues due to Brexit.. The Germans I worked with really weren't impressed.

hoping to book my ferry for mid June but will wait and see what Boris comes up with.
Post #897203 10th Apr 2021 1:26pm
RoadForce

Netherlands 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Coniston Green
With no intention of going off topic and turning this into yet another Brexit fight, I do feel that a lot of the comments re. the way continental Europe now acts are biassed / from a unilateral point of view. Living in NL I can assure you that GB/UK/... acts in a similar way. I think it's only fair to say both parties are struggling to deal with the situation, and there's mishaps and misbehavior on either side of the Channel. Having said that, it would be naïeve to think things would remain the same when it comes to travelling post-Brexit... Defender 130 HCPU Td5 MY2000
Post #897212 10th Apr 2021 3:36pm
kenzle8a

They hated us driving in the EU before breakfast, I’m not looking forward to trying to drive a UK plated car there any time soon.
Post #897254 10th Apr 2021 7:20pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Personally find it best to wait until they have had their Siesta, always a bit testy first thing on a morning........ Razz
Post #897259 10th Apr 2021 7:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>