↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Speed sign recognition
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
deaston

United Kingdom 
Speed sign recognition
Out of interest, what happens if you have the car limiter on and enter, say, a 30mph zone from a 50mph zone? Does is recognise the limit and decrease?

Does the car coast to the slower speed or apply the brakes?

And going into a higher limit, does the car accelerate? Is there a way of adjusting the rate of acceleration?

Is there any other use case for the sign recognition other than displaying it in the instrument cluster?

In 2016 I bought a Range Rover Sport which had an "Adaptive Speed Limiter". Nothing whatsoever about it was adaptive, so I'm wondering if JLR have worked this one out.
Post #894611 29th Mar 2021 8:04am
Tim in Scotland

Gareth has posted previously that his works too well as it “sees” speed limit signs for side streets and reduces his speed to that rather than the limit for the road he is on............ he didn’t comment on speeding up but I’m sure he will be along soon to advise. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #894617 29th Mar 2021 8:52am
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
I tried the adaptive cruise control for the first time on Friday as I had to drive a 500 miles round trip .
The “adaptive” I assumed pointed to the distance between you and the car in front . It has three setting depending on how close you want to be before the vehicle acts . The first setting is ridiculous and slows you down when you’re hundreds of yards away (that’s what it feels like) , you then indicate into the overtaking lane and it speeds up rather violently until you’re back up to your set speed !
It’s not at all relaxing and I only have the VW golf to compare it to which is super smooth . https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #894629 29th Mar 2021 10:03am
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
I didn’t notice it reading signs but I’m assuming from the HUD display that it knows what the current limit is as it’s displayed next to your speed .

Our farm track is national speed limit 😂 https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #894630 29th Mar 2021 10:05am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Would be interested if it is actually reading the road signs.

On my other car, speed control is set using the sat-nav and maps.

Meanwhile, in my Defender I have to rely on good eyesight Rolling Eyes
Post #894632 29th Mar 2021 10:37am
J77

Scotland 
I have it on the Velar, used it once in 3 years. I found it useless to be honest, as Tim says the adaptive speed limiter reads 20mph signs from side streets and reduces the speed. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #894634 29th Mar 2021 10:38am
Philip

United Kingdom 
Balvaig wrote:

It is, the system will be compulsory in everything new under the EU speed limiter regs.
Post #894652 29th Mar 2021 11:50am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Thanks for the reply Phillip.
Scary stuff. So all I need to do to slow traffic down my street is to erect a fake sign.
Also raises interesting legal arguments over responsibility for speeding if the car is in control.
At the moment all I get is a warning sound if I am faster than the limit.
Post #894659 29th Mar 2021 12:08pm
zilch

Australia 
advised by the dealer on handover to disable the adaptive speed limiter if i want to
avoid unexpected variations in speed.. plus it is surplus as there is a co-pilot who is
most probably quicker at reminding me when i am a few K's over the limit Laughing yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #894800 29th Mar 2021 10:21pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Balvaig wrote:

On my other car, speed control is set using the sat-nav and maps.

Meanwhile, in my Defender I have to rely on good eyesight Rolling Eyes

Yes the system “ reads” live roadside info.
Cameras at the top of windscreen.... Good system but not 100%

Clemmo Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #894806 29th Mar 2021 10:44pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Love adaptive cruise, annoyed I missed that spec on mine...got it on the discos and use it all the time, excellent in queues etc...wife hates it though

As for speed sign recognition it uses the cameras and the base limit maps to display the speed, with the cameras over-riding the maps I think. I did play around with it before realising it was the worse system ever and dangerous

Adaptive speed limit is handy, but still as bad as above I’ve been on the motorway it goes mental thinking it’s 30mph limit as we go over a road Mike
Post #894822 30th Mar 2021 12:51am
deaston

United Kingdom 
Funnily enough, I went with S spec because anything higher had adaptive cruise.

I have adaptive cruise on a VW and absolutely hate it. I usually spend 90% of the time driving with cruise, using the button on the steering wheel to adjust the speed.

Adaptive is great on A roads, but on dual carriageways and motorways it drives me nuts. The ever-increasing virus of middle lane drivers makes it a pain to use as it won’t overtake on the inside. And it’s too easy to not realise the car has gently slowed to 60mph and you’ve been sitting behind a Sunday driver for the last few minutes.

In my VW I almost never use cruise now. I can’t wait for the Defender so I can go back to relaxed, non-adaptive driving.
Post #894870 30th Mar 2021 9:59am
DSL

United Kingdom 
zilch wrote:
advised by the dealer on handover to disable the adaptive speed limiter if i want to
avoid unexpected variations in speed.. plus it is surplus as there is a co-pilot who is
most probably quicker at reminding me when i am a few K's over the limit Laughing

Re co-pilot, good job too with the level of fines for a few k/hr over in Aus. Don’t ask me how I know. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry
Post #894872 30th Mar 2021 10:05am
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
As said, adaptive cruise is great once your used to it. It defaults on to a large gap, I usually decrease it to mid gap. It initially was quite abrupt in its reactions but seems to have smoothed out. No idea whether that’s me getting used to it, or a software update.

It does sometimes seem to react late if a vehicle moves out of lane in front, and the vehicle in front of it is stopped! But again that might be me panicking, I’m sure it would have stopped. 🙏

Queue assist which is part of adaptive is great. Absolutely love it.

If you have adaptive set to say 70mph and traffic is slowing you, you can find yourself running at 50 for example, and when a car moves out of lane the cars got 20mph to make up and it will, sometimes when it’s not appropriate, so driver must remain alert and ready to take control or adjust the set speed accordingly. I would reduce the set speed as the traffic slows. Adaptive is about maintaining a gap, not a speed.

Adaptive speed limiter with sign recognition is useless. Turn it off on Pivi settings. It’s dangerous in my opinion until some standards are adhered to on road sign positions. It works, but reads signs that are misplaced. It’s not the cars fault, it’s the stupid council who position gateway speed limit signs at the end of a side road angled towards traffic. They should be at 90 degrees to passing traffic. If they are there is no problem and it works. It is however, very abrupt. Don’t confuse Speed limiter with Adaptive speed limiter. The car has both and you need press the limiter button for more than a couple of seconds to toggle the modes. 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #894876 30th Mar 2021 10:23am
Philip

United Kingdom 
Queue assist would be better if you could select it separately, even on the single arrow setting I find adaptive cruise a bit intrusive.
Post #894883 30th Mar 2021 10:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>