↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > The utility belt
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
The utility belt
Does or has anybody seen any information about what you will be able to attach to the utility belt? I cant think of a single thing id use it for or ever seen it on another vehicle. It looks like the type of rail you get in the boot.

Post #924724 6th Oct 2021 12:45pm
ak615

Shark repellent ?

I have no idea either
Post #924725 6th Oct 2021 12:50pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
i just think batman lol Mr. Green
Post #924729 6th Oct 2021 1:13pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Perhaps there'll be an adaptor for the Land Rover Lunchbox?
Post #924730 6th Oct 2021 1:29pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
I think I heard 'eg camping table' or such like mentioned early on, which I suppose makes some sense (whilst stationary of course)!
Post #924736 6th Oct 2021 1:58pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
It's the one detail on the vehicle that I think is a utilitarian step too far and judging by the renders that people have been showing, very few will spec it. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #924738 6th Oct 2021 2:07pm
Bev

Scotland 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Not to mention the amount of mud and crud that will end up stuck in there. A nightmare to keep clean… 2002 Td5 | 90 County Station Wagon | Oslo Blue
2006 Td5 | 90 County Station Wagon | Tonga Green (Gone )
2002 Td5 | 90 County Station Wagon | Zambezi Silver (Gone)
Post #924740 6th Oct 2021 2:18pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
It looks like unwin safety rail to me. Same thing they put in wheelchair minibuses to hold down wheelchairs and seats etc. https://www.johnadamssupplies.co.uk/shop/e...nwin-rail/

I suppose theres all kinds of stuff you could attach but cant think of one which applies to the side of a vehicle!
Post #924741 6th Oct 2021 2:18pm
ChasingOurTrunks

I think it's brilliant -- it's uses are only limited by a person's imagination.

If you look at typical 4x4s, especially those used for long distance travel, they usually follow one of two approaches:

1) The "Grey Man" approach. This is more common amongst people who travel from urban centre to urban centre; they like to blend in with the locals as much as they can. They will have no use for the belt.

2) The "Function over Form" approach. We've all seen these 4x4s -- QuickFists riveted through the hood to mount a shovel, Rivnuts thrown where they will hold to hang a jerry can, etc. Each of these attachment options results in a worse vehicle though -- it creates an ingress point for rust, for one thing, and these mounting options are not engineered, which means in an accident, these "DIY" attachments are a liability in many cases.

The Utility Belt is fantastic for people in category 2, and I will be ordering mine with them. I suspect that within a few months, there will be "blank inserts" that will keep the mud and dirt out of the channels. Already I have a running list of what I can use them for:

- Jerry Cans
- Traction Aids
- Shovel
- Recovery gear
- Garbage storage
- Foul Weather Gear storage
- Bog Kit

The above are just off the top of my head of uses while "in motion". All of the above items have one thing in common - you typically don't want them bouncing around inside, because they will smell or be very dirty. Or, they are the kind of thing you want really handy -- like a Bog Kit -- because you use it a lot during the day.

In camp, there's even more uses; there is an optional Camp Table that mounts to the tailgate, but flat surfaces around camp are worth their weight in platinum so adding another camp table would be fantastic. Other uses:

- Dog Tie-out
- Hammock mount
- Cooking/Handwashing station
- Bog Kit,

Think about how we do this stuff now -- it's always relying on a recovery hook as a tie out (low, usually muddy), or trees for a hammock, or having to haul a bulky table with legs to have flat surfaces -- the utility belt can help address that stuff. And an easy to access bog kit is important no matter what so it's on both lists Very Happy

The idea is that if the mount is there, and it's rated to a certain weight, then the only limit is the user's imagination, and a lot of people are pretty imaginative. I will definitely be spec'ing the utility belt.
Post #924745 6th Oct 2021 2:32pm
J77

Scotland 
Jerry cans stuck to the doors may make it a bit wide Laughing ok if out in the open. 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #924748 6th Oct 2021 3:19pm
Smyles_

Denmark 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
For when you want to add more brown splatters down the side of your grenadier:

Click image to enlarge

Or, for when you really upset someone with who's in possession of an RPG, quickly slap on some cage armour:

Click image to enlarge

Jokes aside, this would be my preferred use of a rail along side an ice bucket on the rear passenger door:

Click image to enlarge

I would be interested to know how much torque they can resist... Stuart

Cummins 130 Build Thread
Instagram

04 110 Double Cab - Black (gone)
58 130 Double Cab HCPU - Cairns Blue
Post #924751 6th Oct 2021 3:46pm
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
ChasingOurTrunks wrote:
I suspect that within a few months, there will be "blank inserts" that will keep the mud and dirt out of the channels

Provided these are generic Unwin rails, the blanking inserts are already available:

https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/collections/vendors?q=unwin

Black strip is also available, but seemingly not from Mud:

https://www.koller.co.uk/product/rails-amp...metre-/33/

I'm fairly sure that if I didn't spec the utility belt I'd regret it quickly.
Post #924753 6th Oct 2021 3:54pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
ChasingOurTrunks wrote:

- Jerry Cans
- Traction Aids
- Shovel
- Recovery gear
- Garbage storage
- Foul Weather Gear storage
- Bog Kit

- Dog Tie-out
- Hammock mount
- Cooking/Handwashing station
- Bog Kit,

Some good ideas there but some of that stuff like shovel, traction aids etc; those rails are not really where you would want them tbh as a lot of that stuff is longer than a door etc. Most times that kind of gear would probably want to be mounted where blank window would be on the utility version id think. Also, having used those rails before most things arent locked to it, you just turn a knob to undo it. id be worried about theft and things falling off lol Mr. Green
Post #924754 6th Oct 2021 4:07pm
ChasingOurTrunks

J77 wrote:
Jerry cans stuck to the doors may make it a bit wide Laughing ok if out in the open.

Yeah a typical NATO-style Jerry Can might be a bit much on the doors, but the utility belt also covers the rear quarter panels, and it looks to me that there would be an easy mounting solution between the roof grab bars and the utility belts. Same goes for boxes for storage of kit -- I'm thinking a place that is similar to where the New Defender mounts the plastic panniers. You could probably stay within the mirror width, more or less, with that mounting location.

As for the utility belt on the doors, here in North America, there are these things called "Rotopax" which are smaller, 2.5 gallon fuel containers that are narrow and rectangular (Not sure if they have them elsewhere in the world). They would be perfect as door mounts (you'll often see them slung on a top box or side case of adventure bikes). I would more likely store fuel in a less accident-prone spot, but there's no reason not to carry a water tank in a place like that (either drinking or grey water, depending on one's application).

Obviously there are lots of other options like the roof, but that may be occupied by a tent or something similar, so overall I guess what I mean to say is it gives the user options.
Post #924763 6th Oct 2021 5:57pm
ChasingOurTrunks

Smyles_ wrote:
For when you want to add more brown splatters down the side of your grenadier:

Click image to enlarge

Or, for when you really upset someone with who's in possession of an RPG, quickly slap on some cage armour:

Click image to enlarge

Jokes aside, this would be my preferred use of a rail along side an ice bucket on the rear passenger door:

Click image to enlarge

I would be interested to know how much torque they can resist...

These are all excellent ideas! I want to delete my list and use yours instead Very Happy I'd be the most popular guy in the campground with that side-rail mounted bar!!

Mikeh501 wrote:
Some good ideas there but some of that stuff like shovel, traction aids etc; those rails are not really where you would want them tbh as a lot of that stuff is longer than a door etc. Most times that kind of gear would probably want to be mounted where blank window would be on the utility version id think. Also, having used those rails before most things arent locked to it, you just turn a knob to undo it. id be worried about theft and things falling off lol

Agreed; it depends on how they are mounted but I can see vertical mounting on the doors being an option, albeit an unusual one. Honestly it's not even the best option on the vehicle, but in my experience mounting stuff is a game of "what makes sense given my priorities". I tend to mount based on what is most safe. A shovel mounted vertically on a door using these tracks is safer than a shovel mounted on the hood in the event of an accident, but a shovel on the roof or the rear bar or something is likely a lot more practical and still as safe. However, if my roof is full, and I have no rear bar, my options might be limited to "hood or door", so the only thing that might make sense is a vertical mount on the door. Without the utility belt, my option might only be "hood", and that means my shovel becomes a spear if I hit someone. There's some YouTubers in a 130 travelling the world with a front fender shovel mount (Grizzly'n'Bear Overland), but I note they seem to only have the shovel there when off-road/in camp, and in most traffic it's not attached in that spot, which I'm guessing is for safety reasons.

Over the rear quarter window is ideal for most big longer stuff though I agree. I'm hopeful they uprate the hinges on the gull-wing window option so that we can mount a shovel or something similar to them.

Theft is definitely an issue, but I'm sure it won't take too long for someone to design locking mounts (they already exist for ambulances and stuff)
Post #924765 6th Oct 2021 6:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>