Home > My Defender > Def 110, 2012 Blaser Edition in Norway
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
BrunoJ

Norway 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Def 110, 2012 Blaser Edition in Norway
Hi,

I'm Jacek, originally from Poland, leaving in Norway, 49y.
I'm owner of my LRD from more than year, already on the forum some time, but missed to introduce the car till now.

My car:
Defender 110, 2.2, 2012/13, Blaser Edition
Currently 120.000km.

Car made for German market, few pieces of this special edition were imported by Norwegian dealer at that time.
I'm second owner of the car, and (I hope) last one Wink
This version came from factory quite well equipped inside and outside. Missing (not really) cruise control and heated mirrors (not a factory option I think?)
Previous owner added pop-top tent, however there is no other camping stuff installed (yet?).
I made some small interior mods - glovebox, 3-blink feature for turn signals. I also updated the console and radio into double din, I had to replace the radio anyway, as I needed DAB (no FM in Norway from few years). Still have to add cameras , and have some plans with putting silencing layers to improve driving comfort (all parts waiting for better weather)

Planned big rust protection service last summer in Poland, but couldn't make it because of covid :/
Additionally I attached UltraGauge device, mainly to monitor oil and coolant temperatures (which already pays back). In long term I'd like to mount it inside the dashboard, based on examples from forum
I plan to remove weapon box and divider as I'm not using it at all and they are taking unnecessary space/weight in the boot. In longer term, I consider to install some camping furniture and installation, still keeping it as 5-seater.
Still some small fixed to be made - verify heating for seats as only bottom part works, finetune some plastics and back windows, and so on. Never-ending improvements Wink

I bought this car with 103.000 millage and with not the best technical condition. Some mechanical issues to be fixed and really major cleaning of the interior, because of usage for hunting, sleeping with dogs etc. One axe to be replaces, some sealings and leaks. Clutch was in rather bad condition but I was quite unlucky here, because one day pedal went to the floor and I had to replace it earlier then expected. As a bonus, I trained how to drive without the clutch, actually quite predictable. Story behind: Tried to call for assistance, but serviceman stepped on my ambition: "if you'll have such issue in the middle of the nowhere, you have to drive, isn't it? Man, it is the Defender". So yes, I did it Cool In fact it was a failure of clutch release, but in this engine cannot be easy replaced without taking out the gearbox. Considering required work I decided to replace complete clutch and supporting elements, including flying wheel. Recently I replaced EGR Valve, although it was already replaced by previous owner, so should stay much longer. And currently struggling with EGR Cooler leaking (to be replaced). On the list is also fix/replacement of gear stick.
Car had an engine replaced after overheating at 57.000km, on warranty.

I'm using this car daily. The idea was to keep it as a second, 'fun' car, but main car disappeared unexpectedly and somehow didn't find its replacement yet. Well, turning radius is not in favour of parking manouvers, and overalll noise is far from any modern car, but other than that? Nice car to drive. Maybe one more disadvantage. While original version with roof rack is already almost 220cm high, the pop-top tent makes it closer to 240cm. That basically means no underground parking and standard garages.

I'm using it mostly in Norway, made already few longer summer and winter trips. Last summed I drove to Poland, testing Vmax on German highway (and top fuel consumption Laughing

In the past, in 2005/6 I was using duty one - 110, Td5, 1998, 9-seater. And from that time I planned to buy this car. Took some time... I already loved this case as a child, although rather from movies, dream car for adventures, desert, freedom...
Reality doesn't matter, I want to keep my boys dream alive Smile

Some photos below:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And in its natural environment, not a desert in case of Norway...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And some photos with tent opened and "brother" from France Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #890606 10th Mar 2021 10:10pm
Black Puma

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Sumatra Black
Great intro Jacek. Great Defender too.

Really enjoyed your story and, the photos.

If it makes you feel a little better, my clutch had to be replaced at my own expense, just 3 days past the warranty. It was the most expensive thing I had to do on the truck so far. Theses things happen.

Sounds like you had a lot of major issues fixed, so now you can enjoy Thumbs Up
Post #890616 10th Mar 2021 10:39pm
BrunoJ

Thanks.
And sorry for the clutch, that's a bad luck really.
In my case I did expect it, but hoped it will die slowly and I'll manage to explore it till last millimeter.
Unfortunately gearbox doesn't support well slow driving in the city. Doesn't really make sense to change into low gears (although I'm using it sometimes), while regular gears, especially 2nd, requires quite often using the half-clutch to avoid 'shaking'. It most probably kills the clutch faster, unfortunately.
Post #890620 10th Mar 2021 11:14pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Very interesting story Jacek. That’s a lovely 110 you have there. Please let us know how your camping modifications project progresses Thumbs Up
Post #890635 11th Mar 2021 7:18am
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Interested thread BrunoJ & quite a unique camper, thanks for sharing.

I used to travel to Norway with my work & never saw many Defender's but absolutely loved the country & the Norwegians...welcome to the forum.

Still have Akevitt flashbacks!!!! Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #890641 11th Mar 2021 8:37am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Very interesting. Other than the badging, what other Blaser elements are there?
Post #890644 11th Mar 2021 8:43am
BrunoJ

Thank you all.

@FatCog - Actually you can see quite a lot Defenders around. Also in the city, and definitely in villages around. There are also some really nice pieces from 50-60, well restored. Dealer keeps one of them , used during one of older J.Bond's movies.

@Co1 - I saw already other owners of this version on the forum, from Switzerland if recall correctly.
The additional Blaser-related element is a weapon box in the boot, also leader seats with logo. Others are rather generic LR options - aircon, electrics, roof rack, alufelgs and so on. However, there were originally fitted into this version by default. This version has also extra front lamps from Bosch and winch, which are, I believe, accessories option for German market. Not sure towbar was already there or added in Norway (which is very common here).
Post #890693 11th Mar 2021 10:17am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Thanks Bruno. I don’t recall ever seeing a Blaser edition in the UK, but their rifles have long since represented great quality so was interested to see what they carried over.
Post #890804 11th Mar 2021 7:00pm
BrunoJ

If I'm not mistaken, this version was released for Germany and Switzerland only. 60 pieces each. Announced as a hunter's edition. Potentially available in some other countries, if local dealer import them directly, like my one in Norway.
Post #890808 11th Mar 2021 7:14pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Welcome to D2N Thumbs Up What a great Defender, lovely photos.

My 110 had 3 clutches before 30k, but been fine since.

Wheel spacers or et0 rims, with properly adjusted steering stop make a huge difference to turning circle. Soundproofing also helps. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #890813 11th Mar 2021 7:35pm
L110CDL

England 
Welcome and a great opening to your thread with your nice 110 Jacek Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #890843 11th Mar 2021 9:26pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Hi Jaeck,
welcome to the forum and lovely ro see another pop top here! there are a growing band of us now !

Not sure what make your pop top is as its not one I have seen before, but it would be good to see some inside photos some time !

For inspiration on internal fittings you can look at some of our builds as posted on here as we all have our own particular needs and preferences - but just yet if you want any help or advice

Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #890890 12th Mar 2021 8:57am
BrunoJ

Thanks, I'll definitely check around how others made their camper setup.
I was on the forum for a while a year ago, around the time I was buying him.

The "Made" is German company called LandyCampy, which seems to do not exist any more.
It looks identical like the one from Austrian Hesch, which you can check here:
https://www.offroad-hesch.at/produkt-kateg...ender-110/
They, btw, offer also nice selection of camper furniture, if not to buy (rather expensive?) then at least to provide some idea how they can looks like. I like especially the setup for 5-seater, with can be converted into second sleeping level and definitely want to go into this direction.

In details, especially the way how it was setup, there are small differences - I don't have ladder installed any more and I missed the water/rain protection bars (however it should be properly called) - original ones moved with the roof up, and Hesch is adding extra elements just above the doors, which I don't have. Which from time to time causes me an unexpected shower, when entering/leaving the car Wink This is something I also want to fix, looks like kind of DYI work.

I'll try to make fresh photos at nearest time with interior including tent. I should also have some photos from the work related to exchange the dashboard the radio, then I can share also some conclusions, as I'm not fully satified from final effects.
Post #890953 12th Mar 2021 1:54pm
vladanco

Latvia 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Blaser Edition Defender
Good morning,
Great story! I am also the owner of Blaser Edition Defender. Just bought it few months ago. Definitely, one of the greatest
purchases in my life. Really love this car...I have huge plans on upgrading it...flip-roof in my list too Thumbs Up
Is it worth it? Flip-roof. How it's in practice?
Oh, and one more question. Maybe you know...is it possible, to know somehow, the exact number of Blaser Edition Defender?
I mean, it says "one of 60"...but which one of those 60? Maybe there is a number somewhere?
Very interesting to know Wink
Post #914565 29th Jul 2021 7:45am
BrunoJ

Hi, Thanks for your reply and nice to know another happy owner.

Answering (best of my knowledge) starting from the bottom. I don't think so there is any specific nr of "one of sixty". Or at least I'm not aware of. Nothing visible, but who knows, maybe it is hidden somewhere...

About the pop-top roof. It is very convenient for usage, 10 seconds to open and maybe 60 to close. Enough space for 2 PAX (potentially 3 is you squeeze). Staying firm on stong wind and Norwegian rain. All depends how often it will be used and overall usage of the car. Personally I would probably prefer box tent of the roof, which I could dismount for daily usage in the city. It will allow me to use some garages at least, plus avoid some noise. From other hands, I would be probably to lasy to dismount box tent everytime, so it will stay on the roof anyway (I know few people who use it and they keep it most of the time attached to the car). So, from that perspective, it is better to have it built-in.
Additional benefit - I'm using it from time to time to carry some stuff, including Ikea furniture boxes. Really nice extra space, just keep in mind to do not overload it with the weight.
Some practical issues to be check with specific implementation - rain/water rails in case original roof is moving higher, how much space for heads for passengers in second row left, what about internal lighting. In short words - don't make it cheap. Consider also external marquize (awning) as it is probably worth to build it at the same time.

I bought it already with pop-top roof tent, so didn't have any choise of the implementation. I believe it is worth to review various offers and you can see various solutions wich differs a lot - way how they are attached, opening and spring mechanism, but internal finishing. I recently visitied 4land.pl company in Poland, Gdynia city (information rather than recommendation, although garrage looks impressing). In their tent implementation the slepping floor is moving up some cm when tent is closed, giving more space above heads, which is one of the issue in my case. From other hands, their tent looks very bulky, some could like it, as it gives kind of "adventure" look. In my case, most of the people who are not familiar with details, they even don't recognize there is any tent overthere, it is so well integrated and I like that.

There is caravan/camping section on this forum and you can see various implementation, which could give you some inspiration about tent and camper setup. I'm still not sure I want to convert my one into camper. In theory furniture are removable, but I'm sure it will not be practical and they will stay permanently in the car. Which means I'll drive with all stuff everyday, making even more noise Wink

And .. check the rust, factory protection is weak, it is worth to maintain it well from the begin, otherwise that can create the cost in the future.
Post #914573 29th Jul 2021 8:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>