↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Series Land Rovers > fuel lift pump
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
fuel lift pump
hello all i have a series 2 1959 s w b with a two and a quater diesel its stood for a while and wont start i suspected the lift pump has no fuel was in the bowel ( think it could have been wrong pump has non have a bowel that i can find ) so i put a new one on still no fuel the tank has fuel but nothing is get to the pump by hand or cranking over. could the fuel line be blocked the flow and return pickups was partly blocked .
i intend to sell the car but would prefer to sell it running . ive had heart surgery so it pulls on my chest to much
any advice would be apricated
in advance i thank you
Post #1010021 4th Oct 2023 2:08pm
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
Hi andydef90, the fuel pick up hose can block, I think it should have a gauze on it in the tank but more often than not these have long gone, how long since it last ran ? Could the fuel in the tank be jellified ( is that a word Embarassed ) I’ve only had 1 diesel series 2 all my others were petrol, I wonder if it is possible to fill the glass bowl with fresh diesel so as to run the engine, failing that have a temporary fuel can feeding straight into the fuel pump so at least the prospective purchaser will see and hear it run and know that it is just a fuel starvation issue from the tank to the fuel pump, I’m sure you will get more replies from people who are more educated on diesel series however if not can I suggest if your not on the series 2 forum that you ask on there, just like here they are a very friendly bunch and will happily give advice, good luck and I hope you get the land rover sorted and more importantly you’re recovery is swift Thumbs Up cheers Paul
Post #1010096 5th Oct 2023 7:21am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Notoriously difficult to prime I am afraid.

So just to clarify, there is a new lift pump, no fuel is being drawn up into the sediment bowl or fuel filter. So you haven't even got to bleeding the injector pump or cracking the injectors open then.

Have you checked the fuel sediments seal and the fuel filters seal? No seal no diesel.

After that I am afraid the line and/or pickup could be blocked, as you say. If you undo the pipe can you attach an air pump to it and back blow the line, see if it gurgles in the tank?

If you do not have a foot pump then a priming bulb would do the trick - Something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314362570939?va...cEQAvD_BwE
Post #1010098 5th Oct 2023 8:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1