↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Can +2” Shocks be used with std height springs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Avelingporter

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Can +2” Shocks be used with std height springs?
The question is as the title. Can you use +2” shocks with standard height springs?
I have been offered a nearly new set of quality +2” shocks. I don’t want to raise my 90 HT, but stay on std height springs. Are the 2 compatible? Are there any downsides or anything untoward to look out for?
Post #887381 23rd Feb 2021 11:14pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I wouldn't have thought so. Unless you've got particularly stiff springs, on full compression the shocks will bottom out and likely break something off. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #887397 24th Feb 2021 7:22am
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Depends on the stroke length of the shock as they vary so much between brands. You can fit and measure to see if shock is being compressed too much on full compression of axle. Basically if the shock stops before you hit the bump stops - you won’t want to fit as they’ll soon become damaged and fail.

If yes, and you still want to fit them, then you can go for +2 shock mounts front and rear.
Post #887402 24th Feb 2021 7:40am
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
Depends on the whole set up and not just the shock, I used to run a Gwyn Lewis challenge suspension kit with +5 old man emu shocks and didn’t have any issues, even when at full articulation. Gwyn also runs standard height on one of his own defenders. This does include the +2” turrets on the front and pin to pin shock mounts on the rear and extended bump stops

Click image to enlarge
Post #887410 24th Feb 2021 8:57am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Yes you can as long as they either don't bottom out or you don't drive so they bottom out!

Steve's points above says it all ref bump stops +2

Don't t forget springs could dislocate if off road with longer shocks.

All depends on shock really Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #887424 24th Feb 2021 9:44am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Does anyone know the "standard bump stop" minimum shock length eye to pin, and pin to pin for front and rear?

I've also got a set of +2" shocks, and am attempting to work this out before I find it out with the vehicle immobilised for a while.....!

Collapsed length of the shocks I have seems to be 14.3". I'm hoping the lengths of the "bottomed out axle" are longer than that.
Post #888657 2nd Mar 2021 5:56pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Looking on fox's website, the standard Fox 2 Pro shocks are as follows;

Ext length Col length Travel

985-24-079(R) 21.13" 13.25" 7.88"

985-24-078(F) 21.65" 13.05" 8.60"

Fox Pro 2" lift shocks are as follows

985-24-144(R). 24.03" 14.95" 9.08"

985-24-143(F) 23.88" 14.30" 9.58"

For the fronts, the collapsed length is 1.25" ( 32mm ) higher than standard and the rear is 1.7" (44.5mm) higher. Based on this, an extension of the bump stops by those amounts or, to be safe, an amount beyond those, will stop the shock being compressed beyond it's limit.

That’s what I worked out, but I’m no suspension guru!
Post #889179 5th Mar 2021 9:37am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Guru enough for me Paul lol.

For my setup I think I'm now concluded on needing +2" height turrets on the front but no other changes as a result of those measurements.

Rears I'm headed towards ARB droppers, dislocation cones, spring retainers and some +25mm bump stops, though theres a chance I won't need the cones and retainers if the springs I pick out are long enough, but fairly slim chance.

The whole thing front and rear can sit on some +1" ish springs and make it level up. Should be ok then.

Wasn't quite my intention to ever go this far but the remote Res shocks are so pretty........ Rolling with laughter
Post #889526 6th Mar 2021 9:15pm
Badger110

After chatting with you, I went and bought a set too Laughing

Still not decided on how to set it up just yet, larger bump stops will stop the bottoming out effect, but I like the idea of extended front turrets as that allows the shock to be sat at it's true length and not with a constant decompression state at all times if that makes sense?

Extend the rear mounts too though? I've not found a system to accommodate this as with the OS it sits very close to the fuel filter and fuel pipes to the tank, but nothing stopping getting a bracket made....but then you need to remember that shocks don't travel on a linear basis which throws up some more thoughts.

Dislocation cones are a given, however the figures aren't that huge in difference of travel...they're under 2" according to the figures for both their shocks and would this create a problem at full articulation?

Travel difference for the front is 1.2" and the rear is just under an 1"...as long as you stop the springs compressing the shock beyond it's travel limits and damaging it, is there really an issue at the other end of the scale with such small differences in travel?
Post #889541 6th Mar 2021 10:12pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Awesome! Great aren't they?!

For the fronts... The shock body is (I lined them up next to the other ones I have) 40mm longer than a "standard height" fox shock. Thus if you go for 40mm minimum higher turrets, you're back to a standard compressed shock length again. Gwyn Lewis does +2" turrets so 50.8mm, so you'd effectively have a 10mm shorter body length of the shock. Ideal. Perfectly safe.

If you do that, from laying them side by side, and assuming we fit Gwyn +2" turrets, the shock will then droop approx 30mm further than the standard height fox. If we therefore have a spring whose free height is approx 30mm longer than land rover fitted as standard.... All good. So that's my next challenge. Figure out front spring length I have and what I want so it's min 30mm free length longer than standard. Then that's all that's needed at the front.

Rear.... Same issue as you say. But I can't see how you could raise the shock higher as it'd hit the body. I was thinking that was why manufacturers only do -2" (droop increase) rear shock mounts. As +2" doesn't look like it fits to me.

Side by side with the standard height again....

The body is 40mm longer. That's gotta be taken up in a longer bump stop. But I can't find a +40mm bump stop. Only +25mm. I assume that's enough because of the angle of the shock. +25mm bump stop covers you for 40mm shock length ish because of the 30 ish degree shock angle.

Side by side the droop is then 70mm longer than standard fox (different to front as none taken up in the turret change). So realistically... 70mm longer spring unlikely. So it's then dislocation cones, spring retainers to add to the bump stops.

Final thing is the rear roll bar. I can't tell, but with 70mm extra droop the consensus seems to be the bar needs spacing down. So I think we need roll bar downward spacers too.

These were the pictures I drew.... Currently missing standard shock measurements which would complete the picture. I've only checked Vs fox standard height.

Sorry rubbish quality... The drawings assume the shock eyes are lined up.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #889550 6th Mar 2021 11:10pm
Avelingporter

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
As you may have guessed I also saw those +2” Fox shox for sale. Really really good price. As I have some new Alive comfort springs to go on I thought yippee! But I asked Prolinx and Gwynn Lewis and it seems as you guys have discussed a major redesign to get them on at standard height. So simple solution is new +2” springs. But as that is not what I want I’ve passed on these and will go std height fox. No remote res though.... Sad

By the way I think these sexy Fox remote res shox come under the term Farkles. It’s something I recently came across on a motorbike forum.

Farkle (n): A modification to a motorcycle that satisfies the following criteria: creates “bling,” serves a purpose (the usefulness of which is in the eyes of the farkler) and is most likely expensive. Often used among touring riders to denote or convey status amongst their peers. Ex: “I picked up a new farkle for my ST today: a GPS-based burger joint locator!” (v): To farkle; to accessorize one’s motorcycle with farkles. Ex: “Boy, John really farkled out his K1300GT; it’s even got a cup holder!”

Do you see the parallel with us Landy chaps,,,, Whistle
Post #889577 7th Mar 2021 7:03am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter

Good term. I think it fits the bill nicely. Thumbs Up

You'd be ok at the front with them with only changing the turret.

But at the rear with -1 springs, by the time you've fitted longer bump stops to cope with the extra shock body length you'll have very little upward travel left for actual suspension action.

So I'm with you, at -1" height this isn't a great plan sadly.
Post #889582 7th Mar 2021 9:02am
Badger110

I've heard of Farkles before or poser as it was known long ago Rolling with laughter

Then again my truck is bright green so I guess I can't go with the excuse I'm not in it to be discreet Laughing
Post #889654 7th Mar 2021 3:34pm
Badger110

Matt110 wrote:
Awesome! Great aren't they?!

For the fronts... The shock body is (I lined them up next to the other ones I have) 40mm longer than a "standard height" fox shock. Thus if you go for 40mm minimum higher turrets, you're back to a standard compressed shock length again. Gwyn Lewis does +2" turrets so 50.8mm, so you'd effectively have a 10mm shorter body length of the shock. Ideal. Perfectly safe.

If you do that, from laying them side by side, and assuming we fit Gwyn +2" turrets, the shock will then droop approx 30mm further than the standard height fox. If we therefore have a spring whose free height is approx 30mm longer than land rover fitted as standard.... All good. So that's my next challenge. Figure out front spring length I have and what I want so it's min 30mm free length longer than standard. Then that's all that's needed at the front.

Rear.... Same issue as you say. But I can't see how you could raise the shock higher as it'd hit the body. I was thinking that was why manufacturers only do -2" (droop increase) rear shock mounts. As +2" doesn't look like it fits to me.

Side by side with the standard height again....

The body is 40mm longer. That's gotta be taken up in a longer bump stop. But I can't find a +40mm bump stop. Only +25mm. I assume that's enough because of the angle of the shock. +25mm bump stop covers you for 40mm shock length ish because of the 30 ish degree shock angle.

Side by side the droop is then 70mm longer than standard fox (different to front as none taken up in the turret change). So realistically... 70mm longer spring unlikely. So it's then dislocation cones, spring retainers to add to the bump stops.

Final thing is the rear roll bar. I can't tell, but with 70mm extra droop the consensus seems to be the bar needs spacing down. So I think we need roll bar downward spacers too.

These were the pictures I drew.... Currently missing standard shock measurements which would complete the picture. I've only checked Vs fox standard height.

Sorry rubbish quality... The drawings assume the shock eyes are lined up.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I'm getting my head round this.... Laughing
Post #889655 7th Mar 2021 3:35pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Yeah sorry not the best worded post in the world lol Rolling with laughter

Tell you what though, i'm seriously tired of postage costs on stuff. I've just tried to order 4 x shock boots from Prolinx.

Nigh on £12!!!!!!!

Come on guys this stuff fits in a padded envelope and it doesn't need to arrive tomorrow morning via some form of premium fedex service.

It's put me off purchasing. I'll get over it and do it anyway at some point as you can't buy them cheaper elsewhere, just a small rant!! Neutral

Post #890221 9th Mar 2021 5:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>