↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > My Nakatanenga wheel carrier fitting experience
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Shiftingsideways

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
My Nakatanenga wheel carrier fitting experience
Bought this a few months ago but hadn’t got around to fitting it, recently finding that the rear door had dropped a tiny bit made the decision for me. I would classify myself as inexperienced but willing to have a go at something like this where its relatively clear what the finished article should look like and how it should function.

So here are my observations:-

• Packaging was excellent, very thorough.
• ‘Instructions’ leave a lot to be desired but contain the information you need however the photos should be updated to match the current hardware and fixings.
• I sorted all the fixings out on a bit of cardboard and marked them all up so they matched the photo.
• Even though I sorted out the fixings I still managed to reuse the existing door nuts rather than the supplied lock nuts.
• Anti-seize is used liberally, its messy and gets everywhere so gloves are necessary.
• Other than the photos it’s not entirely clear what the larger washers are to be used with.
• Removing the door card is easy as it is a case of getting behind an edge and then moving around the outside easing off the attachments but remember there is one in the middle that requires pulling the card down to release it. You should be able to pull the top of the card far enough away to look down on top of it to see how it releases.
• I removed the mud flap and bracket and this helped a great deal.
• The body panel above the cross member, on mine, extended down a few mm so when I offered up the plate and tightened a couple of bolts either side it flattened out of the way, no problems.
• Its common sense but make sure all the nut/washer/bolts all fit before tightening.
• A couple of the bolts in the middle, M10x35 I think, are difficult to get access to the back, especially if you have big hands, I don’t but still dropped a nut which ended up in the cross member never to be seen again. In the end I briefed the Mrs on what was needed and she got it on the back.
• It gives you a chance to see the condition of the rear side of your cross member.
• Once the swing arm was attached I assembled the linkage to the back door plate and adjusted it by sight so the swing arm looked parallel, and then adjusted the rubber bungs so they were under pressure , I made sure it all felt rock solid before putting the wheel on.
• The rubber padded supporting arm at the bottom was adjusted to touch the underside of the swing arm without the wheel on, this meant that when the wheel was fitted the arm is lifted slightly when the door is closed as per this excellent thread which helped me https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39897...ga+carrier
• I still have the spare wheel lock and protector to fit and I need to revisit the door plate lock nuts.
• Once the spare wheel lock plate is fitted I plan to put the wheel on and run it for a week or so observing its behaviour, then I will make any further adjustments and check the tightness of everything periodically.

The wheel carrier and spare wheel lock were both supplied by 4x4overlander.com who provided an excellent service and are available for fitting advice if needed.

I looked at many options many times but came back to this one and am happy with my decision however it is very expensive but I believe it to be worth it for its engineering and relative ease of fit.

Thanks

Andrew
Post #788831 27th Aug 2019 12:33pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Yes ,Andrew
I have had the same one for a few years and it is brilliant. No signs of wear or corrosion or anything.
Best choice and probably cheaper in the long run.
Thumbs Up 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #788844 27th Aug 2019 2:02pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
You wont find a better company than 4x4 overlander to deal with Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #788916 27th Aug 2019 6:36pm
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I thought i’d come and revive this thread!

Fitted mine yesterday, seems like a great bit of kit. The only question I have is how much pressure should the tyre have on the arm and how much pressure should the little rubber bump stops have on the door plate. I’ve gone on the side of caution with both and done them so they’re only touching firmly but not compressing. Was a bit of a faff to get the wheel the right distance away, every time you do up the wheel nuts it reveals itself being too far or too close to the carrier

What has everyone else done?
Post #888589 2nd Mar 2021 10:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1