↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Best second battery option
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
stng110

Australia 
Best second battery option

I think this seems the simplest option for a second battery I’ve seen to date. I’m assuming it charges from the 12V output in the boot when driving. Looks much simpler than the hard wired options I’ve seen that connect to the primary battery using a management system.

But I’m a newbie to this. What do those with more experience think?
Post #916028 8th Aug 2021 12:06pm
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 
Looks good but it charges from the optional 230v 180W outlet. Though in his descrition he writes that 12 V outlet goes too.
I don't think his powerbank charges fully with this option.
You do always loose power when converting current. 22MY Defender 110 (actual) | 10MY Freelander 2 (history) | 15MY Discovery Sport HSE (history)
Post #916060 8th Aug 2021 2:39pm
GreenMonster

United States 
I don’t get the need for a built in second battery when there are such good options for portables now. I guess you save some space with a built in, but a portable can be used anywhere, and can be updated anytime. Seems to make a lot more sense and certainly less complicated.
Post #918796 26th Aug 2021 3:46pm
leeloo

Luxembourg 
most portables charge very slow. That is the main issue.
For example, even if the plug in defender can supply 180W, most will draw around 50 W. That means a relativly small unit will take 5-6 hours of driving to charge.
If you charge them with solar, does not get better. but there is not a big issue, sun is up 10 12 hours, it is fine..
What is worse, on very fine print, on most of them. they say they do not advise charging while having a load on them. That means that you might have issues in the future.. and they are not cheap. So you can't keep your fridge or what ever hooked up while they are charging, or you risk to damage the device.
A 50 amp lifepo4 now you can find for about 300 euro . For another 150 euro you can get a victron 12 v 18 A dc to dc
So the price difference is not so much.
A lifepo4 will draw as much as you can supply. MIne, a 50 Ah charges via a redarc dc-dc from 50 % to 95 % in like 20 min of driving.. Defender P300 on order
Post #918799 26th Aug 2021 4:00pm
GreenMonster

United States 
I find that pricing a bit optimistic for all the parts, but even if I could get them all at those prices, I’d just rather not deal with install, and want something I can use outside the vehicle. Charging time isn’t that big a concern since I would start the trip with it topped up from home a/c.

Do you know of any that can charge and discharge at the same time without damage?
Post #918811 26th Aug 2021 5:26pm
leeloo

Luxembourg 
the more expensive ones are ok, like a yeti goal zero for example.Jakery it can do that as well, at least the bigger ones like 500. You really need to ask the producer is if it is not clearly specified.
I was just looking at the Jackery 500w - 24Ah . pretty big thing and about 50 % of what I have in capacity..
Wiring is easy in the new defend since the main battery is inside the cab, and short distance. Not a lot of trim to take apart.
As soon mine is delivered, hopefully next week, it will be probably one of the first jobs I will do. I hope my small lifepo4 will fit under the trunk lid. I will try to document it and post it here.
Prices I listed are from taken from amazon, in Europe, in euro.. most likely in the US many things are cheaper.
My DC to DC is more expensive, but I had it for many years now, this will be the third vehicle it is in.. Smile , and hopefully the last..
It is for sure overkill for the battery size I have, and designed to survive in the engine bay, and that is not a feature you need in an in cab installation, this is why I think you can get away with it at a reasonable price.
If I would buy one now, a victron 12v 18 A dc to dc would be my choice.. for an in cab installation I don't think you can beat the price/quality ratio. Defender P300 on order
Post #918840 26th Aug 2021 9:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1