↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Defender 2.2 clutch/box knocking (Video Sound)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
keith

Scotland 
Great writeup wolf. Thumbs Up
Post #943846 25th Feb 2022 9:21pm
The Anti Christ

Jamaica 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
So Ive had the 2.4 at the dealer for the rear oil seal change. Have decided to change the rattly clutch and slave cylinder which showed some signs of wear. Am being told that they have to refill the transfer box with oil which I am a bit suprised about. Does the removal of the transmission require the emptying of the transfer box? Just fix it before your friends find out it broke again - Landy Life Forever!
Post #944924 7th Mar 2022 2:05pm
Angus_Beef

Norway 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Removing the transfer case from the transmission does indeed require draining it. As the TC and the Trans are about 60kg each, removing them separately is a bit easier than trying to remove them together as one large unbalanced unit. Roaming around 🇳🇴🇨🇭
Post #944932 7th Mar 2022 2:34pm
The Anti Christ

So, completed work after only a week spent at the local LR dealership; Rear Oil Seal, Clutch Kit and Slave Unit + Transfer box oil

Rattle gone!... for the first time, even since new!

Also noticed that the clutch is a little softer and there seems to be less backlash.

Lets hope the "upgraded" clutch assembly remains quiet.

Set me back GBP 1,209.72 parts and labour, but worth it to get rid of the oil leak and rattling.

Interestingly the clutch was only about 60% worn, but since we were already in there.... Just fix it before your friends find out it broke again - Landy Life Forever!
Post #945211 9th Mar 2022 8:49pm
itsdashy

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 PU Orkney Grey
Oh dear. I've just spent the same for the same service and added output shaft, but it looks like I have gained your rattle. I'd best live with it for now I suppose.
Post #965133 15th Sep 2022 2:05pm
The Anti Christ

Thud
If it was done by the stealers I'd suggest taking back immediately. Newer LR clutch assemblies shouldn't rattle, especially that new.

Six month after my job and no recurrences *knock on wood*.

A new clutch rattle is a helluva' thing to have to live with after such an extensive service.... it'll probably be a good few years before you have to replace again.... Just fix it before your friends find out it broke again - Landy Life Forever!
Post #965233 16th Sep 2022 2:31pm
Jonothethird

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I think some can rattled pretty quickly! My 49k miles Puma 2.4 clutch rattles sometimes when cold. The previous owner said it had always done it and after 2 years of my ownership, I haven’t found it get any worse.

I have stopped worrying about it now!!
Post #965258 16th Sep 2022 8:30pm
The Anti Christ

Seems like an issue that affected PUMA's that came of the line. My '09 developed a rattle pretty early on that I got changed under warranty in 2013. Got it back with the same rattle and a toss off: "Thats just a Landrover noise... you'll have to live with it"

Made me wonder if anything really had been changed behind the walls of the top security facilities of my local LR stealership Confused

Anyway, lived with it for 9 years until changed earlier this year with a "revised" LR clutch assembly. See earlier in thread:
________________________________________________________________________________

Been having this issue since first acquired my 2009 PUMA 110 2.4 at 14,000km.

She's at 66,000+ km now and no drive-train issues. However may do a full clutch service while replacing a leaking rear crank seal, depending on the condition found when the tranny is dropped.

Was told by LR Dealership that it was just a "Land Rover noise" and not to worry about it while still under warranty.

The rattling hasn't gotten any worse or better over 9 years and there's been no noticeable problems with gear changes.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Quiet as a church mouse now....well....as quiet as PUMA's get anyway!!! * fingers crossed * Just fix it before your friends find out it broke again - Landy Life Forever!
Post #965262 16th Sep 2022 9:09pm
Defender-Lotti

Germany 
LOF or OEM clutch
Good morning, I just returned my 2012 TD4 back to the workshop after fitting a RoadSpec LOF clutch. After just a couple of kms we experienced exactly the same sound shown on the video at the beginning of the thread.
During idle and around 100-120km/h on the highway.

We removed everything and found the springs pretty loose in their seating, rattling and already a little bit worn on the contact faces.
I talked to LOF and they will send me a PowerSpec Disc for free replacement on warranty, which is nice after having this trouble at first.

My question is: Does anybody had any issues with this type of clutch (LOF Road/PowerSpec) - shall we try it or is it better to go back to OEM/Sachs-design? Replacement is a >1200€ job plus the clutch parts and I don't want to do it a third time Bow down

Thanks, Bastian

Click image to enlarge
Post #1020998 13th Jan 2024 9:56am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Some users added a patch into the ECU to increase the idle speed to get rid of the clutch noise. Though not convinced about it. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #1021013 13th Jan 2024 12:46pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I have my idle slightly higher and it helps with the clutch chatter but not completely, but mine is loads better now the LOF clutch has some some miles on it.

My idle is 100rpm over standard done due to the rattle when the LOF clutch was fitted (see earlier in this thread).

It is great for pulling away especially with the caravan, it helps the anti-stall no end and I get no transmission shunt, I would not go back to the standard lower idle speed. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #1021039 13th Jan 2024 4:52pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
This is very interesting and thanks esp to Blackwolf for the info. My 12 plate Puma has had the clutch rattle at idle for the last 12k miles since I acquired it with 30k miles. Whereas a previous 13 plate puma I had before at 60k miles never had the idle rattle. But who knows what has been replaced in the history of both vehicles..

However, my question - is it possible to manually adjust the idle speed by using the throttle cabling ? Years ago, this could be done easily on all sorts of cars esp with dynamos to increase the charge at idle, by simply adjusting a couple of nuts of the throttle cable. Rather like you can still do on petrol lawnmowers. Or does the puma have no throttle cable as I think it’s fly by wire or similar.
Post #1021216 14th Jan 2024 8:54pm
nidge n

Re: LOF or OEM clutch
Bastian, i replaced with the LOF Road spec. Rattled when first installed, sometimes also when cold, however it's settled down now. Noise is still there (slightly) but not invasive . Good luck with your choice
Post #1021711 18th Jan 2024 8:26pm
PWC1c

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Auto Santorini Black
Lof
Interesting my replacement LOF clutch road spec is noisy not a mechanic but sounds like a worn thrust bearing until you depress the clutch then it noise goes .
Post #1021782 19th Jan 2024 4:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12