↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > anyone sold a car through motorway.co.uk ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alastaid

United Kingdom 
anyone sold a car through motorway.co.uk ?
Hi, been through the process of selling a car through motorway, so far so good, got a price I was happy with in the auction, however, in all the blurb you get payment before the car leaves your driveway, but in my case the winning bidder is Pendragon who give you a signed PO when they take the car away and you get paid in 48 hours. While I realise Pendragon are a huge outfit, it still seems unwise to wave goodbye to a car with only a bit of paper in your hand, Overall the trustpilot reviews are good for motorway, and I can see from the business model how they beat WBAC prices, Just after some advice really, anyone else done this before? Anyone sold to Pendragon group before?

Thanks, Alastair
Post #898435 15th Apr 2021 2:23pm
SJM2018

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
I too would be pretty apprehensive about letting go of the vehicle without the cash in my bank account.

The whole time Pendragon remains solvent, I think you'd be fine as you'd have proof (paper / email trail + the PO) which you could use to compel them to pay up.

However, if something were to happen and Pendragon were to enter an insolvency process, then you'd be pretty stuffed unless the contracts include clauses to protect you like "title only transfers once payment made" or something.

I managed the insolvency of a car dealership a several years a go and a poor couple part exchanged their car just before the dealership went bust, but were still waiting on the new vehicle. Our legal advice at the time was that they weren't entitled to their part ex back and they had to lodge a claim in the insolvency (heartbreaking, but we couldn't just give it back to them given the quantum involved Sad ).

In the end the manufacturer sorted them out, but they were under no obligation to do so.

A pretty pessimistic view perhaps, but given my previous day job , I always see the worst in these scenarios.

I also always spend gift cards the second I receive them!!! 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #898443 15th Apr 2021 3:32pm
SJM2018

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
Just to add that this was 2015/16 and I no longer work in insolvency, so it could well have changed!! 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #898444 15th Apr 2021 3:33pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Have you asked them about using escrow?
Post #898446 15th Apr 2021 3:38pm
Chocolate

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I would want funds up front, Pendragon don’t have an account with you. So why should you give them credit, even 2 days worth.
The Motorway website even states payment up front as below.

8. Never accept cheques, bankers drafts or IOUs
Do not hand over your keys until you have been paid for your car. That goes for private buyers (who may try to pay by cheque, or promise to transfer the money later), and car dealers or car buyers.
Any reputable buyer will understand you need to be paid in advance before they own the car – either by BACS/ bank transfer, or cash on collection if selling privately. And if they cannot digitally confirm funds have been transferred, then they should always be able to give you evidence that the funds transfer has been completed, in the form of a receipt or digital transaction statement. Always ask for this if it’s not forthcoming.

I don’t believe a car buyer as large as Pendragon can’t pay up front. 110XS CSW TD5.
Post #898450 15th Apr 2021 3:55pm
Tim in Scotland

Who holds the registration document you or them? Not that is proof of ownership but did you receive the tear off bit or retain the whole document. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #898453 15th Apr 2021 4:17pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Similar business model to WBAC. They take ownership of your car and complete V5 transfer before payment which is 4 days, or 24 hours if you pay extra. Pretty scary stuff in today’s climate.
Post #898456 15th Apr 2021 4:50pm
alastaid

United Kingdom 
Thanks all for the comments, pretty much as I thought, so I have used WBAC a few times, and they have been good, and I sort of trust them that I get my money, the dilemma now is that the motorway price is over £2K more than the WBAC value. If there was an insurance product for say £100 that would protect my potential loss, it would make this a no-brainer.

Has anyone used escrow in this situation, is it workable?

Cheers

Alastair
Post #898485 15th Apr 2021 6:44pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I sold a (quite expensive) car to Evans Halshaw and it was the same deal. There were no problems, but I didn’t really give any thought to what would happen if they went bust before the money dropped into my account. Having read this I might think twice next time. I just sought of assumed the signed bit of paper saying they owed me the money was protection. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #898490 15th Apr 2021 7:05pm
alastaid

United Kingdom 
Thanks Bluest, this is a similar large amount of money, wish I had just done it without thinking about it, like you, glad it all worked out for you. I do think the whole deal is "genuine" ie 99 times our of a hundred it would be ok.

Thinking this over, I am probably being a bit irrational in that I am willing to accept exactly the same risk selling through WBAC just because I have done it before, rather than Pendragon (via motorway)
Post #898491 15th Apr 2021 7:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1