↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyres (all terrain recommendation)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
90GTR

2016 Defender 90 V8 Petrol Works V8 Auto Santorini Black
Tyres (all terrain recommendation)
Just wanted some advice / opinions on tyres.

Per my other ARB thread, it was suggested I replace tyres too. The defender in question currently has a set of Cooper STT mud terrain on, I actually really like them, but realized it maybe more appropriate for an all terrain tyre. Tonnes of tread left and no dramatic signs of perishing...

I'm waiting on my local supplier to get back to me on Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s (never driven on them - opinions welcome)?

As such thought I'd ask what would people recommend as an all terrain?

Its a shame as from a vanity perspective I like the look of the M/T, but cannot think of one which looks as good, but more focused on all terrain?

This defender runs 265/75/16 and will remain that way. It is used for towing and really lives as a spare car / bad weather usage.
Post #883417 5th Feb 2021 5:39pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
I’ve had cooper disco AT3s, Goodyear MTRs and BFG AT2. The BFG are by far the best combo of on and off-road performance. They have been as good and the MTRs in everything I have thrown at them off road, and as well behaved as the coopers on the road. When they wear out I’ll buy the same again.
Post #883443 5th Feb 2021 7:19pm
90GTR

Nice to hear and ideal as I do like them. I have however been reading the BFG perish (crack) quite quickly with time?

I think the coopers that are on there are approx 3-4 yrs old and not perishing at all.
Post #883449 5th Feb 2021 7:52pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I've had KO2'S on 3/4 years now and still love them, perform great on and off road and look great. Some say they're bad in wet but I've never had any concerns.

I've never heard of issues with cracking? James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #883459 5th Feb 2021 8:37pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
I think cracking will have a lot to do with where you live/park. UV exposure, moisture etc I would imagine. I’ve never had an issue on any tyre. My wheels are always in the shade when I’m parked which might have something to do with it. This is all just a wild guess!!
Post #883521 6th Feb 2021 9:09am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I should have said I've never heard of any issues with BFG cracking.

I had Insa Turbo Dakars on the red 110 when I bought it, these were badly cracking but looked like nearly 100% tread. I put this down to being remoulds?

I've read the general census is whilst BFG are more expensive than Coopers they will long out live them? James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #883536 6th Feb 2021 10:23am
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
JOW240725 wrote:
I've had KO2'S on 3/4 years now and still love them, perform great on and off road and look great. Some say they're bad in wet but I've never had any concerns.

I've never heard of issues with cracking?

About 10 years or so ago, lots of the BFG ATs fitted to Japanese market vehicles being imported at the time (1990s vintage Pajeros etc) were really bad for cracking between the tread. No idea why, never had the problem here except when the tyres are generally worn out and knackered anyway. Maybe old age - never knew how old they were. ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #883638 6th Feb 2021 8:05pm
kenzle8a

I’d love to try KO2s, I had KM2s then swapped to General Grabbler AT3s which are pretty impressive in the wet and mank we’ve been having, considering I’ve currently got a slightly ageing 2’ lift kit and no anti roll bars it will be interesting to see how much better they are when i refit the standard springs with bilsteins next week
Post #883639 6th Feb 2021 8:17pm
Outlaw1

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Have you considered Cooper st maxx ? Excellent tyre with good wear
Post #883642 6th Feb 2021 8:19pm
kenzle8a

Someone had said ST Maxx we’re getting harder to get hold of due to EU tyre rules
Post #883652 6th Feb 2021 8:38pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I really like my Goodyear wrangler duratrac 265/75 R16 Tyres. They are classed as a mud terrain, yet they are more like an All terrain in performance , just with a little more aggressive look. They are very well behaved in dry, wet and snow on the road. I do very little off-road driving but when I have they were good in mud, on gravel tracks and wet grass. Others may have better knowledge on their off road behaviour.

They have been on my puma 110 for 6 years covering approx 45k miles, with no sign of ageing / cracking etc. Wear wise they have used about 30% of usable tread so still many years to go as there is a lot of tread to start with.

You don’t hear much about them on here as an option but a fair amount of positive comments when you search the web.

I have noticed they are not as freely available in the uk, but some suppliers have them and they are reasonably priced.

If they still make them when I need replacement tyres I would go for them again if I stick to 265/75r16’s. However I may go for 255/85r16’s at that point and the druratrac is not available in that size.
Post #883659 6th Feb 2021 8:58pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
lord-haggis wrote:
I’d love to try KO2s, I had KM2s then swapped to General Grabbler AT3s which are pretty impressive in the wet and mank we’ve been having, considering I’ve currently got a slightly ageing 2’ lift kit and no anti roll bars it will be interesting to see how much better they are when i refit the standard springs with bilsteins next week

Having had General Grabber AT2's on various previous Land Rovers, I've now got GG AT3's on my 110 and they're superb. Very quiet (especially coming from Wrangler MTR's) and exceptionally grippy in the wet. They're also mountain/snowflake winter rated and were great in the snow a couple of weeks ago. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #883680 6th Feb 2021 11:49pm
Maverick XS

United Kingdom 
I have the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s 265/75/16 on my Puma 90. I can definitely recommend them if most of your driving is on the road. They are smooth, quiet and very good in the wet. They are still an all terrain tyre so the truck retains it's off road ability when required. I did try the BFG KO2's, like others here I'm not a fan. I found them skittish in the wet. They are also 5kg per tyre heavier which does not help the comfort, handling, or fuel economy! If you like the Cooper STT Mud Terrain I'm sure you will love the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s.
Post #883686 7th Feb 2021 12:14am
kenzle8a

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
lord-haggis wrote:

Having had General Grabber AT2's on various previous Land Rovers, I've now got GG AT3's on my 110 and they're superb. Very quiet (especially coming from Wrangler MTR's) and exceptionally grippy in the wet. They're also mountain/snowflake winter rated and were great in the snow a couple of weeks ago.

It was your thread that got me onto them, I've been very impressed with them given the farm truck isn't used off road that much (mostly between fields and farms) I've done about 600 miles with them thus far and through all the rain, sleet, snow, ice and slush we have had they have been amazing. The tracks down to some of our fields were sheet ice and they didn't come unstuck.

The weight is another nice factor, I took off Wolf Replicas with KM2's and they were 46kg a corner, the GG-AT3's on modulars are 32kg a corner.
Post #883707 7th Feb 2021 9:50am
90GTR

Thank you all for the replies, all helpful!

Yes I suppose the cracking issue will be largely due to conditions they've been exposed to. I had to replace two sets of Bridgestone semi slicks last year, which despite being as new tread, cracked horrifically due to the cars sitting outside in Japanese climate Big Cry . Probably why these Coopers haven't suffered in around their pampered life. Mr. Green

I actually had a set of wheels last summer with AT2 general grabbers on and really liked them. I can only imagine the AT3's will be very good indeed.

I will wait to hear back on the Coopers and go from there. But my goodness I took that Defender out today for an outing and as if it were written in the stars, I had people specifically commenting on the tyres Rolling with laughter I still really like them.... (from a vanity and performance perspective even if they're a bit old and hard now)
Post #883837 7th Feb 2021 7:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>