↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Pictures & Video > Defender half track - Laird Centaur half defender half tank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Defender half track - Laird Centaur half defender half tank
 I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #831211 15th May 2020 11:54am
fatboyron

United Kingdom 
That's awesome
Post #831218 15th May 2020 12:29pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
It's an interesting vehicle and was based on the Stage 1 V8. I didn't realise they built one based on a 110 though. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #831220 15th May 2020 12:40pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
I can see an overlander in the making once you ditched the tracks.

The bed area was huge!
Post #831271 15th May 2020 6:09pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Would like to have seen more on the engineering and how it was all put together...

For those interested in this type of thing I got a Corona virus care package from the Tank Museum shop recently:

Click image to enlarge

all this for just over £40, which I thought was excellent value and helps support them when there's no money coming in the front door.

Definitely worth taking a look and seeing what floats your boat:

https://tankmuseumshop.org/
Post #831330 16th May 2020 6:26am
nicam

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Interesting vehicle - I wonder how they got the drive ratio front to back correct?
It looks as though the rear sprocket diameters are a lot smaller than the front tyre diameter so will need to run much faster.
Presumably it must have a suitable ratio diff on the front end of the track unit as the front and rear prop shaft speeds will be the same.
Also, it sounds like the ultimate understeer vehicle from his description Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!
Post #833855 28th May 2020 12:11pm
Supacat

Odd bit of film:

Post #881355 27th Jan 2021 5:41pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
nicam wrote:
Interesting vehicle - I wonder how they got the drive ratio front to back correct?
It looks as though the rear sprocket diameters are a lot smaller than the front tyre diameter so will need to run much faster.
Presumably it must have a suitable ratio diff on the front end of the track unit as the front and rear prop shaft speeds will be the same.
Also, it sounds like the ultimate understeer vehicle from his description

I was wondering about the steering too. Does it use differential track speeds as well, or just rely on the front wheels alone? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #881377 27th Jan 2021 7:02pm
LandRoverAnorak

The Centaur (and most other half tracks) are just steered by the front wheels. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #881467 27th Jan 2021 10:05pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
nicam wrote:
Also, it sounds like the ultimate understeer vehicle from his description

The question on diff ratios got me thinking and with lock down there is plenty of time for this!!!
So here we go with some complete speculation Very Happy

According to this video, it used a Jag diff and another webpage I found said it had inboard discs at the rear which I suspect means it used a Jag rear axle unit.

There were a wide range of diff ratios available for the Jag rear axle.

I can't find any info on the diameter of a standard CVR T drive sprocket. But if it had standard 7.50 x 16 front tyres, they have a rolling circumference of 99.9" according to google.

If I've got the maths right, and they put a standard 4.7:1 LR diff in the front, then for every turn on the prop, the vehicle would move by 21.1"

If they used the lowest ratio jag diff at 2.88:1 for the rear, then I think the sprocket would need to have a circumference of 60.8" to generate the same 21.1" of travel. That gives a diameter for the sprocket of 19.4". Hard to tell from the photos what size the sprocket is but I don't think it is as big as 19.4"

If they used a standard series box in the early versions then they would most likely run in rear drive only on good ground, so a slight difference in prop speeds wouldn't be an issue until they engaged 4wd. With the later Range Rover box, I guess the centre diff would cope with a small variation in prop speed and it would only become an issue when they locked the centre diff.

As money was often not an issue on these projects, they could have had a custom rear diff made with a suitable ratio to match the CVR T sprocket size to the 7.50 x 16 front tyre size, running any of the standard LR diff ratios up front.

Does anyone know more about the transmission set up? With a Jag rear end, they could even have incorporated a limited slip diff as I believe some Jags had these.
Post #881515 28th Jan 2021 9:52am
LandRoverAnorak

All except one of the prototypes were based on the Stage 1 V8 and used its permanent four wheel drive transmission with vacuum operated centre diff lock. The exception used a 110 front end but the transmission was the same.

I'm not sure about the diff ratio but you're right about the disc brakes. Here's a picture of the complete unit:

Click image to enlarge

I found the picture here https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/laird-centaur/ and the article does actually say that the brakes were to assist with steering, which is a surprise. I've no idea how, or even if, they're linked to the front wheel steering though Confused Darren

Post #881524 28th Jan 2021 10:48am
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
They will be independent of each other and (poss) separate to the steering.

This will allow one of the tracks (the inside one) to be braked to slew the thing similar to a tank. Rgds.

Chris
Post #881529 28th Jan 2021 11:19am
Supacat

Post #881533 28th Jan 2021 11:53am
LandRoverAnorak

Pacha wrote:
They will be independent of each other and (poss) separate to the steering.

This will allow one of the tracks (the inside one) to be braked to slew the thing similar to a tank.

Yeah, I know how they work but can't see how they're operated. As far as I can see, there are no additional controls in the cab so they must be linked somehow to the standard LR steering. Darren

Post #881536 28th Jan 2021 12:25pm
jim4244

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Supacat wrote:
Would like to have seen more on the engineering and how it was all put together...

For those interested in this type of thing I got a Corona virus care package from the Tank Museum shop recently:

Click image to enlarge

all this for just over £40, which I thought was excellent value and helps support them when there's no money coming in the front door.

Definitely worth taking a look and seeing what floats your boat:

https://tankmuseumshop.org/

One of my yearly favourite day out Supacat! Just a shame that Tank Fest was cancelled last year and will probably be cancelled this year too....

I’m fairly close to IWM Duxford which is good but there are barriers everywhere along with “Do no touch” signs. Still a good day out but the Tank Museum wins by a head and shoulders!

Jim
Post #881538 28th Jan 2021 12:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>