↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Creamy white paste under carpets and aluminium corrosion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
BobBob

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Stornoway Grey
Creamy white paste under carpets and aluminium corrosion
Hi hope you can help!

I've had a look round this site and others, but can't seem to find anyone else with this problem.

I was putting sound deadening in the rear tub of my Puma 110 USW, when I noticed a lot of white paste on the wheel arches under the carpet, just cleared it away, but there is a hole where the 3rd row seat fixings would be (none fitted) this hole is in paint thick skin that cracked off, exposing more white stuff. I haven't drilled it all out yet to find extent of the aluminium corrosion, but
I'm really curious as to what is the white paste stuff? Is large amounts of aluminium oxide with the right amount of water? or some sort of grease used to try and separate the steel from the body ?

I'm going to prod around and find more holes, but how far do I go, can of worms??? I guess I can patch it all with chemical metal and then put the deadening over - but is there a long term problem hiding here?

Many thanks in advance

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #882926 3rd Feb 2021 2:29pm
Will@LRW

1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
My rear tub is pretty much all white paste (1997). It is the aluminium corroding. Under that place where it's happening (I believe) is a steel strengthening plate in the wheel arch, so electrolytic corrosion is occurring.

Sealing it over from underneath might help, or squirting in ACF50, or it might hold in moisture and make it worse. You could try and cut it out, but you'll be chasing it forever without a new rear tub. Welcome to Defenders! A never-ending facepalm from one winter to the next. The only long term solution is to not drive it in the winter Whistle Laughing LR Workshop
Find a Defender's history and spec: https://defender.lrworkshop.com
Post #882936 3rd Feb 2021 3:12pm
donmacn

"Snap" from me too - though my car, at 1994 is even older than Will's.

The white goo under the second row seats was pretty horrible - as were the holes underneath. Because of the holes, I replaced my panels with the YRM kits. When I was putting the new metal in, I made sure to use a gasket of some description anywhere steel and alu. were paired together.

This applies to the steel brackets holding the second row seats to the footwell/floor (in the older style); the front seatbelt brackets onto the kick panel; the chassis to body mountings underneath; the nuts holding the rear tub onto the crossmember etc etc etc.

Also, where you might have a steel fixing (bolt/screw) going through aluminium you ought to try and separate the metals. Again, I've used nylon washers as gaskets sometimes, or 'duralac' - a marine "paint" sort-of stuff which is designed to separate alu. and steel in yacht masts etc.

Most of the moisture is probably coming from underneath, but do check that your rear side windows aren't allowing water in, which will run down there.

Finally - do look at, and consider the Gwyn Lewis mudshield kit - it helps to keep road spray off that location.

Can you tell yet that I hate alu. /steel corrosion...?

Edit - oops - I've just looked at your pics again, and I now understand better where it is. I thought it was the bit of the rear floor under the second row seats. All the stuff about separating alu and steel still applies though. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #882940 3rd Feb 2021 3:23pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Search on this site for duralac or galvanic corrosion. Plenty there.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Covering with dynamat is just about the worst thing you could do. It will trap moisture in and accelerate the issue.

JLR will do nothing about it, but a more conscientious manufacturer, Lotus, did a full product recall on the Elise when it had rubber mats bonded to aluminium foot panels in the Elise creating the same issue. Google will find you the steps they went to with their warranty repair.

http://www.hazelnet.org/corrosion/
Post #882963 3rd Feb 2021 6:12pm
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
I used to own a Elise and remember the recall luckily mine was not affected but it did get the new floor mats Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #882968 3rd Feb 2021 6:32pm
Supacat

I got two new floor panels and an extra set of mats for my Exige. Thumbs Up

A delightful manufacturer to deal with.
Post #882977 3rd Feb 2021 7:24pm
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
110CSWs are usually rife with similar corrosion after a few years!
Post #882982 3rd Feb 2021 7:35pm
BobBob

Thanks everyone, good to know I’m not alone!

I’m not sure that the deadening is going to be that bad as it’s all from underneath, so short of taking the rear tub out and treating it all then putting it back, not much I can do. And it will keep it out of sight. I’m going though and cleaning up all the internal metal work as I go and will include some isolation as advised.

Think I’ll clean and isolate where I can. ACF50 sounds like good stuff. I seem to have become a chemicals expert and hoarder rather than a Defender driver.
Post #882990 3rd Feb 2021 7:46pm
donmacn

I would really consider doing something underneath. I know it's not an attracive prospect right now, but if you put dynamat on that just now, without doing anything else, the hole will just get bigger and you won't know about it until too late. A real case of a stitch in time saves nine.

If you can get umderneath somehow and slot some sort of barrier between aluminium and steel that will help.

Even leaving it uncovered until spring when you have better weather to tackle it would be a better idea than dynamat just now. Donald

(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #882994 3rd Feb 2021 7:56pm
Supacat

BobBob wrote:
And it will keep it out of sight.

Just about the worst thing you could do Confused Moisture is your enemy, so trapping it there will only create an environment to accellerate the corrosion. Air is your friend ~ other than chemicals.
Post #883040 3rd Feb 2021 11:40pm
BobBob

thanks, I'll be underneath as soon as it's just a bit warmer, got pressure washer ready. It'll be cleaned and treated and sealed as best I can.

But still think it looks like panels need to be taken off, to get between steel and alu. properly. Will hold off covering it up from inside of course.

It's been waxoylied or something, but this seems to have gone in lots of places, but wouldn't want to re-seal and seal in trouble... . It'll hopefully be in a garage and dried out soon so hopefully can do a good job..
Post #883045 4th Feb 2021 12:06am
Supacat

I've pondered in the past how hard it would be to remove the issue completely, or at least in main, by not having an earth return via the chassis/mechanical components but cabled back to the battery via a number of isolated earthing nodes distributed around the vehicle?

Or whether adding something like the Red arc sysyem would improve or exacerbate the issue?
Post #883053 4th Feb 2021 7:37am
donmacn

^^^ I haven't heard of Red Arc and am not familiar with that.

Wasn't there a product once - some sort of powered anode/catalyst that you bolted to the car which then corroded sacrificially (instead of the chassis and bodywork!!). Something like you get on boats/yachts/outboards?

(Off to google Red Arc now) Donald

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #883096 4th Feb 2021 10:45am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Anodes on boats possibly. I seem to recall someone I knew changing them out which sacrificed instead of the hull ? 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #883103 4th Feb 2021 10:58am
Supacat

Post #883111 4th Feb 2021 11:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>