↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > 'Upgrading' Dash with SLK or Ministry of Defender?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JimboSails

United Kingdom 
'Upgrading' Dash with SLK or Ministry of Defender?
As part of my rebuild/restoration (saga) unlimited project - see https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic70410.html - I've been thinking about the dashboard set up.

Currently the car has a MudStuff console, and a raptor binnacle mount. Both of which are perfectly fine.

The car will have had so much time and money thrown at it that it would be a shame if the dashboard lets it down, so I'm looking at options. I imagine I will probably end up having the existing dash mostly refitted, perhaps with some nice alcantara trim in places.

But...

Defender Interiors offer a Puma style dash kit. I imagine I would have to blank off the vents (shame I ordered the new bulkhead with vents Rolling Eyes ) and it's probably a good time to upgrade to their combined heater and AC unit - don't think the TD5 AC would fit very well. They offer a cranked gearstick to replace the existing.

SLK 4x4 Custom offer a more industrial looking approach, building the dash into a single integrated unit. This would be pretty easy to install (as far as I can see) but doesn't look great 'as is', and might loose the vents again.

Anyone got any top tips, experience of either, experience of doing a lovely retrim/upgrade on a standard dash, advice...?!?

TIA!
Post #882330 1st Feb 2021 1:30pm
PCM

United Kingdom 
If you're going upmarket then I'd have the original leather wrapped in black with a colour stitch.
Only issue with this is you then will end up wrapping the door cards, head lining, visors, and probaly fitting new seats.
It'll cost ya, but with the quality of the other bits you're doing I think it's worth it in the end.
Mr. Green
Post #882510 2nd Feb 2021 2:39am
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
As PCM says, I’d look to get the standard one covered

Although personally I am not a fan of the mud consoles, I’d look to find the 2002 onwards updated dash as they are a bit neater but still factory

The SLK type dash is more suited to a challenge truck style vehicle with loads of accessories and switches, don’t get me wrong it looks smart but not sure it’s the best solution for a daily driver
Post #882524 2nd Feb 2021 9:06am
JimboSails

United Kingdom 
Super stuff, thanks both.

I've also been PM'd by another member who's said there are some good aftermarket binnacle 'upgrades' available from the US/Aus, which will make it look a bit more modern.

The 4x inward facing seats are being replaced, the middle row (which are premium high backs from Exmoor) being recovered, and the front seats will (probably) be re-cushioned and re-trimmed using a kit from Exmoor.

So, should be reasonably straightforward to do something that nicely matches the interior with mostly the factory dash. I can probably 'pimp' the mud stuff console up so it looks a bit better with a recover or similar.
Post #882589 2nd Feb 2021 12:24pm
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Hi,

A bit late to this thread...not sure if you've done your upgrade already?

I've taken the plunge (got lots of stuff wrong) and now have a genuine Puma dash in my 2002 TD5, albeit with a custom centre console for the AC and some Carling switches.

Here's a couple of pics. Still to do:
- The dash needs securing better as it's moved a bit and fouls the gearstick in 1/3/5 gear
- Aircon needs improving (I have an aftermarket solution but it's not up to the job)
- Might consider a Disco gearbox to move the gearstick away from the dash
- The homemade centre console needs replacing as the satnav is too heavy for it and it bounces around. I have a cunning plan for how I can adapt a double DIN console and use it with my custom aircon and heater controls.

Happy to help if any questions

Andy

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #926411 19th Oct 2021 6:20pm
labkode

France 2005 Defender 110 Td5 HT Keswick Green
Hi,

I'm rebuilding mine and I wanted a simple, rally-raid look dashboard with infinite possibilities for fitment and after more than a year of research I went with XSOffroad, a French company, I highly recommend them.

They offer this dashboard in black with ventilation holes or not.

http://www.xsoffroad.fr/habitacle-tableau-...-noir.html

Scroll-down here for more photos:
https://journaldu4x4.com/defender-v8-4-0l-xs-offroad/

Cheers,
Hugo
Post #936597 6th Jan 2022 3:52pm
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Looks cool - not seen that before!

I am about to swap out my hand-built centre panel and replace it with a genuine land rover double-DIN unit.

I have spent £££ on eBay buying switches, clock, clips etc - it would be cheaper to buy a Puma!!! Ha Ha Ha!
Post #936627 6th Jan 2022 8:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1