↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Down loading routes on ipad
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TACK

Down loading routes on ipad
Got an iPad and gps receiver, I also have motion x on then iPad.

I am on then pottlenoddle challenge next week with the guys on the D3 site, last year the route was given to us on a dongle and we downloaded the route on a pc (was with higgers so it was his pc) how would I get the route on my iPad with no way of connecting a USB to the iPad, Hope this makes sense Confused

Tack
Post #78853 3rd Jul 2011 9:47pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
If its jailbroken, i have a friend that uses the camera connection kit - which gives you a USB port which you can read.

If its not jailbroken, the camera connection kit will only show pictures, video and audio - so probably no good.

Other options:
If your Ipad is 3G can someone email it to you?
Put it on a Google or similar
Find a place with free wifi and drop it from a PC to your Ipad using one of the tools you can get from the app store depending on the type of file. Mike
Post #78857 3rd Jul 2011 10:04pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
One can import a GPX file into MotionX-GPS HD on the iPad. It is explained on the MotionX site (select Importing - Exporting in the sliding menu). Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #78860 3rd Jul 2011 10:09pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Or you can man up and get a proper mapping system. Whistle

The waypoints this year are very few, can you enter them manually? you will have to surrender drinking time to enter them. but then you cant have your cake and eat it, Whistle 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #78867 3rd Jul 2011 10:32pm
mse

I guessed the issue wasnt so much can you import with motion x, which is a yes.

More how do you get a file off a memory stick in a car park on to the i-pad to import it to motion x Mike
Post #78868 3rd Jul 2011 10:32pm
AndrewS

mse wrote:

More how do you get a file off a memory stick in a car park on to the i-pad to import it to motion x

As it happens the PC in the car park is the latest windows 7 Embarassed that has all the latest software, so I think its a case of what can the route be saved in that the ipad can read? 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #78873 3rd Jul 2011 10:38pm
mse

AndrewS wrote:
mse wrote:

More how do you get a file off a memory stick in a car park on to the i-pad to import it to motion x

As it happens the PC in the car park is the latest windows 7 Embarassed that has all the latest software, so I think its a case of what can the route be saved in that the ipad can read?

So its what file format do i need to save the waypoints and track in, in order to import them into motion x...GPX i think from memory.

Incidently (and to remind everyone i hate apple) the Motion X for the Ipad is very good and the Ipad can do everything you would need navigation wise a windows 7 PC could do - and may even work for longer than a windows 7 pc etc etc.

But anyway - andriod for me Whistle Mike
Post #78875 3rd Jul 2011 10:42pm
mse

out of interest went on their site:
Quote:
Q2. “How do I import waypoints and tracks?”

A2. Importing of GPX waypoints and tracks into MotionX-GPS HD is simple. Just send an email to GPSimport@motionx.com with your GPX file attached. You will recieve an email from MotionX. Open the email on your iPad's native email application and touch the link in the email. MotionX-GPS HD will open automatically and your data will be imported into Waypoints or Tracks. Please limit your import email to 12 waypoints or 1 track file. To import more tracks or waypoints just send multiple emails.
 Mike
Post #78876 3rd Jul 2011 10:43pm
TACK

That's right MSE, happy to get mm or another software but more of the issue of getting the route in the car park Thumbs Up I have got to jail break it to use the receiver so happy to try any method of down loading the maps, as there are not so may waypoints maybe not a issue now but would be good any case to find out how to use the iPad and apps properly though Bow down

Whats the point in having a cake and not eating it, thats like having a super duper mapping system and only using once a year. Whistle
Post #78877 3rd Jul 2011 10:43pm
mse

Im would need to ask my mate if there was any special app he used on his jailbroken ipad, but he definately plugs in the USB camera connection tool and then a memory stick and can use it.

My ipad isnt jailbroken - i like the warranty and i find everything my ipad cant do, my adriod phone can...so im happy to leave it

Have a play with it - the thing that i didnt like on the early version of motion x was the map download speed...but i understand they have fixed it, so i should really have a play with the new version.

Need to do some off roading in the discovery Mike
Post #78881 3rd Jul 2011 10:56pm
AndrewS

TACK wrote:
thats like having a super duper mapping system and only using once a year. Whistle

You should get out more then Wink Thumbs Up

You can use my Garmin 276c if you want its so easy to use, however you cant use it to read a book or scan bar codes on bananas. its good for navigation though Razz Razz Razz 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #78884 3rd Jul 2011 11:05pm
TACK

AndrewS wrote:
TACK wrote:
thats like having a super duper mapping system and only using once a year. Whistle

You should get out more then Wink Thumbs Up

You can use my Garmin 276c if you want its so easy to use, however you cant use it to read a book or scan bar codes on bananas. its good for navigation though Razz Razz Razz

Rolling with laughter thanks Andy, would be good to get the iPad running now I have the mount and gps receiver, I have a garmin navi as well which has a memory card, used it in Spain but had problems with it linking the way points together, but might work with what you are giving u's from your pc Smile If neither works I welcome your offer as a fall back position. See ya in 4 days Thumbs Up

Tack
Post #78979 4th Jul 2011 5:58pm
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Have any of you guys got the Memory Map free app on the iPad? How big are the OS Explorer maps for £10 a pop? I don't want to buy the £20 app as I don't have a PC (i have an Apple) to upload other maps from, which appears to be the only benefit of the £20 version of the app.

The free app and a few specific 1:25,000 OS Explorer maps would do me fine.

The MM website seems to suggest app downloaded Explorers would cover 131sqKm which seems tiny. I don't think this can be right.
Post #82120 27th Jul 2011 10:46am
leeds

United Kingdom 
110SEB wrote:
Have any of you guys got the Memory Map free app on the iPad? How big are the OS Explorer maps for £10 a pop? I don't want to buy the £20 app as I don't have a PC (i have an Apple) to upload other maps from, which appears to be the only benefit of the £20 version of the app.

The free app and a few specific 1:25,000 OS Explorer maps would do me fine.

The MM website seems to suggest app downloaded Explorers would cover 131sqKm which seems tiny. I don't think this can be right.

Barbara here answering this as Brendan wouldn't have a clue on this.
We have Memory Map on the Ipad, I went for the paid version for two reasons, one we already have a shed load of maps on disc and two, when I tried going out exploring with just the free version and the intention of getting maps when I wanted them I hit the snag of being in the middle of nowhere and onto another map and no way of downloading it.

This weekend we did a coast to coast green lane trip and the ipad worked brilliantly with Memory Map. I have transferred all our maps using itunes and it just worked (yes I use Apples too) The only snag we had was the charging the Ipad as the Belkin adapter would not work in the red 110 - it works in the Puma! Rolling Eyes
I ended up with a laptop on my lap charging the Ipad from that whenever we were on anything no particularly bumpy. Then had the hassle of the inverter not charging the Powerbook, I think the red 110 was sulking because the last few trips out have been in the Puma.

So the first thing I did when we got back was buy a Hypermac battery which will charge both.

Regards
Barbara
Post #82912 2nd Aug 2011 8:15pm
pom

you can get all the UK Landranger maps from that shiver me timbers site. Its just a case of copy and paste from the PC to the IPAD. doddle.

Pom
Post #82917 2nd Aug 2011 8:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1