↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Transmission mount
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Maybe it was one guy having forward planing but cost cutting meant he could not get the bush/rubber etc signed off then when he said ok remove it they also said no money for the redesign so it stays Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #880501 24th Jan 2021 11:02am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
My theory is that that mount is used on applications without transfer boxes and is part of the design cad pack and got "accidentally" included, but unless and until someone writes their memoires in 40 years time I doubt we'll ever know.

The OP should take comfort from the fact that at one time the purpose of the mount seemed to be everybody's first question, and our humour is aimed at that, not at him. Welcome to the forum!
Post #880508 24th Jan 2021 11:34am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Well, I used the bracket on the gearbox crossmember to support the gearbox when taking the transfer box out to replace the adaptor shaft (I took the adaptor housing with mount out as well). Now which other manufacturer thinks and makes that for the end user? So has a use, at least for me. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #880546 24th Jan 2021 1:56pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
They must have known how bad they had made the transmission parts on the tdci, so put a bracket in to help you lot.

I like your thinking Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #880548 24th Jan 2021 1:59pm
llessur

United Kingdom 
Back in 2010 I bought a new Puma which to say the least had too many delivery problems for a new vehicle. On my first journey I heard a loud speed related ticking noise from underneath, so naturally when I pulled up I looked underneath and noticed the "Missing gearbox mount" I thought "those excellent fitters at Solihull " or something similar, and called into the nearest dealer ( I was 100 odd miles from my dealer, at the time) so they could check the noise, and I could get them to order the mounting. Well they said they would order a mounting ( andlike many before I asked the question on this forum) Shocked Oh, they had sorted the ticking noise................ it was a nail in the tyre Rolling Eyes
Never did get a call back about the missing mounting, and being embarrassed about the ticking noise, I did not go back !
Post #880645 24th Jan 2021 8:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12