↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Kayak/canoe?? info please?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Kayak/canoe?? info please?
So what's the difference?

Is it like (old name) racer, (new name) road bike... Same thing, new name?

If I want one for lake type water (and or calm sea) what do I get??

It's all new to me and I like to try something new all the time !
My traction kite career kinda didn't take off (though I did) !!!
Post #82966 3rd Aug 2011 12:52pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
A Canoe is something Red Indians paddle about in! Canadian anyway! Big, pricey but very stable on rivers/lakes - good for a family! As far as I know it's about the hull shape and style so you can get smaller sit in canoes!

A Kayak is shown below either sit on like mine of sit in! "Sit ons" are alot more stable and don't fill with water, "sit ins" are less stable but quicker through the water!

I bought this yesterday an Ocean Kayak Trident 15 It's the biggest damn thing you can get Very Happy Same length as the Defender at 4.8 metres, nearly 16' Cost £800 then another £300 for trolley, paddles, seat etc etc. It's the top thing on the market for Sea Fishing Kayaks but you can get river kayaks for £400 and cheaper Thumbs Up

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by Zagato on 3rd Aug 2011 1:16pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #82967 3rd Aug 2011 12:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Thanks Zag Thumbs Up so can you get sit-ons for two, like a tandem??
Any advice on the best website for kit, good brands, bad brands?
What do you use that for, rivers, lakes etc.
Sorry for million questions...just keen that's all !

p.s someone rolled the digger Shocked
Post #82968 3rd Aug 2011 1:02pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Ocean going...see what I missed there !
Post #82969 3rd Aug 2011 1:03pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
This is a good site, took me a couple of days to find out what I wanted backed up with phone calls http://www.canoe-shops.co.uk/index.htm

Best thing would be to call them and get advice on what type of kayak for your use and go through the sites to compare specs etc. Prices are all pretty tight. I only managed to get 10% off mine.

Have fun Thumbs Up
Post #82970 3rd Aug 2011 1:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Sweet, thanks Zag Bow down

The canoe shop link has everything I need to know !!! Brilliant Mr. Green

Last edited by GREENI on 3rd Aug 2011 1:14pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #82971 3rd Aug 2011 1:12pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I am going to put a sail on mine http://www.kayaksailor.com/sailor_resources_faqs.html#17 which is why I went for something so big but I just like BIG Very Happy Laughing

I had great fun in mine yesterday I paddled the 1/2 mile to my boat, had lunch etc on board then spent the next 2 hours just paddling about in areas that I am terrified and can't go to in my Long Keel Yacht Shocked Running aground in a long keel is NOT an option Surprised
Post #82972 3rd Aug 2011 1:12pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
This is the main site/forum for River paddling Thumbs Up

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/
Post #82976 3rd Aug 2011 1:30pm
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Got both sit on and a Canadian both grt fun. As Zag said candian for river and lakes, be careful on large lakes/loch as not very stable with waves.

Sit on grt for sea we have a twin and a single seat. Wife on one and me and son on other.
Post #82985 3rd Aug 2011 3:04pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Having raced and coached canoe and kayak racing all over the world for many years I feel that can confirm the following ... Embarassed

A canoe is propelled by a single ended paddle from a kneeling position (but this can be varied in non-racing boats to sitting). The boat is often open for 7/8th of its length, but in white-water and slalom craft the boat is fully covered with a small cockpit.
The origins are given to the north American Indian -and are know in the sport as 'Canadians' - I used to race a C1 (single Canadian canoe) and C2 (double)
Whist a kayak is propelled by a double ended paddle from a sitting position and is fully enclosed with a cockpit. The origins here are given to the Greenland Eskimo who built a light weight sea going craft to hunt with.
again I raced K1 (single Kayak) K2 and K4 (double and 4 seat racing kayaks)

the sit on top (SOT) craft are 'technically' classed as a Ski, such as a wave-ski (short surf craft)or surf-ski (long surf lifesaving racing craft) We live in Cornwall and have competed in surf competitions on wave skis all over the UK, known as ‘goat-boats to the stand up surfers …! (as I’m sure some of my surfing colleges here will confirm)
The SOT's are making a big in road into the market as they are stable and reasonably safe, however the performance of the SOT is not able to match that of a kayak.

So it doesn’t matter what you paddle as long as you can get out and enjoy the water in a safe way! Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #82990 3rd Aug 2011 6:50pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Interesting Wyvern Bow down - be prepared to get bombarded with questions Very Happy

What are paddle keepers?
Why and how would you use a scuttle bung?
Is there a river/canal guide book. I fancied going on some stretches of the Thames and also the canals/river around Guildford - I have seen some sections of UK rivers are closed to Kayaks can you get info from anywhere?

Sorry for the questions.
Post #82992 3rd Aug 2011 7:02pm
wyvern

Hi Zagto
Paddle keepers are bits of cord that you pop around your paddles when in rough water or at sea so as if you loose hold of the shaft then the paddle will still be attached to your boat (like a leash on a surf board) only used on sea kayaks normaly nowadays -or for those who want to go fishing!! Very Happy

A scuttle bung is to help you empty a boat when its got water in it ... normally at the tail of the boat so after getting most of the water out, you undo the bung, up end the boat and let the residual water drain out.
The SOT's may also have one to equalise the air in the craft in hot weather.. so its a useful tool provided that you remember to put it back in before you set off again! Surprised

The BCU website will give you information on Access rights on most of the British waterways - the Thames is a licensed river, so you need to pay a fee to use it.
Most canals are also licensed, but joining the BCU gives you cover for all the British waterways and some of the rivers as well – as well as 3rd part insurance etc…
Google BCU and see their section on access rights etc..
Books and maps on waterways are easily found as most are in the British waterways listings as navigations. Amazon will also have some there as well. OS maps are equally as good as weirs and locks are shown on the maps.
Hope that helps
Embarassed Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #83004 3rd Aug 2011 7:47pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thanks mate, that's really helpful. A paddle keep should have come with my boat so I will pick one up from them!

I have just been looking at doing the Thames, Cricklade to Teddington 136 miles over 6 days maybe - that would be a great trip especially if I tied it in with raising cash for a charity Thumbs Up
Post #83007 3rd Aug 2011 8:00pm
wyvern

Hi Zagato
Thames decent –25 miles a day for a non-racer is a good distance and should take you about 6 days but it depends on the type of craft you intend to paddle. A true kayak is the best way to go as a SOT are much heavier and harder to carry when needed. Exclamation
If you are in a SOT,. Then make sure that you have your bum higher than your feet, have a good footrest, dont lean backwards (definitely no backrests!) have good paddles with proper hand grips, and don’t go too fast at the onset. Whistle
If you have not paddled before, or have only minimal experience, then I would strongly recommend you pop into one of the canoe clubs in your area (Adellstone, Royal, Richmond, Elmbridge) and ask for some paddling advice - as you can hurt yourself if you overstress your wrists and get repetitive strain injury through poor technique for that distance. Thumbs Up
I paddled Cricklade to Westminster in 27hrs non-stop some years ago ... but that was a fun thing to do as we were training a decent of the Mississippi that never came off and had to find a long downhill paddle to practice on! Embarassed Embarassed Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #83020 3rd Aug 2011 9:12pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I used to do a lot of white water in the Canadian's...although my canoeing stars were in a kayak - i got progressively more into canadians and less into kayaks - capsizing was just a pain, which was funny as my skulling became increasingly improved as my desire to capsize increased Whistle

Anyway - if you want to white water a canadian, you get inflatable bags (or you did when i was into it 10yrs ago) and they take up the majority of the void - i also knew people who would tie themselves into the canadian Shocked one man operation you need one *ideally* but not essentially - with a central kneeling seat which you straddle like a bike rather than the conventionally directed seats.

Good old days - reminding me of spuds and everything! still was more into climbing which is why i was the mountain instructor and my dad was the canoe and rafting instructor. Mike
Post #83023 3rd Aug 2011 9:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>