Home > Off Topic > Outdoor CCTV / lights / alarm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Landymatt

United Kingdom 
Outdoor CCTV / lights / alarm
Hi folks,
without coming across as being overly dramatic, we’re about to move house and I’m looking into how best to deter would-be intruders. The outside space I’m looking to light up / monitor / get a heads-up if there’s movement on is very roughly 100m x 100m and a driveway. We have dogs but sometimes they’ll likely come with us.
Don’t want something that relies on WiFi, but not averse to something duplicating some images online. Would like it to work if there’s a power cut, so a UPS or something similar I suppose. I’m planning on having lights come on automatically on movement, both for handiness forbid but also to help the cameras, assuming this helps. I wondered if there’s an integrated system of sorts or best keeping cameras and lights separate.
I’d be up for installing something myself, burying cables etc.
Has anybody come across a decent guide to doing this, or have any recommendations for decent, recent kit?
Please feel free to message me if you don’t want info out there, any pointers appreciated.
Cheers, Matt
Post #879091 17th Jan 2021 3:59pm
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
I have built my own system but with help from a friend in the trade. I am no expert but I have learnt a fair bit building my system which is a work in progress.
You need good kit not the cheap stuff you find at Costco etc.

Anything using cables is MUCH better than wifi etc.
Make sure your cameras are ONVIF compatible ( means you can mix./match kit & it should still work.)
Put ducting ( good large diameter)underground in straight runs - using duct grade Cat6 cable or Fibre optic for runs over 100m.
Fibre is very much future proof & easily upgraded & quality superb. Cost can be eye watering.Make sure you have plenty of draw cords & run sufficient cables to cover future upgrades.

Make sure you design the whole system from the word go and then build on it in stages rather than trying to do it one go.
I have Lilin cameras ( they have SD cards in if power or cables go down.) Their Starvis ones are superb- .003 lux - colour & .001 lux - black & white.

(1 lux equals the amount of light that falls on a one-square-meter surface that is one meter away from a single candle. 10 lux equals the amount of light produced by 10 candles one meter away. A camera with a 1-lux rating claims to be able to produce an image by the light of one candle that is about three feet away from the subject.)

There is NO substitute to physical security. CCTV merely tells you some is trying to get in/has got in or has gone!
You don't need additional IR lighting to that which comes with the cameras but if you do Raytech is superb ( some good buys on eBay).

Positioning of cameras is really important otherwise you just get the tops of heads etc - so sometimes it is best to go covert .

Best of luck.

Guy May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #879349 18th Jan 2021 5:54pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I have a mix of nest & Axis

Nest are great for notifications, i.e. inside garage / back garden etc coupled with Phillips HUE lights, can be set to light the whole house up if the motion sensor is tripped in the garage.

Axis for quality. (although the 2 new gen Nest IQ are pretty good)

Luckily I managed to acquire a bunch of high end Axis via work.
Post #879357 18th Jan 2021 6:44pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
For a 100m x 100m area, you probably need to look at external perimeter beams.

Even the best CCTV systems struggle with motion detection at extended range and if they are set sensitive enough to detect motion at a distance, then I guarantee many false alarms will follow!!!

Optex are a well respected professional brand for external beams and their kit is used in many high security environments.

Look also at GSM communication modules to alert you remotely if any of the alarm systems are triggered. Phone lines are easily cut, but a SIM card based communicator with its own battery back up will be more resilient.
Post #879364 18th Jan 2021 7:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1