↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Oil and filter change video (P400), vacuum extraction
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
umbertob

United States 
Oil and filter change video (P400), vacuum extraction
Made a small video of my first oil change, easy peasy from the top of the engine with a vacuum extractor. This should work on both P400 MHEV and P300 gasoline engines, not sure how different the procedure would be on diesel engines. Apologies, as always, about the accent and occasional ramblings.

2020 NAS Defender 110 HSE 5-seater / Silver / Khaki / Black Pack / Black Roof / Satin Film / Cold Pack / Off-Road Pack / Advanced OR Pack / Comfort + Convenience Pack / Sirius + HD radio / HUD / Meridian Surround
Post #881952 30th Jan 2021 3:24pm
vlad

Romania 
You make it look so easy! Thank you so much. MY2021 Defender 90 P400 SE
Post #881960 30th Jan 2021 4:10pm
Tim in Scotland

I think I might have to get a set up like that for intermediate changes as I’m not happy that the D240 is supposed to go 21000 miles between oil and filter changes. The oil in my car was black within the first day of ownership! I’ve also noticed that in 6000 miles/nearly 8 months ownership the oil level has only gone down a tiny amount, I’m used to the high carbon content engine blocks of previous modern LR engines absorbing maybe 25% of the oil in the first 6 months so assume this is more of an alloy than steel lump of an engine Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #881965 30th Jan 2021 4:21pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
Hi Umbertob

Can you please tell us the diameter and length of the tube you used to go into the sump.

What would be the biggest diameter tube you could fit in the dipstick hole?

Most of the systems sold in the UK have 2 sizes approx 5mm (3/16) and 8mm (5/16) dipstic tubes but are only 1M long (39")

Was thinking to fit a longer liner pipe over the standard tube to get longer if needed.

THANKS
Post #882133 31st Jan 2021 11:34am
umbertob

United States 
The hard plastic tube supplied for the dipstick is .24" in OD - 6 mm - and 41" long. Could the tube be a couple of mm wider? Perhaps it could - it appears the dipstick pipe of the Defender might take it, at least the top end - but that would only marginally speed up the extraction flow and time, which doesn't take very long at all to begin with (I timed it at 6 minutes using the pneumatic / air compressor option.) As the video shows, the 41" tube seems long enough for a thorough extraction.

There is another vacuum tube supplied with the unit, far shorter (maybe 16 - 18"), chunkier and made of more flexible clear plastic, which could be used to evacuate other types of fluids, but is obviously unsuitable for a dipstick. 2020 NAS Defender 110 HSE 5-seater / Silver / Khaki / Black Pack / Black Roof / Satin Film / Cold Pack / Off-Road Pack / Advanced OR Pack / Comfort + Convenience Pack / Sirius + HD radio / HUD / Meridian Surround
Post #882166 31st Jan 2021 2:05pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the info
Post #882177 31st Jan 2021 3:17pm
W84IT

United States 
I'm tempted to purchase one of those oil extractors but I pay only $179 for oil changes at my local JLR Dealership and I'm usually in and out in about an hour. Ray
2020.5 Defender 110 P400HSE
2016.5 Range Rover HSE
Post #887626 25th Feb 2021 3:40am
umbertob

United States 
LR Encino charges $250.00 near me. I should move to the deserts... Still, it's not so much about the $$$ savings (which would still be substantial over the life of the vehicle, especially if you plan on more frequent oil changes than what LR recommends, like my self-imposed 7500-mile intervals), it's the quality time you spend in your garage with your car, instead of the couple of hours it takes to get to the dealer and wait for them to do it. Plus, once my factory warranty is up I plan on switching to a much cheaper synthetic such as Mobil 1 EP, widely available for $5/qt and every bit as good as the OEM stuff, and my oil and filter change cost will drop to about $60/70 in parts and 15 minutes of my time on a Saturday morning. Hard to beat that. Thumbs Up 2020 NAS Defender 110 HSE 5-seater / Silver / Khaki / Black Pack / Black Roof / Satin Film / Cold Pack / Off-Road Pack / Advanced OR Pack / Comfort + Convenience Pack / Sirius + HD radio / HUD / Meridian Surround
Post #887759 25th Feb 2021 3:49pm
W84IT

United States 
I agree! Land Rover Rancho Mirage is only a 20 minute drive from my house so it's been somewhat convenient to just let them do it. However, I'm still considering doing my own oil changes just to spend a little more quality time with my favorite new Land Rover. Ray
2020.5 Defender 110 P400HSE
2016.5 Range Rover HSE
Post #887795 25th Feb 2021 5:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1