↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Series Land Rovers > 1958 88” Series 2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
seriesonenut wrote:
That's a great idea Fat Cog, I am still hunting one of mine!

I've started the thread...get typing! Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #879798 20th Jan 2021 7:53pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Slideywindows wrote:
Diesels on one side, petrols on the other? Question

The other interesting thing about that barn find is the sleeved holes in the No2 crossmember for fitting a capstan winch.

My diesel 109" doesn't have them.

Slidey, to be honest I can’t recall ever looking in the engine bay of a S1 diesel although Geoff Smith up here has a 109 and I have seen his vehicle several times.
The tubed holes on No2 crossmember I have seen numerous times on 107’s and possibly some 109’s although my 109 doesn’t have them.
Post #879897 21st Jan 2021 10:58am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The welded tubes in the No2 cross-member will only be present if the vehicle was ordered from the factory with a capstan winch. Any capstan installation after the vehicle was built would use Rivnuts instead of welded tubes.*

There will be relatively few vehicles/chassis which have these fitted.

A question for the SI experts, though, please, is this. I have an 80" chassis from a vehicle which was supplied as a CKD kit to Australia in 1953. This chassis has the welded tubes. In this case, would the CKD vehicle have been supplied with factory fitted tubes and complete with the capstan in the kit of parts, or would the tubes have been fitted "in territory" prior to the vehicle being assembled? Is there any way to tell? The tubes must have been fitted prior to the assembly of the vehicle, but unusually in the case of CKD vehicle there are two opportunities for this to have happened, hence the question. My feeling is that it is most likely that it was ordered from the UK and supplied as a CKD kit complete with capstan winch.

This is not something that I have ever seen discussed before.

* I suppose the exception to this would be if the vehicle has been rebuilt at some time and tubes welded in, or if the engine has been removed to allow them to be welded in. With a vehicle such as a Landrover anything could have happened, but the fitting instructions for the capstan when supplied as a retrofit kit state that Rivnuts should be used.
Post #879906 21st Jan 2021 11:38am
Slideywindows

England 
I think chassis with the sleeved holes were much more random than one may think.

It is more likely that a certain number of such chassis were produced, and were thus available if a customer actually specified a capstan winch with their order.

From what I have seen over the years, more chassis were produced with the sleeved holes than were actually needed, as the capstan winch was no great seller.

Equally, I expect a certain number of CKD kits included chassis with the holes, to make them available to buyers overseas, if the demand was there. This would avoid the need to ship out the capstan winch assemblies strictly together with a specific vehicle kit.

Anyway, my ex-BR 107" SI Station Wagon has the sleeved holes in its chassis, yet I am certain it never had a capstan winch fitted.

I intended to fit one of my capstan winches to the diesel 109"- and have drilled the no2 crossmember and fitted the rivnuts. I have two complete capstan winch assemblies, but as usual I became diverted to another project and haven't yet got round to fitting them. Embarassed

With regard to "Where are they now?" threads, I believe the Series Club forums already have them, but it would be nice to have a coilspring equivalent.
Post #879980 21st Jan 2021 5:48pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Fat Cog wrote:
Just stumbled upon this thread & rather enjoyed viewing the rebuild & thought the finished article to be simply stunning, in fact beautiful!

The pros & cons of restoring to factory finish are I think a personal thing & in testament to this I had my XS serviced yesterday at EH Douglas Wardington (excellent indy if anyones local to Banbury area) & when I dropped it off I saw a lovely, shall we say 'patina'd' (is their such a word?) 88" Series 2 & enquired if it was a barn find, only to be told it was a daily runner & that it was just in for a routine service, it was equally beautiful in a working lived in sort of way & I wished I'd taken a photo to present to you all.

Blue one with faded paint? 1970ish? 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #879998 21st Jan 2021 6:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BaronDefenders

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Santorini Black

Click image to enlarge

First outing of 2021 for the Series 2 last weekend. Ran beautifully. Only issues were a blown bulb and some corrosion on the battery terminals. It also looks like all 4 hubs have weeped at some stage. Will keep an eye on that.

Fingers crossed I’ll get it down to LR Legends on Saturday! Charlie

1949 Series 1 80 (SOLD)
2002 Td5 90 (SOLD)
2008 Freelander 2 (SOLD)

1958 Series 2 88 Pastel Green (2019 LR Legends Best Restored)
1983 V8 110 Limestone (Previously owned by Tom Sheppard MBE)
2004 Td5 90 Santorini Black (Td5INSIDE Powered & Rebuilt by CSK)
2012 Puma 110 Zermatt Silver (Overlanding Build)

Instagram: @BaronDefenders
Post #907250 10th Jun 2021 2:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234