↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Talk to me about sound-deadening
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
Talk to me about sound-deadening
So, long time away from the forum (blame Covid - I haven't been anywhere in any car for ages!) and despite searching, most of what I can find on this subject is comparisons between brands.

I was very lucky and Father Christmas nearly gave himself a hernia delivering two boxes of Silent Coat 2mm which is apparently enough for a 110. Now I just have to fit it...

I'm guessing I need some trim removal tools, a big bag of fir/christmas tree plastic fixing things, a solid rubber roller and colossal amounts of tea and patience?

I already have knives, cutting mats and straight-edges etc.

My plan is to work front to back, starting with the bonnet, bulkhead, gearbox tunnel and front seatboxes/footwells.

If I have enough I might look at taking off door cards and headlining.

My question is - have I gone wrong anywhere? Do I need to consider anything else or purchase any other supplies or accessories?

Thanks all and I hope you're all staying safe and well.
Post #878489 14th Jan 2021 6:15pm
kenzle8a

I bought a lot of Silent Coat for my 110 DC. However I've decided against it on further research I'm going to coat the panels (bulk head, roof, rear of cab, floor panels, doors etc) with Lizard Skin. I think I will use the Silent Coat on my Cooper S instead which doesn't suffer from the condensation issues the Defender has.
Post #878491 14th Jan 2021 6:23pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
Ah... that's worrying. Can you share a link or anything to the issue please?

I had read that Silent Coat uses mastic as adhesive, isn't that what seals shower trays etc? I wouldn't have thought a bit of condensation would be a problem?
Post #878492 14th Jan 2021 6:26pm
kenzle8a

I don't think theres any great risk with Silent Coat providing you don't cover the seams etc. I wasn't won over with the idea of just sticking things on the panels.

Since Silent coat is an anti vibration and I didn't like the bitumen coating / the need for a total vapour barrier with the tape etc. I also didn't like the idea of it being 'stuck on'.

Probably being more pendantic than I need to be with a farm truck, however I liked the idea of the Lizard Skin a lot more, it seemed to cover more bases (durable, paintable, longer term, ceramic insulation etc).

I was always put off seeing all these refurbished cars covered head to toe with dynamtt type stuff, I always thought there would be a better option so thats why I'm going with Lizard Skin.
Post #878498 14th Jan 2021 7:14pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Sorry for ot talent, how does lizard skin attach? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #878511 14th Jan 2021 9:08pm
kenzle8a

It’s spayed on like raptor, but rescues its own gun which comes in the kit, needs air though.
Post #878529 14th Jan 2021 9:50pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Don't be put off by lord-haggis - plenty of us have used Silent Coat to great effect and without issue. To get the best out of it, you need to combine it with some closed cell foam though, typically 6mm thick. The Silent Coat stops the panels reverberating whilst the foam absorbs airborne sound.

I started at the other end in my USW, including removing the head lining. So far, I've only done the roof, rear sides and tub plus the inside of a couple of doors and the difference is remarkable. This was it part way through the process:

Click image to enlarge

There's more details of what I've done on my build thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/post711655.html#711655 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #878548 14th Jan 2021 11:36pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
What LRA said. I did my 90 in the same fashion and went from listening to the radio on volume 15, to being able to comfortably listen to it at 10.
Post #878552 15th Jan 2021 6:57am
Fabio

Portugal 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I did mine during the last lockdown and although I didn't use silent coat, I think it is one of the best upgrades you can do to the defender.

Fabio
Post #878553 15th Jan 2021 7:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1